Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 96 G20 for Christmas for my daughter. If you press too hard on the accelorator while still in 1st (automatic tranny) it will jump and jump and jump until you let off and just barely give it gas. Once it gets into 2nd, everything is dandy. Any ideas of the problem? I would like to have it repaired before Santa comes.
Sharlee

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
not that it should necesarilly make u feel 100% better but ive been told most 91-96 g20's do that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
How are your weather conditions and your tires. I think you may be slipping your tires which jump when they regain and loose traction. If this is on dry pavement then you either have bad tires or a great engine with lots of power. If this is on wet roads they you have great tires.
________
Vapor Genie

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Mine kinda does something similar, but if i'm on the throttle and quickly jump off the gas, it skips second and goes to third, or does it similar from 2nd to 4th...havent been able to figure it out...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, just a quick clarification, I'm a mom. Second, I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply to this. OUr weather is typical winter weather in Oregon. Sometimes rainy, sometimes sunny. Doesn't seem to matter. The tires are only two years old and have quite a bit of tread on them. They are from Les Schwab. Hubby will do a big tune up on it today and implement some of your suggestions. Believe it or not, it does make me feel better that most of the cars do this. It tells me it is at least probably not a need for a new tranny. Ugh, that would bite. If anyone gets any further epiphanies, send them along!
Sharlee

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hello, I might help you shine some light on this, make sure that you have enough tranny fluid in the transmission, check it with the car on level ground and with the car on take out the orange dipstick and check the level. Also you might want to make sure all your motor mounts are in good shape, this might cause the engine to rock back and forth making it seem like the car is engaging the gear too hard. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
gomd3 said:
Hello, I might help you shine some light on this, make sure that you have enough tranny fluid in the transmission, check it with the car on level ground and with the car on take out the orange dipstick and check the level. Also you might want to make sure all your motor mounts are in good shape, this might cause the engine to rock back and forth making it seem like the car is engaging the gear too hard. Good luck.
These are most likely your problem areas. You should also have the transmission fluid changed or flushed. There is no need to change the filter.

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
I agree with the mounts. Also CHANGE the tranny fluid, there should be no reason to flush it. And do not remove the filter in there. You can clean it off but don't remove it. It will cause a nut to fall into the tranny and you will never get it out.

The most likely scenario is one of the following...

The resistor located on the driver side near the airbox.
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45223&highlight=transmission+resistor
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9654&highlight=transmission+resistor

or the other option is that you need to get a 1-2 shift kit which all the p10 autos need...most of us just live with it though...

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34280
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35172

The second option would require a professional install/rebuild.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much to all of you for taking your time to reply. You have been incredibly helpful and I will notify you of how it turns out.

·
Safe Sex
3,228 Posts
if you plan on buying new mounts which they more than likely are you may want to contact justin from everythingg20.com for the parts, he been a gret forum member as well as seller you can find him under justinp10
rush

·
Registered
9 Posts
ive been having the same problem with my 96 g20 it started monday...tell me how everything went once you did what u did im taking mine in on monday

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Transmission problem would normally not trigger the check engine light.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
aopen resister will triger a light. lso a bad or out of rnge tps will cuase simular issuess with a auto tran car. I think it is wise to inspect the things advised but it is even wiser to se what the code or codes are for.
if you would like to pm me with detailed info and codes i will help you out the best i can. i am a tech for nissan and also fix qx4's all the time.
it is detail that makes it hard or me.
open resister should give you max lin pres. and should not cuase a jumpyness.
i would love to help you in a time base but you on the pc can only tell me so much as seeing the vehicle and checking it re 2 very different things

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We don't have any codes because there is no check engine light and my hubby says they need the light to hook it up to a diagnostic machine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts