Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the other posts on fuses, but I can't find the exact answer I need.

In February, a fuse blew in my car, causing the dash lights and tail lights to go out. I'm a car novice so I took it to the dealer, who changed the fuse. I figured it was a fluke and forgot about it.

This Saturday, the fuse blew again. After reading this forum, I assumed it was the 75A fuse. I know I should not have assumed this, but the dealer went out of business two weeks ago, so I couldn't call to ask them which fuse they replaced. I bought and installed the 75A fuse. This did not work. It turned out to be the "tail lamp" fuse inside the car, under the dash.

Last night, I replace the fuse above and it worked. I started driving, with the music on and about 10 minutes later, the fuse blew again.

I have a 1994 G20. My independent mechanic said I need to bring it to the dealer to be fixed because he thinks I have a short that could be anywhere in the car. The dealer near my house closed. The nearest dealer to me is now about 20 miles away.

I am loathe to take it to the dealer, especially since the fix will most likely cost as much as the car is worth.

I love my car and would rather not part with it. I have had it for its entire life.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find the short? I know very little about cars. (It was a big deal for me to even figure out which fuse was causing the problem.)

I have an aftermarket Sony stereo. It was installed about 7 years ago. The place that did the installation disconnected the stock amps because they were causing a hissing noise. I'm not sure why the radio would cause a problem after 7 years. Could my stereo be going bad?

Lastly, if I have to get rid of my car, would you recommend that I part it out or sell it whole? It's in decent condition, but after 15 years, it has a bunch of dings, dents, and scratches. What do you think a fair price would be?

Thank you,

Jenny

·
brave little...
2,648 Posts
im sure that you could make some money parting it out, but its sad to see another g off the road.

what you could do is just see if the the sony stereo is grounding out. disconnect the stereo and drive a day or two without it hooked up, turning it off is not the same, remove it.

that will tell you if its the stereo or not, i doubt it but you never know. its common for a car that old to have some wires worn down and touching metal somewhere, and if the cd player is malfunctioning it could be spreading the short to the rest of the car rather then turning off like it should.

if its not the stereo, idk what to tell you, i have a short with my reverse lights and im also in the same boat trying to figure out where its coming from. hope someboyd else chimes in to help out

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will also try removing the stereo. I wouldn't mind getting a new fancy radio, if that's what's causing the problem.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Hopefully you won't get rid of the car...

Is it the same fuse that keeps blowing, the "tail lamp" fuse? If so, check all wiring for the tail lamps, also check to see if there are any fraying wires that could be touching something causing a short.

Also, you said you made it 10 minutes before it blew again? Do you remember if you did something in particular (turned on wipers, taillights, or somethign like that?). If you can narrow down what is causing the issue, it will help a lot

I don't a P10 FSM, but someone here does. They should be able to look up what's connected to that fuse?

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
my guess is that it has to do with your turn signals. like merlin said it would help to know if when you turned on something that it would blow that fuse.

whatever you do ONLY USE THE CORRECT FUSE no exceptions..........your fuse is blowing and thats a good thing....thats why its there. if you use a different fuse it could turn a small problem of a wire touching metal into a HUGE problem of melted wires.

get a pack of fuses that your blowing (10A 15A IDK) and trouble shoot the problem a little .......get it working then try to turn on a turn signal and see if it blows again.....if it does you have a short by one of the blinking lights when you turn on the signal....

hope you find it.....wouldnt want to see a good car go because a minor problem.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Did you check the wire harness by the trunk hinge? This is very common to be sliced on our cars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much for all you're suggestions. I will play around with it tonight.

I did use my windshield wipers this morning (and turn signal of course). After work, I will buy a pack of fuses and play around and check wiring.

I do love my car and would hate to get rid of it over something like this.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You might also want to check that the main ground wire off the engine - on the P11's it's right by the battery - hasn't gotten so corroded by years of battery acid that it looks ok, but isn't. You may have to take the battery out to really get at it to check. Follow the wire from the chassis to the engine and give a pull - if it's frayed or isn't connected; that would be my guess for a big fuse like a 75. Also check around the alternator and make sure the wires still have all their casing on and the wires from it aren't rubbing on the engine or the chassis right there. I can't say I think a bulb wire could cause a 75 to blow. A radio (or probably more likely the amp) might - but it seems unlikely since you've had the radio so much longer than the problem. I might climb in the trunk and look up under the rear of the interior to make sure the wires are all ok up in there and not rubbing some weird way by years of opening and closing the trunk and shoving stuff in there so they get pulled around. You can buy new shrink wrap for wiring at Radio Shack - it will shrink right on with a hair dryer. All you have to do is pop the wires off the alternator, or unscrew the ground wire. I could be wrong of course... You don't have any weird smells or anything? Like something dead? Like maybe there was a rat gnawing away inside your dash? I've seen it happen, don't laugh.

·
Registered
25 Posts
check your illumination wire for your stereo. i've seen 2 cars with this problem and aftermarket stereos and that wire was bouncing around and would randomly go out.

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
I feel bad for ya. but any one with comon electrical knowlage and the tail lamp cuircit diagram could help you.

it is a shame that you machanic said you need to go to a dealer. that just says hey i dont know crap unles i can replace something.

wish i could help but I guess inspect behind the sterio and at the stalk switch and in the trunk and so on

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
definitely check all the taillights and the bulb holders. i had this problem in one of my p10s from a partially melted socket/bulb.

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
yes i have seen this stang on loose grounds at the socket and meltign a soket. not yet on any p10s but loads of nissans useing the same exact type of wireing. So good info on your part for inspection

·
Registered
763 Posts
Normally on the P11 I would say check the wiring to the spoiler. But It most likely isn't the same on the p10.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts