Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get my oil change at jiffy lube and had em put in the full synthetic oil. I was later talking to my friend that has an 89 m3 and he said that once you use synthetic you cant go back to conventional oil? Is this just for bmws or something or does this apply to all cars? Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't believe that is true. For example, a car I had in college that blew an oil cooler line while I was on a road trip and dumped most of the engine oil before I shut it off. I had been using Synthetic (Mobil 1) since I got it (at 60,000 mi) and now it had about 90k on it. The rinky dink country repair shop where it was towed didn't have any Synthetic oil. It was either plain old SAE 30 quaker state or start walking. I chose the 30. It was a while before I changed the oil again and I went back to MObil 1 and never had any oil related problems.

·
Registered
194 Posts
91maxima said:
I went to get my oil change at jiffy lube and had em put in the full synthetic oil. I was later talking to my friend that has an 89 m3 and he said that once you use synthetic you cant go back to conventional oil? Is this just for bmws or something or does this apply to all cars? Thanks.

He's wrong. That was the school of thought several years ago, but not anymore. There's nothing that will keep you from using dino oil in a car that you've been using Synthetic. You should try to find something you like and stick with it, though. Switching to synthetic in an older engine can cause it to burn some oil because the seals don't seal as well anymore. There are a few other threads here on G20.net that have addressed this issue before.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
yup...

the whole old school/ new school thing...

I switched to synthetic and I prefer how the engine runs on it (and sounds better)..but I'd have no qualms about going back to conventional if I didn't see the need to continue with synthetic!

My dad used Synthetic in his 94 Caravan for a big road trip and then went back to conventional with no issues....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts