Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. Here is a list of items I'm taking for my 10K road trip to Alaska and back for my 93.5 G20... If anyone can think of something off the top of their heads that I should have with, please let me know!

- bought an extra fuel injector (bringing right tools to change too)
- an extra set of windshield wipers
- 1 extra bottle of windshield fluid (heavy duty bug stuff - green)
- 2 full sized spare tires on rims (took out my back seat to accomodate this)
- basic tools for changing things if necessary
- my AAA card (will work in Canada also)
- 1 extra quart of oil (using synthetic)
- bottled water (to drink or use in radiator if needed)

I know I'm probably being over-cautious but I've never gone on such a huge road trip before with an 11 year old car! ...not that I don't have confidence in my G20 mind you..

What I've done to the car in prep:

- tranny flush (with machine at dealer)
- belts changed
- fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, wires --- basic tune up stuff done
- put in synthetic oil after flushing of old oil so crankcase looks clean and old oil looked clean (did 4 flush and fills with regular oil over the past 2 weeks)
- added mud flaps, mesh and headlight covers for road rock protection on unpaved routes
- new factory flexpipe installed

....that about covers it!

--when I get to Seattle, I'll be buying a used but usable condition muffler and center pipe to replace my rusty one and my muffler itself it getting noisy from the inside because I don't see any visible holes from rust yet

:nervous:

·
Registered
306 Posts
wheels...

You should really swap those '99 15" wheels for some '95 14" wheels with Michelin X1 tires. EVERYONE knows you should only use 14" Michelin X1 on the road to Alaska. As a matter of fact, I know someone that will swap you even up...ME

:D

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL

Nice try...

I have the 14's with Bridgestone RE92s (for emergency purposes only).. along with a fix-a-flat plugs and compressor I forgot to mention...

..and my 15's have RE92 also so all the tread patterns will be the same as well as the ride height....

...but if I really wanted to use 14" rims, I could of done that too since I have 5 14" rims in total... (grin)

·
Registered
201 Posts
are you making the venture by yourself. i've known you were going, but didn't know if you were taking passengers. i hope you are so someone can talk to you late at night. also is it 10k one way or round trip?

some more things to take:
1)lots and lots of good music-some recommendations:
rage against the machine or limp bizkit for when you're behind somebody going real slow or are in the mood for kicking ass while you drive :evil:. john denver for when you're climbing some mountaintops =) . bob seagar for when you feel like a trucker :smoke: . techno for late at night when you get tired :cool: . classical for when you're relaxing with the cruise set :*(. hard core rap for when you are driving through the back country and feel like you need some ghetto in your life (might i recommend old school dr. dre or 2pac) :bandit:

2)radar detector. if you don't already have one, and if you can swing it, get a valentine one http://www.valentineone.com/home.asp

3)road atlas

4)that fake gas stuff i told you about in your thread about mpg http://www.rescue.pennzoil.com/main.html

5)slime. www.slime.com it's stuff you put in your tires and if you get a puncture, the slime fills that opening and drys. if you do this i would only take one extra tire, but that is my opinion.

sounds like you are ready to go. have a safe trip.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks...

NO way I'd do this alone! There are 2 of us going.... one of which happens to be an Infiniti master mechanic (did I forget to mention this tidbid?)...

...and 2 big purchases have just been made specifically with this trip in mind...

1) Garland GPS/Map thingy... works fantastic... tells you where the closest exit is and what is at that exit (what gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc...) -- how wonderful technology is! This is almost better than having Navigation because this is portable navigation for anywhere! (camping, other cars, hiking, etc!)

2) a new MP3 player was just purchased at lunchtime today with plenty of storage for lots AND LOTS of tunes... many will include what you already mentioned ---thanks...

3) radar detector will stay at home for this trip because it is illegal to use in Canada anyway.... and even if it is off and in your car, you can get it taken away in Canada...

4) bottle of goo for wheels/tires was discussed but advised against so we are taking the 2 spares (1 will be donated to StoneAge Tech in Fairbanks if he is there when we get there and if we didn't need one yet)... PLUS we are taking the plug kit for nails, etc along with a compressor

5) we discussed the fuel thing and decided that since we have this Garmin GPS Map thing AND we will fill up at every small town we get to between Dawson's Creek and Anchorage -- per advise from AAA.. that we should be o.k. in this department... 1 gal of extra emergency fuel will only get us 30 miles and chances are that if we waited that long to get fuel, it would be more than 30 miles to the next fuel stop!

6) It is 4000 miles one way from Chicago to Anchorage... We are coming home via Seattle so that will add more miles since our way there will be via more a diagonal route ---Chicago, Minneapolis, Fargo, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Dawson's Creek, etc... and the way back will be on I-90 from Seattle... I don't know what that 'L' shape of mileage will be!

...BTW: We leave on Friday at noon...

AND the PC will be with us so I'll try to check in on the board when I can... and will perhaps post updates!!! ...and we'll have the digital camera with too so I can post photos if unusal things -- IE. interesting other G20s and/or my G20 in interesting spots!!!
=)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hey,

Don't forget to bring a Squegee,(spelling? you know, a rubber window washer blade.) :p Comes in handy with the bugs when bug juce won't cut it.

I hope you find time to post updates. I've been thing of driving up to Vancouver B.C. because I need to break in my RX7, and just for the hell of it.

What is your expected trip time?

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
trip time...

We are taking 3 weeks vacation... starting with a 1/2 day on Friday and have to be back at work on Monday, June 17th.

We wanted to get to Anchorage within 5 days... meaning 800 driving miles a day... (or 13.5 hours at 60mph) .....but we are not counting friday so whatever bonus miles we can get in on Friday will help...

...Unfortunately, Getting out of the greater Chicago area will be a challange since I-90 is under construction and friday's are always traffic hell days!!!

Thanks on the squeegie advise!!! I just added it to my list and will most definately take it along!!!!

We hope to have time to stop at Vancouver B.C. too but we will see how much time we spend in AK.. We want to make it to Seattle by June 11th or 12th... and then stop at Mt. St. Helena's, and possibly Yellowstone on the way back along with the badlands and other areas on the return from the northwest!!!!

...we already invested in a National Parks Pass for the trip too!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
i see you've already thought of my ideas. good call w/ the gps thing. that should be real helpful. i didn't know radar detectors were illegal in canada, but i guess i broke the law when my friends and i drove from chicago to toronto a year and half ago

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Re: trip time...

Chris said:
We hope to have time to stop at Vancouver B.C. too but we will see how much time we spend in AK.. We want to make it to Seattle by June 11th or 12th... and then stop at Mt. St. Helena's, and possibly Yellowstone on the way back along with the badlands and other areas on the return from the northwest!!!!
If you stop at Yellowstone, make a quick jet down to the Grand Tetons, camping is way cheap if you get there early, spaces go quickly....amazingly beautiful and way less crowded than Yellostone.

You probably already thought of this, but a Tire Gage....definately a Tire Gage...and one of those emergency blankets, or any blanket for that matter, Im sure it still gets pretty cold up there at night, just in case...food, dont forget food...

I wish you the best....may the force be with you....and drive safe!

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yup...

..just went food shopping yesterday for stuff...

..for emergency purposes we have the following: flairs, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, blanket, pillows, flashlight, emergency fanbelt thing, and emergency radiator repair kit

...thanks!

:cool:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Chris,

Some recommendations on things not to take with you. I ran the Cannonball One Lap of America for four years (1985-1988). We drove 9000 miles in 9 days. I have looked at your list and think you have packed well, but.....
I would leave the oil, windshield washer fluid and extra tires at home. You can buy oil and washer fluid along the way. It just takes up valuable room and the bottles might leak or get punctured. You will find that all you need is the standard spare tire. If you get a flat you just change it and get the original tire repaired at the next service station you come too. This is a mistake that a lot of competitors in the One Lap made the first couple of years. Those tires will take up a lot of room, add a lot of weight to the car, smell (rubber does smell!), and mostly pose a threat to the both of you if you were to stop suddenly or hit something. The best advice I can give you for long distance driving is to take a small but good collection of tools (wrenches, socket set, assorted screw drivers, etc.) and to make sure you both get enough sleep. You will also find that fast food is tiresome after awhile. Make a point to actually stop once and awhile and get a good meal. You seem to have prepared well, enjoy your trip!
By the way I am picking up a new 2002 G20 Sport 5-speed in Royal Ruby this weekend. I live in the Detroit area and the car is in Chicago.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks...

...but there are big sections of no-man's land that is unpaved/gravel road and I've been told by several people and based on advise from an Alaska road trip book to take a full sized spare... 1 of them is in the wheel well where the donut was.. and the other in a plastic bag (double garbage baged actually) in the passanger back seat area (seats were removed to make room)...

The G has synthetic oil and it would be harder to get so I double bagged one quart of oil just in case we need it -- although it has never used oil or has any leaks I just feel better with it! ...but you have a good point on the windshield fluid... to bulky and easy to get a leak... water will work in a pinch for this!

...we leave at 5am tomorrow morning..

Enjoy your new G!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
jjacob said:
Chris,

Some recommendations on things not to take with you. I ran the Cannonball One Lap of America for four years (1985-1988). We drove 9000 miles in 9 days. I have looked at your list and think you have packed well, but.....
I would leave the oil, windshield washer fluid and extra tires at home. You can buy oil and washer fluid along the way. It just takes up valuable room and the bottles might leak or get punctured. You will find that all you need is the standard spare tire. If you get a flat you just change it and get the original tire repaired at the next service station you come too. This is a mistake that a lot of competitors in the One Lap made the first couple of years. Those tires will take up a lot of room, add a lot of weight to the car, smell (rubber does smell!), and mostly pose a threat to the both of you if you were to stop suddenly or hit something. The best advice I can give you for long distance driving is to take a small but good collection of tools (wrenches, socket set, assorted screw drivers, etc.) and to make sure you both get enough sleep. You will also find that fast food is tiresome after awhile. Make a point to actually stop once and awhile and get a good meal. You seem to have prepared well, enjoy your trip!
By the way I am picking up a new 2002 G20 Sport 5-speed in Royal Ruby this weekend. I live in the Detroit area and the car is in Chicago.
Hmm and I thought I had lots of experience going on long drives. Good points. I think one of the most overlooked things is not bringing enough money. Bring A LOT of money, but not in cash unless you're looking to get robbed. A credit card or some other kind of card like that will save you many times if you need to buy something unexpectedly *it's cliche, but expect the unexpected*.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
By the way a few other things you probably have already done but I didn't see them on your list.

Fuses. Make sure you take enough spare fuses, especially since you are probably taking more electronics on this trip. There is nothing worse than driving 300 miles without tunes or lights, or wipers. A spare headlamp bulb and brake light bulb is also a good idea. Gravel roads have a habit of making old bulb filaments break. They usually expire at two in the morning or 300 miles from the closest store. A small VOM (volt-ohm-meter) or test light is also handy. In the long distance driving I did, we did go through some fuses, bulbs, and had a need for the meter a time or two.
I have been to Alaska. You will be amazed.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oooo....

I already do have 2 9004 headlight bulbs packed in case.... along with headlight covers to avoid breakage... thanks... AND I have several tools with (along with the Infiniti master mechanic for a travelmate)... BUT I didn't even think about the fuses! Good call and thanks!!!! There will be lots of extra things being plugged into the cigarette lighter... Laptop, GPS, Cell phone, etc... so that was a very good call ..thanks!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts