Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is $350 plus shipping a good deal for a Fidanza Ultra light flywheel. It wieghs 8 pounds and is brand new. Also it is pure billet aluminium. Would you guys buy it and is billet aluminium gonna explode and kill me? What do you think.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Better yet where should i buy one becuase the more i look the more i realize this isn't that great of a deal, i can find ones all over the place for this much. Anyone know where to go, or any of you dealers that can give me a better price. thanks

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Well, I can't help you shop, but I think I may be able to help you keep from making a poor decision. Are you absolutely, 100% positive that you want to live with an 8lb flywheel, or is this a weekend-only car? If you have to live through stop'n'go traffic, 8lbs really frightens me from a drivability standpoint. I know that guys do it all the time, but there are also guys that commute in 11-second cars; are you one of those guys? I think that I'd personally be a little happier with a 10-13lb wheel, but taste is subjective...

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
CowboyDren said:
Well, I can't help you shop, but I think I may be able to help you keep from making a poor decision. Are you absolutely, 100% positive that you want to live with an 8lb flywheel, or is this a weekend-only car? If you have to live through stop'n'go traffic, 8lbs really frightens me from a drivability standpoint. I know that guys do it all the time, but there are also guys that commute in 11-second cars; are you one of those guys? I think that I'd personally be a little happier with a 10-13lb wheel, but taste is subjective...
Although I know about how rotational mass affects acceleration, I'm a little lost on the issue of the 8lb vs. 10-13lb flywheel. How would 2lbs. make a difference in stop and go traffic?
:-\

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Don't think of it as 2-4 pounds, think of it as a 25-50% difference!

For a street car, you want a big, heavy, bulky flywheel that stores lots of energy. The stock wheel is something like 17-19lbs, isn't it? An 8lb wheel is only 40-45% of this? You just lost a lot of smoothness in acceleration from a dead stop. Once the car's rolling, the lighter the better, but I spend a lot of time idling at a dead stop, so I have to think about these things.

I haven't driven an SR-powered car with an 8-lb wheel, but I've driven one with a 12lb (IIRC) wheel, and it was just on the virge of being comfortable. That car was an NX, which I'm pretty sure is still lighter than a P10, so 12 still sounds like a really good weight to me.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Consequently, it's not absurd to get a stock flywheel lightened down to about 14lbs or so, sometimes even less, depending on how much you trust your machinist. This isn't as good of an idea as, say, buying a midgrade light wheel such as a JUN Lightweight (as opposed to Ultra-Lightweight). This is because a lightened factory wheel is just a lightened wheel, while a lightweight aftermarket wheel is exactly what it was intended to be from the very start. Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
CowboyDren said:
Don't think of it as 2-4 pounds, think of it as a 25-50% difference!

For a street car, you want a big, heavy, bulky flywheel that stores lots of energy. The stock wheel is something like 17-19lbs, isn't it? An 8lb wheel is only 40-45% of this? You just lost a lot of smoothness in acceleration from a dead stop. Once the car's rolling, the lighter the better, but I spend a lot of time idling at a dead stop, so I have to think about these things.

I haven't driven an SR-powered car with an 8-lb wheel, but I've driven one with a 12lb (IIRC) wheel, and it was just on the virge of being comfortable. That car was an NX, which I'm pretty sure is still lighter than a P10, so 12 still sounds like a really good weight to me.

CowboyDren said:
Consequently, it's not absurd to get a stock flywheel lightened down to about 14lbs or so, sometimes even less, depending on how much you trust your machinist. This isn't as good of an idea as, say, buying a midgrade light wheel such as a JUN Lightweight (as opposed to Ultra-Lightweight). This is because a lightened factory wheel is just a lightened wheel, while a lightweight aftermarket wheel is exactly what it was intended to be from the very start. Does that make any sense?
:-\ Well, kind of. I undestand the part of losing a lot of smoothness by going to a lighter flywheel. But since I have a power-robbing automatic, wouldn't a 10-12lb flywheel help improve the response and acceleration?:surprised

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I am almost 100% sure that since you have an automatic, this discussion doesn't directly apply to you. I can't find a flexplate nor a flywheel on an auto in my FSM for visual comparison, but I'm just scanning it. And you still don't seem to understand what a flywheel does, which is probably why you don't understand why an 8lb wheel on a car with a manual transmission is too light.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My buddy has a 8 pound chromolie (sp) on in his SI daily driven and its fine. As for you guys not approving a 8 pound flywheel thats all just opinion and speculation which wasn't asked for here. Thanks but when i post something along the idea of is an 8 pound flywheel too light then sure i want that kind of response but other then that nobody really answered my question of is this too expensive which the more i shop it is. Anyways not to be ungreatful but this was a no help with that question. Thanks anyways. Great insight on the idea of a lighten flywheel though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts