Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when driving, I once and a hile have this "mushy" feel from the front end...The steering wheel, will kinda shimy a bit (like riding on rails) but it will go right back to going staight...It is kina of weird...

Coiuld it just be an alignment? I have checked everything underneath the car and everything "looks" OK, but I am not sure...It is not that the car pulls ALL the time, rather just once and a while and usually when accelerating....Any ideas would be great...it is a 93.5 with 103,000 miles...It just had a front right inner CV boot replaced as well....could it be something like that?

·
Registered
424 Posts
It could possibly be the alignment problem, but it couls also be a slanted road that you were driving on? hehaheh

·
Registered
710 Posts
lukeyc3 said:
when driving, I once and a hile have this "mushy" feel from the front end...The steering wheel, will kinda shimy a bit (like riding on rails) but it will go right back to going staight...It is kina of weird...

Coiuld it just be an alignment? I have checked everything underneath the car and everything "looks" OK, but I am not sure...It is not that the car pulls ALL the time, rather just once and a while and usually when accelerating....Any ideas would be great...it is a 93.5 with 103,000 miles...It just had a front right inner CV boot replaced as well....could it be something like that?
Ehh its the road...mine does that too....when u accelerate you're getting some torque steer i do believe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am not 100% sure but the pull that you are feeling is completely normal all cars do this (pull one way or another) because the power distribution is not even between the two wheels. You will only notice this during acceleration. If it is happening all the time I would bet there is an alignment problem. Again I am not 100% sure so if there is someone else that knows the reason let me know if I am right or way off base.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
According to Car and Driver:
A tendency for a car to turn in a particular direction when power is applied. Torque steer is common in front-drive cars because reaction forces created in the half-shafts can generate uneven steering forces in the front tires.
But also according to Car and Driver, the G20 is designed well enough that there isn't any torque steer at all *not that the G20 is a torque monster or anything* and honestly, I've never really ran into a problem like that. Sentras and Civics on the other hand....

·
Registered
455 Posts
I don't notice any torque steer on my G20 unless I am turning and accelerating really hard at the same time. But the torque steer is mild...even with mods such as intake, header...

However, when I drive my 95 Altima [AT], the torque steering is much more "noticiable". That's because KA is a torque monster, but it never bothers me. It kind of give different charactistics to these two cars...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Nothing wrong with the KA engines, but I just find it sad when I pop open a 240SX to see it. To think... our SR20s are supposed to be in that chassis. Sad...sad...

Sport Compact Car had this idea with taking the KA cranks and putting them in the SR20DE *same bore* but wouldn't taht defeat the purpose of the SR engine? Long stroke = nice torque + bad high end power/rpms

·
Registered
455 Posts
FF Drifter said:
but wouldn't taht defeat the purpose of the SR engine? Long stroke = nice torque + bad high end power/rpms
QR25DE, you mean... QR25DE is derived from SR and KA motors...
I testdrove the SE-R Spec V. It's nice off the line. But it redlines at 6,000rpm or so. I have to upshift quite often...

But still, I don't mind buying one.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
nah, the KA was used in older altimas. The QR25DE isn't derived from SR or KA, but is supposed to replace both *powerful and torquey like KA, but lightweight and high revving like SR, sez Sport Compact Car*

QR engines are torque monsters cuz of their super long stroke, but that gives it the same weaknesses as the KA *I don't see how it replaces an SR* but Nissan left it "incomplete" as evidenced by its torque curve being set up a lot higher than its horsepower graph. What does this mean? It's highly tunable *consider for example that no japanese car has such a torque/horsepower relationship except for tuner cars such as silvias and skylines*

But still, I'd rather have a P11 G20 than the SE-R Spec V.... not as quick, but nicer to drive (that Rockford Fosgate system though...ooh jealous)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Similar problem

Sometimes when I'm slowing down(not necessarily braking) I can feel a slight shaking in the steering wheel. At first I thought it might be a problem with the brakes, like a warped disc or something, but I noticed it does it even when I'm not braking. My mom's old van used to do the same thing... but a lot worse. I think it was front wheel drive, too.
Over the summer I jumped a curb and blew my left front tire(while delivering a pizza no less) and when I got the tire replaced the guys at the shop said my left front shock was leaking. I've noticed that since then my car's ride is very jumpy. So now with the shimmying steering wheel I'm thinking I might need to replace more than just the shocks, like maybe I messed up some other suspension components. Anyone notice any thing like this in their G?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
FF Drifter said:
...I've never really ran into a problem like that. Sentras and Civics on the other hand....
Sentras OTOH don't do it either.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
nelam said:
QR25DE, you mean... QR25DE is derived from SR and KA motors...
How do you figure?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Re: Similar problem

Stevo said:
Sometimes when I'm slowing down(not necessarily braking) I can feel a slight shaking in the steering wheel. At first I thought it might be a problem with the brakes, like a warped disc or something, but I noticed it does it even when I'm not braking.
Could be the damper, but probably not. I'd guess either the balljoints, tie-rod ends, or even steering rack bushings. It could even be the lower control arm bushings.

Also, we've had to replace the third link twice. Once due to contact with a curb and once due to running over a forklift fork.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Re: Re: Similar problem

Geo said:
Also, we've had to replace the third link twice. Once due to contact with a curb and once due to running over a forklift fork.
Hey that's not the third links fault. Quit bad mouthing the third link! ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Re: Re: Similar problem

Geo said:

Could be the damper, but probably not. I'd guess either the balljoints, tie-rod ends, or even steering rack bushings. It could even be the lower control arm bushings.

Well that certainly narrows it down... :cheeky:

Thanks, though, for confirming my suspicion that I'm going to need to take my car to a professional pretty soon to figure out what's wrong. Hopefully getting this fixed won't fully deplete my already meager performance-mod budget. DAMN CURBS!!!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Yo Stevo,

Does your tire rub inside the wheel well when you go over bumps? That's seems to be a constant problem with my right front tire. I was planning on getting it checked out at the Texas Rally to see what it could be.
I've taken my G to a few shops and the usual response is either the wheels are too wide or get new shocks. So don't be surprised if they shrug their shoulders after looking at your car and give you the same response. :-\

·
Registered
142 Posts
No, I've never experienced any tire rubbing. The ride is just really jumpy and sometimes the steering wheel starts wobbling when I'm slowing down to a stop. And sometimes it feels like its pulling to the right a little bit. BTW this is with the stock suspension.

In some ways I see this as a blessing since its an excuse to upgrade my suspension. I almost had my dad convinced over spring break that the JIC's were the way to go. Almost. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts