Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys. I need your help, input, anything. Just recieved the PIAA Ion crystal bulbs for my foglights. Not realizing it didn't come in pairs, I only recieved one bulb for now. I already ordered another one. Ok, here's the problem. So I decided to just put one in and see how it looks compared to the stock one. I take apart the foglight and insert the bulb ( I know the bulb doesn't fit correctly inside the housing, but that I can fix later. I just wanted to lay it in the foglight housing and turn it on to see how they look) After the new bulb is inserted on the one side I then go to turn on the foglights. BAM !! perfect ! Looks tite. As i am looking at the stock foglight bulb on the one side and looking at the new bulb on the other, I'm thinking I can't wait to get the other Ion crystal bulb ! so I'm a happy camper , so I take out the new bulb and put the stock one back in for now until I get my other Ion crystal bulb. Go to turn on my lights just to make sure that everything works and BAM !! Foglights don't turn on ! I'm thinking maybe I didn't plug the two wires in tight enough. I check that, it's tight. I check the stock bulb to see if it's broken. Nada, it's good as new. I then thought, maybe if I put the Ion Crystal bulb back into where I had it before, it'll work. I tried that, the foglights didn't come on :( So now I'm here, thinking I'm screwed. I just paid $200 on foglights a few months ago and now they don't even work. I know i couldn't have blown a fuse or anything? I didn't do anything too extreme or play around with the wires. All I did was test out one new Ion Crystal bulb in one of the foglights? could it be b/c one of the bulbs when I tested the foglights was stock and one was the aftermarket bulb?? Did that screw up everything? please guys, i'm in desperate need of some help. I'm not buying new foglights after I spent good money on these and now I can't even use them. If I take it to the dealership, they will charge me an arm and a leg to get it fixed? I appreciate any help !! thanks guys !!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the relay box already. How can you tell if you blew a fuse in the relay box? I took out the Foglight relay plug and re-seated it back in. That didn't do anything :( I only had the foglight on for about 30 seconds and then I switched the one Ion crystal bulb back to the stock bulb. after that it hasn't worked since..... The PIAA Ion crystal bulb has a wattage of 55 but an output wattage of 85. That could have melted my harness or blown it? But A LOT of people are using this same bulb and no problems with theirs. I'm not too technical when it comes to the electrical aspect of cars so any help is very appreciated. This is very frustrating :*(

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I agree, I think the fuse for the fog relay is blown. The way you check to see if it is blown or not is pop out the fuse, look at it under light and if the metal piece inside is seperated, melted or not complete in any way, the fuse is blown. I would recommend you take the car to a stereo shop and let them take a look. They will use their handy 12 volt test light to check if the fuse is blown. Fuses are cheap so you better hope thats the problem :cheeky: hope this helps

·
Registered
710 Posts
There should be other "blue fuse relay blocks" they are all the same ...swap one out temporarily and see if that fixes the problem, if so, order a new one from the dealer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WickedG20- I checked the fuse box inside the car next to the hood release lock. Opened up the little lid thing and didn't see any fuse that was for the "foglights" ??? Is there another fuse there that's for the foglights, but doesn't say "foglights" ????

·
Registered
424 Posts
first off, did you remove the negative wire on the battery?

secondly, you should never mismatch lightbulbs, especially if they have different output wattage,

thirdly, because of the second, the fuse blew. wait until you receive the other ion crystal light, and replace them. hopefully that should rectify the problem, if not....oooh ooh...hate to say this but it could be the hardness

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
I don't think anyone mentioned this...

Here is the most likely senario...

#1 Forget the relay. It is not blown or burned out, that's why there is fuses.

#2 Our foglight bulbs are H3 and they have 1 wire on them (positive). The metal casing of the bulb and the metal casing of the foglamp assembly are the "ground". There is a wire (ground) which attaches to the foglight casing.

When you put the new foglight in, did you properly cover the "positive" bulb connector with the rubber cover and tubing?

If this connector touches any part of the foglamp casing you will cause a short and blow the fuse.

#3 Make sure you covered the connection to the bulb with the rubber piece and then replace the fuse which you blew out. It's in the fuse box next to your battery and is near the fuses for your headlights.

This has happened to a number of people. ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the input ! It gives me a little more positive reinforcement =) I'm gonna try with what b-boogie said. G-loads makes sense with mismatching the bulbs at the same time. I just wanted to see the ion crystal bulb compared to the stock bulb since I only had one crystal bulb for a minute anyway. But I will wait till I get the other ion crystal in before I try it again. Yeah, I don't think it's the relay. That wouldn't blow anyway b/c isn't the foglight relay used for when using the highbeams? I didn't even turn on the highbeams. But anyways, thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it again. peace

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey !! I just checked the fuse box right next to the battery in the engine bay !! what did I find ? I broken fuse for the foglights !!
whew !!! I didn't even know the fuse box was in there. Yesterday I checked the fuse box in the car above the hood latch release and I was saying to myself there's no fuse that says foglights or anything. I'm learning new stuff about the G20 everyday. I didn't even know there was a fusebox next to the battery in the engine bay. Thanks B-Boogie !

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Yep.. there's 2! ;)

Before you replace it I would seriously check what I said about the positive bulb connector.

Replace the fuse afterwards and you should be good.

If you get one of those multi-packs with a bunch of fuses, go ahead and just replace the fuse first.

Turn on your foglights and guaranteed it breaks the fuse again. Even if you just turn them on for a split second.

I'll bet you $1,000,000 Monopoly dollars that you are shorting out the positive connector against the grounded assembly case, which causes the fuse to instantaneously blow.

:asian:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts