Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently trying to decide whether or not a JDM SR20DE-T engine can be swapped into a '98-'99 G20 without having to be a milloinare. A lot of people in the import community like to respond with "Anything can be done if you have enough money." But I am looking for a pretty straight forward swap and that's exactly why I thought replacing the SR20DE in the US model with a SR20DE-T wouldn't be so crazy. I would want to get a very low milage engine. I have checked out infinite motorsports and would consider buying a clip (front end) off of them. In most pictures of the available DE-T's on there website, the engine sits differently in the engine bay, not side to side like the G20. Is this because the DE-T's that I am looking at are coming out of rear wheel drive cars like the silvia?
I have checked other sources on the web for info on this swap without much luck. I would really appreciate some of your opinions, and I am aware of a SCC issue that feature's a DE-T swap into a G. I will be calling their back issue dept, but isn't this guy a member of G20.net? HELP DUDE!!! YOU FEEL ME!!! If it's something worth doing, i'll eventually do it. I'm not a mechanic and will be looking for a professional shop to perform this for me. I live in Tampa, FL. Feel free to e-mail me at :[email protected]

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Those DET's you've seen are RWD and not the type you need.

The swap can most definately be done. You have a 99 G20?

Basically what you need is an AWD DET. The tranny will be removed and your FWD tranny will bolt up to it. You will need to have intercooler piping made somewhere and also purchase a front mount intercooler.

You will also need an ecu swap. If you have a 99 you will need an ECU from a 95-97 200sx/SE-R which JWT will reprogram for a DET. You will have to make a few modifications to your wiring harness but not many.

Since you live in Florida, the best bet for acquiring a DET would be Andreas Miko 305-282-3643. He can even do the install for you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank ya

This is your site? Amazing!! I hit the jackpot right here dude. Thanks boogie.

No, I have not purchase a G20 yet. I want to if I can get 350-400HP into the engine bay semi-affordably and also have the daily-driver reliability. If this is all possible, I will purchase the car in six months or so and figure out how to purchase the parts. You gave me a great solution by giving me an importer and shop that will do the swap, now can you give me an idea of how much someone would spend on this swap. This will be my next step- calculating the cost of a build up.
Can I finance the build up too?? lol

b-b00gie said:
Those DET's you've seen are RWD and not the type you need.

The swap can most definately be done. You have a 99 G20?

Basically what you need is an AWD DET. The tranny will be removed and your FWD tranny will bolt up to it. You will need to have intercooler piping made somewhere and also purchase a front mount intercooler.

You will also need an ecu swap. If you have a 99 you will need an ECU from a 95-97 200sx/SE-R which JWT will reprogram for a DET. You will have to make a few modifications to your wiring harness but not many.

Since you live in Florida, the best bet for acquiring a DET would be Andreas Miko 305-282-3643. He can even do the install for you.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
B-oogie is right Andreas is the man to call. He has helped me out on many occasions. He has a DET right now saw it myself. But as far as financing .... not to sure about that ...

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
350-400hp? That sounds like my goal.

For around $3500 to $4000 you can expect 200whp which is plenty improvement over 125whp stock.

You can probably do 400whp for $5,000 or $6,000 but you would most likely be skimping out on things and blow the motor very quickly.

I've budgeted $10,000 for my turbo.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I want to if I can get 350-400HP into the engine bay semi-affordably
I don't think the DETs are THAT buff. If I'm not mistaken, they'll push somewhere around 200~215 to the wheels, but 350~400? Maybe with intake/exhaust/fuel injectors/larger turbo/super intercooler/ECU/etc but at that point, I don't think it's semi-affordable anymore.

Sidenote: supposedly McKinney Autosports *based near SR20DEvelopment and JWT* made an SR20DET with 750HP! They dropped it into a Datsun 510. I haven't even seen anything like that in Japanese mags...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To fine-tune my original statement-
I do want to do the swap affordably, I mean I don't want to get !$%!ed, you know.
I hope to put a reliable DE-T in 98-99 G20 as kind of my 2nd step, I consider purchasing the G step one. Step two the swap, step three- the build up. You know I can take my time with the build-up. At first it'll be like I bought the G20 with a DE-T right off the lot. Any suggestions??

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
There's no 97 or 98 G20 btw, only 91-96 and 99-02 ;)

Suggestion: skip the DET and turbo your DE.

The DET is just an added cost. To get to that HP level you will have to strip the DET and buy the same turbo pieces that you would if you are just putting a high powered turbo on a DE.

I think you should call Andreas. ;)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
FF Drifter said:
I don't think the DETs are THAT buff. If I'm not mistaken, they'll push somewhere around 200~215 to the wheels, but 350~400? Maybe with intake/exhaust/fuel injectors/larger turbo/super intercooler/ECU/etc but at that point, I don't think it's semi-affordable anymore.

Sidenote: supposedly McKinney Autosports *based near SR20DEvelopment and JWT* made an SR20DET with 750HP! They dropped it into a Datsun 510. I haven't even seen anything like that in Japanese mags...
Don't forget Shaggy's 500 whp B14 that is a daily driver.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Making Progress... Still Developing the master plan

I've spoke with Andreas.

We chopped up some idea's. I am considering a custom turbo set-up that he will build according to how much HP I want, and how much I want to spend. I believe that Andreas and you guys talked me out of the bluebird engine. As of right now, it doesn't seem to be necessary. Andreas said that to throw a DE-T in the car now, and then change out turbo's and stuff later wouldn't be the same as adding the larger turbo and parts to the standard DE block already in the car. And wouldn't be as cost efficient for me either. I would love to see some pictures of Andreas's work, and speak with some of you who have dealt with Andreas before. How long can I expect a build-up to last? Can I still put 100,000 miles on a turbocharged G20 If I don't jack the boost up and rev to 10 grand every chance I get. How long have these SE-R's lasted that andreas built in the past?

Everyday I learn more and more. Just enough to realize I know nothing. But the stock HP must go.

FYI: I was talking with Andreas about building a G20 that will smoke a 2002 LS1 Vette. My father just bought one and thinks he's the s!%#. And he is for right now. My 200SX is like a wind up toy compared to the vette.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Re: Making Progress... Still Developing the master plan

Blueboost said:
FYI: I was talking with Andreas about building a G20 that will smoke a 2002 LS1 Vette. My father just bought one and thinks he's the s!%#. And he is for right now. My 200SX is like a wind up toy compared to the vette.
Well it is possible. The only problem is that a g20 with beating LS1 power will be very hard to launch correctly with out getting massive amount of wheel spin. :(

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Re: Making Progress... Still Developing the master plan

Blueboost said:
Andreas said that to throw a DE-T in the car now, and then change out turbo's and stuff later....
Let's correct something here.

An SR20DET is a factory turbocharged engine.

Typical convention in the SR20 community would identify a turbocharged SR20DE as a SR20DE-T or SR20DE(T).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Re: Making Progress... Still Developing the master plan

G-Forces said:

hard to launch correctly with out getting massive amount of wheel spin. :(

All too true GForces. You definately can't beat the Vette off the line w/out slicks and so on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know what the difference is between the SR20DE and the SR20DET. I don't know what I'm saying to make you think I don't know the difference.

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Blueboost said:
I know what the difference is between the SR20DE and the SR20DET. I don't know what I'm saying to make you think I don't know the difference.

What George means is that you have said things like "JDM SR20DE-T" and "DE-T" rather loosely.

A "DET" is an SR20DET JDM engine which has a factory turbo.

A "DE-T" or "DE(T)" is what people refer to a DE which has a turbocharger added to it.

He was just trying to clear that up... ;)

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
b-b00gie said:

What George means is that you have said things like "JDM SR20DE-T" and "DE-T" rather loosely.

A "DET" is an SR20DET JDM engine which has a factory turbo.

A "DE-T" or "DE(T)" is what people refer to a DE which has a turbocharger added to it.

He was just trying to clear that up... ;)
I'm wondering if using DE+t/T wouldn't make thing even more clear. We could use a little tee for things like T25 and T28 turbo and a bit tee for things like the GT3035 and the T3/04E. Sounds cool? :lol:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, I see.

So by saying DE-T, I'm saying I turbocharged a DE.

But DET is the official way of talking about the SR20DET.
It's SR20DET, not SR20DE-T (I get it now)

I knew you guys were trying to tell me that all along. Sorry about the confusion. That's why I'm here, ya know.

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Blueboost said:
I knew you guys were trying to tell me that all along. Sorry about the confusion. That's why I'm here, ya know.

No problem at all. =)

The only reason it was brought up (I believe) is because even though we knew what you meant, people who read this in the future may get confused.

Hence the reason in trying to make things clear. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, I'm glad we cleared that up. Sorry Geo I didn't know.

b-boogie, your going to spend 10 G's on a turbo setup alone? WHat kind of WHP will that produce?

What kind of traction are you going to have? I imagine major wheelspin on a high volume, high output setup like that. What will you do to correct that. I have also been thinking about wheel sizes for the G20 . It seems that the wheel wells are large enough to accommodate 19 inch wheels. Is this so? That would be pretty amazing looking eh? Would large wheels like that be a good or bad thing for performance purposes, say for your 10G beast? How low are you guys dropping your G20's and on what size rims? Anything to watch out for? The G20 suspension geometry is supposedly phenomenal!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts