Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a conversation with my brother about cars and NJ. The fact that I live in NJ really plays into my decision making when it comes to modifying my '02 G20 sport. Right now everything in it is pure stock parts. I've been pondering on what mods to do while taking into consideration that I'm selling it to buy a new car in a year or two.

point #1) NJ is famous for rough and bumpy roads.
point #2) NJ is famous for its harsh weather conditions- too snowy in winter, too rainy in summer, and in between stuff for fall/spring.
point #3) massive amount of highways and massive amount of turns/corners
point #4) most condensed population of all states in the country (aka most accidents and automobiles)
bottom line) NJ conditions are harsh for cars.

THEREFORE..

1) is it really realistic to get that ksport coilover kit? chances are it will get worn out pretty quick or get beat up alot and requires constant maintenance and repair. it might be too stiff for nj roads, although ive heard many cases of people vouching for it even in NYC. who knows.
2) i dont have the money to get two sets of wheels/tires, one for winter and one for summer. i REALLY want sticky summer tires, but i prob should get all weather performance tires. if i lived in any other state, id get the sticky tires.
3) too many turns and corners in NJ. i love tight cornering. i love hugging the line. strut/sway bars may be the answer.

·
on to the next one..
4,115 Posts
get tein s tech springs. and mep top mounts. keep your stock shocks, cut your stock bump stops and get aftermarket dust boots. + strut bars and a sway bar

get some nice 17s with appropriate tires.

thats what i would do

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i also live in NJ, and i hear what your sayin. thats mainly why iv stuck with
the stock rims. i painted em black with the silver lip and i couldnt be happier.
im also rollin of some eibach springs with koni special red shocks and a RSTB.
IMO i dont see the point in investing in coil-overs for a daily driver anyway.

i have Tein S-Techs for sale if you want em...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the problem is i have 2002 g20 sport package which comes with the 16 inch alloy wheels. i love its clean looks and they are light as hell, but the problem is they are as strong as a jelly pudding. everytime i buy a new one, they bend the week after. right now my steering wheel is shaking from bent wheels. im going to either buy two new replacements just for the front so i can rid the shaking or just start over and buy 4 new tires/wheels.

meanwhile, my only desire is to improve its cornering. i always thought it was good enough, but then my family have a bmw 330ci. i got used to driving it and it makes me think my g20 is broken. the bmw steering wheel is stiff like a mother. i wonder if new grippy wheels can fix that. if not, maybe the springs and strut/sway bars.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
by the way, speaking of NJ, anyone notice the NJ cops all of sudden think they're some kind of special op force? they are hiding like gung-ho's in vietnam's with lights off in places where ive never seen them hide for years. they are popping up in hidden local streets that you've never expected them to show up. anyone ever hit up the palisades parkway? ive memorized all the hiding spots that they've been using for more than 4 years, but now they are finding new ones.

and all this in less than a year span.

·
Registered
404 Posts
lol i definitely noticed that. I've been riding the turnpike every weekday for a while now and recently (like within the past month) i've definitely noticed an increase in them hiding and being more sneaky. i was wondering if it was just me thinking that.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
hey mvppalisades...where in Jersey are you?
im guessing near the palisades from your user name,
but where at exactly? i was down there 3-4 times a
week at CNBC this past summer for an internship.

mvppalisades said:
by the way, speaking of NJ, anyone notice the NJ cops all of sudden think they're some kind of special op force? they are hiding like gung-ho's in vietnam's with lights off in places where ive never seen them hide for years. they are popping up in hidden local streets that you've never expected them to show up. anyone ever hit up the palisades parkway? ive memorized all the hiding spots that they've been using for more than 4 years, but now they are finding new ones.

and all this in less than a year span.
yea iv noticed this as well. but at the same time they seem to be keeping their
radars on a lot more. in the past they seemed to stay out in the open and
either keep their radars off, or in point and shoot mode (pop mode). now while
their hiding they seem to keep their guns active.

the more iv noticed them hiding here and there, the more
iv noticed how many more radar alerts that result in actual
sightings that iv been getting. My Cobra picks up pop alerts
(when guns are in point and shoot/stand-by), and iv rarely
passed a cop lately without my detector goin off.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i live in fort lee which is the town right off george washington bridge. my highrise condo is called the Palisades. i used to go to high school in Old Tappan, so all my friends are there. a lot of my college friends are near that area as well, so i go on palisades parkway almost daily. hence, "palisades" in mvppalisades. plus, its the best parkway/highway in the state because there's never jammed traffic and the cops are predictable (or at least they used to be). i had to learn the hard way.

cobra is nice, but you really should invest in V1 (valentine 1). that shit was NICE. my friend totaled his car, so he let me use his v1 for a few months. that thing was just off the hooks- it has arrows to point where the cop was, it shows how strong the signal is, and it shows how many cop cars are nearby. the only drawback is that its so powerful that its known for false alarms. but ill take false alarms over missed alarms anyday. secondly, once you get to know the radar and its false alarms, u can remember its tendency and know immediately if its false alarm or not. its a $400+ radar for a reason. i will prob buy my own soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts