Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 95 G20 with 121,000 miles on it.
I have always maintained the vehicle and changed out a lot of parts including the radiator and ac.
Yet recently, there has been a drastic power loss and there is more jerking when the transmission shifts.
It seems when the power is available it causes the shifting to some times squeal the tires.
I am at a loss in troubleshooting, seems to have plenty of intake especially when I installed a Jim Wolf cai to help the power issue.
The transmission seems fine and there were seals, etc replaced a while back.
The mass air sensor seems ok as well, herd the engine will run real bad when it goes out.
I also changed out everything tune up wise except for the spark plugs which had looked ok and the engine idles fines.
I still have the same power loss, especially noticeable during take off almost like the transmission was in a safety mode.
There are no engine lights or any lights on either.
Anyone one have a similar problem?

I am thinking there is some modular out some place, just do not know which one or what modular controls what component.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Justin
:throwup:

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
How are the motor mounts? Are they in good condition or is the rubber all ripped up?

Second, i would check the auto transmission resistor...its a small gray piece on the inside of the driver's side fender (very close to the airbox and battery). that goes from time to time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jasezero said:
How are the motor mounts? Are they in good condition or is the rubber all ripped up?

Second, i would check the auto transmission resistor...its a small gray piece on the inside of the driver's side fender (very close to the airbox and battery). that goes from time to time.
Hello, motor mounts changed a while back, I will check them.
What job does the auto transmission resistor do?

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
it helps to smooth out the shifting points in the transmission in automatic cars.... when it gets wet it sometimes doesn't work too well

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
davemac said:
2nd gear solenoid problem? So did Infiniti pull and to some extent rebuild your trannys control valves?

Hello all,
here is an update.

I changed the shift resistor out and spark plugs pulled and cleaned the mass air sensor, still has power loss most noticeable on take off. It is not in safety mode, I remember that one when my alternator went out. There might be an engine mount and or trany mount broke again, I had then changed out about three years ago. Since I cannot see anything wrong, I am going to have to take it into the shop again to see if any mounts are broke.
I am now thinking that this power loss might be the exhaust, I will wait for the next emissions test. I am also going to reset the ecu as described in the previous posts.
I am still at a loss not much left to change out. I also think I will get a compression test done to see if it is in deed the engine. Trany fluid looks new and I will have to research if infinity changed out the solenoid.
Justin

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yeah, I'm not too surprised that the shift resistor didn't help. I think your problem is in the engine not the transmission. If your engine is running poorly the tranny would also shift poorly. Hopefully the shop can figure it out.

Good luck and thanks for the update. Would love to learn of the fix.
My post above to Ak1m0to - though we are getting way off subject - I wondered if he had to replace or repair his auto tranny valve body. There is a spring inside the valve body that controls 1-2 shift and is prone to break causing really harsh shifts. Power loss is not related.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
davemac said:
Yeah, I'm not too surprised that the shift resistor didn't help. I think your problem is in the engine not the transmission. If your engine is running poorly the tranny would also shift poorly. Hopefully the shop can figure it out.

Good luck and thanks for the update. Would love to learn of the fix.
My post above to Ak1m0to - though we are getting way off subject - I wondered if he had to replace or repair his auto tranny valve body. There is a spring inside the valve body that controls 1-2 shift and is prone to break causing really harsh shifts. Power loss is not related.

Since my car was under warranty, they switched the silinoid and replaced a 02 sensor.
Not really sure about the about the spring inside.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Jevans, as i was reading this post with lack of power it was thinking cat. And then you mentioned you thought the lack of power might be in the exhaust, GOOD THINKING!! Plugged cats will definately cause a lack of power. I mean we had a car in our shop that wouldn't even start because the cat was plugged solid. So remove the cat, hold it up to the sun and if can't see through it or it looks like there's molten lava in there replace it. Thing is though a cat would likely set a code, but on our car there was no code

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.