Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you need the antenna if you only use FM and CD. I've heard the antenna is only for AM and the FM is in the rear window.?

·
Registered
411 Posts
PHILLYP10 said:
do you need the antenna if you only use FM and CD. I've heard the antenna is only for AM and the FM is in the rear window.?
uhh, in a p10?? there isnt anything in the window as far as i no. however, if u do have an external ant, there WONT be one in the widow. it would be pointless. yes, am is harder to get. but u still need the ant. for fm or else it will be fuzzy as u drive. and cut out under a power line.

what makes u ask this ? thinking of getten rid of ur ant?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, because the antenna is a little too big and i think it makes the car look older. any suggestions to what i should do? my mom had a j30 and since the antenna was so big it would get stuck on things and eventually broke.

·
Registered
411 Posts
ya i no what u mean i hated that huge ant. i replaced mine with a shorter and skinner one. most fm stations come in good, but there are some that come in a little fuzzy. i am think the reason is b/c now my ant doesnt go over the roof of my car when the previous one did. just a thought though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
my litl g20 said:
uhh, in a p10?? there isnt anything in the window as far as i no. however, if u do have an external ant, there WONT be one in the widow. it would be pointless...

In the P10 there actually is an antenna in the rear window. The manual calls it a "Diversity Antenna". It looks like the defroster, except it doesn't defrost. It's up at the top and doesn't connect to the heating elements on the side. However, I don't know if it is able to function properly without the main antenna. I also don't know if it is present in the P11.

FYI, it is possible to relocate and maybe hide the main antenna. I've seen the results, but I don't know the procedure. You may come across it by searching. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Money G20 said:

In the P10 there actually is an antenna in the rear window. The manual calls it a "Diversity Antenna". It looks like the defroster, except it doesn't defrost. It's up at the top and doesn't connect to the heating elements on the side.
i had heard of that but i thought that was a fariy tail. i cant see y you would need 2 ants?

·
Registered
194 Posts
my litl g20 said:
i had heard of that but i thought that was a fariy tail. i cant see y you would need 2 ants?

Don't think of it as two antennas, rather as one antenna that has twice the functionality. I think the window portion is supposed to help in picking up signals among lots of interferance (city driving), and the mast portion is designed to do better at picking up far away signals. This would seem logical to me, but I'm not an expert on the subject.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts