Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS IT ME OR HAVE PEOPLE FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE 227 HORSEPOWER ENGINE THAT THE GTI-R HAS? WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE TRYING TO OBTAIN THIS WONDERFUL ENGINE? WOULDN'T IT BE A PERFECT BOOST FOR THE G'S? AND IS IT POSSIBLE TO CHANGE THE STOCK TURBO OF A SR20DET FOR ANOTHER ONE??

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't think anyone has forgotten it, it's just harder to swap the Gti-r engine and more expensive than a Bluebird engine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You also have to swap a bunch of stuff, distributor, intake manifold, etc. From what I've read it's a pain, and it costs twice as much. For the same amount, you can get more out of the Bluebird.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
inkorekt said:
For the same amount, you can get more out of the Bluebird.
Bingo.

The GTi-R engine typically runs about $2,700 while the BB engine typically runs around $1,500-1,700.

For the extra $1,000-1,200, you could invest that in a BB engine and get a lot more power.

If you are going all out, IMHO a DE is the best place to start, assuming you are doing a full rebuild (a given if you are going all out).

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
digital_g20 said:
IS IT ME OR HAVE PEOPLE FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE 227 HORSEPOWER ENGINE THAT THE GTI-R HAS? WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE TRYING TO OBTAIN THIS WONDERFUL ENGINE? WOULDN'T IT BE A PERFECT BOOST FOR THE G'S? AND IS IT POSSIBLE TO CHANGE THE STOCK TURBO OF A SR20DET FOR ANOTHER ONE??
BTW, typing in all caps is generally considered shouting and rude. I'm sure you didn't know that, but I thought I would point it out to you for future reference.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
digital_g20 said:
what's the highest stage turbo you can put on a det
How much money you got? How fast do you want to go?

Seriously I'm not trying to be a dick. Those are the things you need to ask yourself first.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
An HKS GT3037 with a ball bearing center with a 56 trim compressor and .89 A/R turbine housing will support over 475hp at the wheels.

Of course you can just slap it on and expect to get that hp amount. You'll need a new fuel rail some 72lbs injectors a cobra MAF a JWT ecu or stand alone fuel management system. New clutch, fuel pump, different exhaust manifold, etc, etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey I've been trying to learn a little more about the GT3037, but can't seem to find a whole lot. I was wondering how streetable it is compared to say a T3/T4 - in terms of lag, power, etc. Do you know these figures, or could you point me somewhere where I could read up on it? Also, it will bolt onto a GTI-R manifold, correct?

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
That particular GT3037 that I mentioned is tuned for high power and will have a fair amount of lag but produce a tonne of power. The GT3037 and T3/04E are compareable turbos given the same basic specs (trubine trim, A/R, etc)

Either of these turbos will probably not fit on a GTi-R manifold. That's why you'll need probably an F-max log style manifold.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok, I was thinking I'd have to use a manifold such as the F-max anyways. However, from what I've read, I thought that the T3/T4, specifically the T3/T04E had a very streetable amount of lag (albeit more than the T25 I have now). Does it really have a ton of lag like the GT3037 you're describing? (sorry if I'm asking redundant questions, maybe I'll just go read se-r.net again)

·
Registered
424 Posts
g20ps said:
T3/T04E had a very streetable amount of lag (albeit more than the T25 I have now). Does it really have a ton of lag like the GT3037 you're describing? (sorry if I'm asking redundant questions, maybe I'll just go read se-r.net again)
what do you mean by "streetable lag"?
turbo with greater than 0.8 A/R have a tendency to lag
turbo with ball bearing help reduce the lag

typical Garrett turbos have good boost around 3500 - 4000 rpm.

ps, I've heard of "Fast Car" but never heard of "Fast Engine"! You meant to say "Powerful Engine"?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.