Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 2002 infiniti g20 sport package.

let's just say HYPOTHETICALLY from 1 to 10 (10 being super tight cornering that hugs the line and 1 being crap cornering skills), the p11 is 6 (hypothetically).

if i bought a front strut bar, how much improvement will it be? up to 7, 8, 9, 10, or even 11 even though it's a 1-10 scale?

im just trying to get a sense of how valuable front strut bars are by itself. im getting a new car in a year or two, so i dont want to drop money on a coilover kit (unless u guys convince me it's worth the 1-2 yrs fun). meanwhile, a front strut bar seems like an inexpensive upgrade.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Maybe 7. The rear strut and sway bar make more of a difference. And a coilover makes the most difference. imho

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
yes get front and rear stb's at the same time to enjoy the car. then upgrade the rest later. Im not good with the scale stuff

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
To be honest...

If I were owning a car, and I knew I was going to get rid of in 2 years, I'd still mod the car, and beat the hell out of it for those 2 years and enjoy the ride.

However, for most people, if they owned a car that they knew they were going to get rid of in 2 years, they probably wouldn't mod it, just because of the hassle of de-modding it, trying to sell the mods, feeling like what you spent, you didn't get to enjoy for a long enough period of time to make it worth the money, etc.

It's up to you...

If you're a driver, you'll spend the money, make it enjoyable and not stress over how long you'll have the car, you'll do it all, and you'll do it right, or make do with what you got and still smash.

If you just enjoy driving, I don't think getting a FSTB + RSTB will be worth it to you, maybe just get a WAI and exhaust to enjoy the sound.

FSTB + RSTB combo: You'll feel a slight difference at the entrance and exit of turns, things feel a little tighter on the entrance, and a bit more stable on the exit.

However, the $400 you'd spend on the FSTB + RSTB combo, you'll get more bang for your buck if you got some ultra high performance tires, or max summer tires.

I've seen first hand, drivers who take a crappy line, have no suspension mods, but only have some sweet ass tires, be quick, and also witness those with sweet suspension, but crappy tires be obviously held back by their tires.

Although driver vs car vs suspension is something else, but needless to say, tires will make a huge difference.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Carbing FSTB and RSTB I got, I can tell the difference, 10 mile road I've driven on for over 2 years, literally over 400 times, I can tell, but I also know, I would have gotten a bigger difference from a RSB or tires, however I'm just putting my suspension together one piece at a time, and decided to go for the more rare Carbing bars first, since I can get tires anytime, I can get a Maxima bar anytime, and to an extent Tein SS's any time, while Carbing bars have to come from Japan.

But anyway summing it up.

It seems like you're either asking if you should mod the car, and that's up to you, or you're asking what to do, to make it fun for 2 years.

My answer, if you are a driver, mod the car, and smash it accordingly, go suspension for taking turns, or build it for straight line power. If you just enjoy driving, get a WAI and maybe exhaust, cause I'll admit, I get a kick outta my WAI from 3k to redline.

If you just enjoy driving, and aren't into really into auto-x or mountain/canyon stuff, I think you'll be disapointed with how much you spent getting strut bars and what you get from them.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Just go ahead and buy your stuff, when you get the new car you'll be able to sell the parts trust me. I have F&R Stillen bars in my car and will have a sway bar in this weekend. Can wait til the snow goes away and I can get my 17's back on. :thumbsup: D

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
I must admit, the one bar that you will notice a difference with the most will be a rear sway bar. Even after I installed my F&R Strut bars (Stillen & Octotat respectively) and my Tein SS coilovers, it was after I installed the RSB that I really enjoyed the car! lol I think the last suspension mod left that can be done is a Front Sway bar! After that, I can really play with the car..........(gotta wait for the two speeding tickets to expire on my driving record first.................)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yeah, if you get any bar, get a Rear Sway Bar, no way you can't feel the difference, just be careful of oversteer.

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
IONO_Anything said:
Yeah, if you get any bar, get a Rear Sway Bar, no way you can't feel the difference, just be careful of oversteer.
damn nice write-up, Louis. as for the sway bar, you can get the Stillen sway, or a Progress/Addco 95-03 Maxima rear sway bar (eBay).

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
I have the Carbing 3pt FSTB, Octotat RSTB, and Progress Maxima RSB and Holy Bejesus, that combo made a world of difference in my opinion!!! Did a bit of aggressive mountain driving yesterday and the G handles like a dream!!! My friend was like, "Dude, this is just like a video game!!! This shit is soooooooooooooo fun!!!" Now a bunch of my friends want to do up their suspension now. The G is known for handling so build it up and you will see why its known for it...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Personally tho as much as I enjoy the RSB. The progress one makes the car rougher and it seats the car lower, making more harsh in the back once it hits bumps. I tried making it less stiff and the ride in the rear was definitely much better. In anycase, the FSTB and RSTB are nice upgrades that allow the suspension to do the job much more efficient. My ride is nicer and the front is definitely firmer and the car is quieter as well. Overall, the last thing i need is an alignment which is essential for any cars handling.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
P11Gdub said:
damn nice write-up, Louis. as for the sway bar, you can get the Stillen sway, or a Progress/Addco 95-03 Maxima rear sway bar (eBay).
Progress/Addco 95-03 Maxima rear sway bar........I've been talking to the guy I bought it from about setting up a GB. TBD still

IONO_Anything said:
Oversteer? I haven't noticed it myself. However, the rear end does sit more flat on tight on/off-ramps :drool: And I can go faster in them..........correction 'hold a higher speed' I don't condone speeding.......... ( :cheeky: ^^^)

SucKit said:
Personally tho as much as I enjoy the RSB. The progress one makes the car rougher and it seats the car lower, making more harsh in the back once it hits bumps. I tried making it less stiff and the ride in the rear was definitely much better. In any case, the FSTB and RSTB are nice upgrades that allow the suspension to do the job much more efficient. My ride is nicer and the front is definitely firmer and the car is quieter as well. Overall, the last thing i need is an alignment which is essential for any cars handling.
I haven't noticed a rougher ride. But like I said above, improved handling. And yes, I agree you should be able to adjust the effectiveness of the RSB by shifting the side brackets a little further back. (sorry I forgot to take pics when I did my install), I set mine just as they suggested so they are just about 1-1.25" in from the ends of the bar. And you are absolutely right, an alignment after any major suspension upgrade (lowering springs / coilovers) spend the $$ (what $50US max) and get it done! I haven't yet (my bad), but now that' I've done pretty much all I can do to the suspension, I'm getting done next week.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
hmm interesting interesting. im convinced that the front strut bar alone isn't worth it unless i complete it with rear struts and rear sway. it's just hard from a common sense perspective that something like a rear sway bar would have the biggest impact with turning because the steering wheel is in the front and the front tires are the ones responsible for turning the car, and yet a bar in the rear has the most impact. i did bad in my physics class, so thats prob why i dont get it. but i did like IONO's arguement about the sticky tires. i used to run 100m, 200m, and 400m a lot for my track team. racing on shoes with shitty grips translate into shitty times, especially on the bend.

by the way, only because i live in NJ where you have to take 100 turns to go anywhere, cornering and handling has always been my kind of thing.

semi-final decision: get sticky tires and don't buy a front strut bar because i'd have to get the rear sway and rear strut and i need all that money to keep saving up for my new car. i really want coilovers tho...

one question. the complete set of strut/sway bars VS. coilover. if u had to pick one, which?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I [would] say that the Progress RSB makes it more neutral to slight oversteer??? That is how it feels to me. I have a modded generic Maxima FSTB, Oct RSTB, and Progress Maxima RSB.

The reason why the RSB affect the car so much is it is over kill and counters a lot of the stock 61 to 39 balance. Just a neat coincidence with a bit of help from the Nissan part bin.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Considering the situation, I'd almost consider Struts + Springs and the RSB, instead of either the Strut Bars and the RSB vs Full Coilovers only. Like you said, you'd only have the car for two years, might be a good compromise, unless you decide to go all out before the two years are over.

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
slimlou said:
Progress/Addco 95-03 Maxima rear sway bar........I've been talking to the guy I bought it from about setting up a GB. TBD still
ZoliElo directed me to a GB for the Progress rear sway on Maxima.org, after i missed the G20.net GB. contact Brain Catts (http://cattmanperformance.com/) and he should be able to hook you up.

·
G20 OG
6,684 Posts
to be honest out of all everyone is saying it mostly true but overall the best suspension mod anyone can get is tires, period.. hands down fwd rwd awd... if your tires are crap you can have all the bars and coilovers and you will still have no control

1 - 19 of 19 Posts