Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car makes a funny noise right after I start it, it goes away about 3-5 seconds after it is started. Someone had suggested it may be the starter not kicking out, any thoughts/fixes?? Also, anyone know if 46 dolalrs is reasonable for a power steering high pressure hose, mine leaks horribly... Thanks.

-Eric

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Ummm....:-\
Need a little more info. What does it sound like?:surprised

·
Registered
529 Posts
Does it sound like a rattling noise?
I noticed this rattling noise sometimes when I start the car. It seems to start off kind of loud than gradually dies down. I would say it last 2-3 seconds at most when it does happen. It doesn't happen all the time. I was thinking that it might be caused due to bad motor mounts.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
k0walski said:
My car makes a funny noise right after I start it, it goes away about 3-5 seconds after it is started. Someone had suggested it may be the starter not kicking out, any thoughts/fixes?? Also, anyone know if 46 dolalrs is reasonable for a power steering high pressure hose, mine leaks horribly... Thanks.

-Eric

Probably the infamous starter squeal.

It's not too common on the G, but very common on the SE-R. Is it the original starter?

As for the price for the PS hose, that's cheap. The OEM hose is abotu $150 with a discount.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had a squeel upon starting my car at one point and my mechanic said it was the belts. He replaced and adjusted them and it hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i had starter squeal on my original starter. it eventually went away, and i thought everything was ok...then...dead.

if its the squeal, start saving for a starter

·
Registered
29 Posts
if it is a rattle, then your car might be low on oil. My 91 did that, so I asked my auto teacher. turns out that the timing chain tensioner is operated by oil pressure. so at startup (when there is no oil pressure) it will be loose if you don't have enough oil. then when pressure builds up it tightens the chain, noise is gone.

·
Registered
529 Posts
WaStateG20, I am not low on oil. I checked the level and it is near the full line on the dipstick. Also, the rattle noise does not happen all of the time. I would say that it happens maybe 1-2 times a day when starting the car. It appears to be random as to when the noise happens.
As others have suggested, it may have to deal with the timing chain. I know it is not a squealing sound, so the problem is not with the starter, which I replaced late last year.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Sounds like the infamous timing chain tensioner start-up clatter. So far, no one has found this to be harmful in any way to the engine. For some odd reason, it is a common association with the SR20's.

The timimg chain tensioner has gone through 4 different design changes over the years, and I believe that Nissan has never gotten it right, but the newer ones are much better than the original. I know that the initial change was a beefier unit with larger oil passage opening to allow more oil to flow through, but as for the other two changes, I have no idea.

I listed all four part #'s and years of manufacturing on the SR20DEforum. Go here: http://www.sr20deforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20992&highlight=tensioner+part

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
It's more of an annoyance than anything. As NismoPC said, no reports so far of any type of engine damage, so it's not like you need to "drop what you're doing" and get it fixed ASAP. I get it all the time and I'll probably take care of that when I finally get around to installing the '91 intake cam, UR pulleys, HS header, custom CAI and variable capacity muffler, which might not even be till January-February next year(or later, depending on finances :-\ ).
;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thank you all for the quick responses. I really appreciate the help. I am not sure when I will get this fixed, but it sure sounds like I should be okay for quite some time. At present, I only drive my car 5000 miles a year. So, I think I can hold off for a little bit.

Thanks again. :cool:

·
uruG 02G
7,417 Posts
The rattle is indeed the Timing Chain Tensioner. My friend is a tech at Infiniti of Denver, he said there isn't a G20 on the road that doesn't do that when you start the car....

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
G-ealousy said:
The rattle is indeed the Timing Chain Tensioner. My friend is a tech at Infiniti of Denver, he said there isn't a G20 on the road that doesn't do that when you start the car....
That may be...I have 68k miles on mine and i've noticed the same noise for some time. Almost sounds like no oil in the engine for the first second or two. Listen to my Toyota truck, jeez, sounds like a diesel for the first two seconds. Timing chain noise. Now my Honda has the timing belt, no noise.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts