Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
ʎןןnɟ˙˙ǝdo&#6
2,773 Posts
controversy is going to erupt onto this thread. if they were both the same price, i'd go audi a4 but for since g's arent as expensive, i'd go g20. if it were g35 vs a4 it'd be a better comparison. if it were g35 vs a4, i'd go g35 just because they have a lower price tag, have ass behind them, and look very nice. damn you and your controversial thread. damn you!!:evil:

·
Registered
22 Posts
i am looking into getin a car.. and i a couple months ago, i saw the g20 and fell in love with it immediately. also, in the last week or 2, i hav been looking for like 1998 audi's.. since i need to find a car for 15,000 or less.. i have stumbled upon a few a4's.. but i am still a g20 lover.. i still am undecided on what to get.. but if it were to be a comparison of the 2002 g20 and the 2002 a4.. i would go a4.. i like the new back and new styling.., but then again, i like the g20 as a whole.. mmm:nervous:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
webmaster said:
Which one would you pick....with this being a G20 forum, I know bias will come into play...oh wellz..
Well.......

If you want to pick a car for performance, it's probably a dead heat. There is a well known former turbo SE-R owner (founder of SE-R.net) who suddenly sold his SE-R and bought an A4 Quattro, quickly claiming his A4 would beat an SE-R in any contest of speed. At the first track event he went to with it, the SE-Rs ate his lunch. Someone in a stock classic SE-R with bad dampers beat him by 8 seconds per lap!.

Now, the G20 isn't as quick as the SE-R because of weight, but I'd guess that the G20 would be well matched with an A4.

And, after stripping my 944 to build a race car, you can keep the bullshit German engineering. My SE-R and G20 are put together 10x better (the damned interior is put together with glue and tape - seriously).

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
all audis are like the rest of german motors overpriced and over rated,apart from the earley coupe quattro short wheelbase model with the kevlar panels.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Well not to boast... but i pretty much smoked my buddys 2001.5 chipped audi A4, but really it was just because i am a better driver. :lol:

For real though... After driving both his car and mine (and him driving his car and mine) we both agreed.... The G20 has better acceleration off the line. The G20 revs up faster and gets out in front in all gears up to 3,500rpm. After that the Audi takes over. I noticed much better pickup in my car, but once the turbo kicked in in the A4, watch out! If his car wasnt chipped, i think it would be a pretty good race.

As far as handling goes, the G20 hands down. Both of us agreed that my car was much tighter in the corners and had a much more solid feel.

Here is my input:

Autocrossing: G20, no prob
Drag race: A4 by a car length or two

Whatever your cup of tea... I think they are both great looking cars, and they perform quite differently

·
Registered
17 Posts
Freaktroll is very right......The A4 1.8 has a definite power to weight advantage over the G. Its's about a hundred pounds lighter and has a 5-10 hp advantage (depending on which year sr20de you are comparing).........however, the A4 seems very sluggish and unwilling to rev and the 1.8T engine is notorious for its turbo lag. I say, dead heat in a drag race, maybe audi by a car length, if that much.
The G has a much more fluent chassis and would kick the crap out of the Audi through the twisty's, A4's can be fairly unpredictable when being tracked, however with a G, all you have to do is get on the throttle and the nose tucks in nicely and you take a tighter turn.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I was originally going to buy a A4 but my local Audi dealership was full of dumb ass dealers who didnt know shit about how to sell cars and give a good deal. They wanted 29k for a used 99 Audi A4 1.8T. It was fully loaded and with low miles but you could buy a new one at that price. In the end I got so mad that I just bought a new G20...

BTW Last time I was at sears point a VW dealer with just an APR chip on his 2001 Jetta was hitting 14.9 consistanly. The Audi is of course heavyer but it would hit low 15s with a good driver.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Stock for stock A4 no question any motor they have kills us not to mention w or w/o quattttttro. We lose sorry

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
GTA_G20 said:
Stock for stock A4 no question any motor they have kills us not to mention w or w/o quattttttro. We lose sorry
I don't think so. They are pigs.

I think stock for stock a P10 would hand any A4 its lunch. The only reason a P11 might not is it's heavier.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Bang for buck would have to go to the G20.

Personally I don't like the A4. The new design is really ass. They took a decent looking car and made it look boring. Just looks like a mini A6, but they didn't pull off the good looks of the A6. If you're looking for something in this price range have a boo at the Altima 3.5. :cheeky:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I can't say much about the performance aspect of either cars(I never cared much about which car could beat the other:rolleyes: )but I can say that Consumer Reports ranked the G20 higher in reliability than most cars. I don't have the info in front of me right now, but I bet that you'll find a lot of info on the web to verify the reliability and durability of the G20. (Not to mention the low cost of ownership compared to the European compacts.;) )

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hey if you want to spend bucks on 4 door saloon,sod the A4 go to Japan and buy a second hand primera VTEC 190bhp then you wont need the A4 1.8T,and so what if the primera will be right hand drive, it will run rings round the A4 and then some.Also i'm not sure that you guy's state side are aware of the 4WD P10 primera that were built in Sunderland in the UK,most of these were sold in in Japan and a few in the UK,they basically run sunny Gtir running gear minus the turbo.

·
Registered
64 Posts
GT UK said:
Also i'm not sure that you guy's state side are aware of the 4WD P10 primera that were built in Sunderland in the UK,most of these were sold in in Japan and a few in the UK,they basically run sunny Gtir running gear minus the turbo.
I have the Japanese assembled AWD P10. It definitely does not have the GTI-R running gear.

Any info you could point me too regarding the Sunderland assembled AWD P10 would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
G-Forces said:
Bang for buck would have to go to the G20.

Personally I don't like the A4. The new design is really ass. They took a decent looking car and made it look boring. Just looks like a mini A6, but they didn't pull off the good looks of the A6. If you're looking for something in this price range have a boo at the Altima 3.5. :cheeky:

OH OH OH!!!

Great point Jason.

The Altima 3.5 would eat the A4 for lunch any day of the week.

I want one of those. But I have to get a Durango because my wife wants the room and I need something to tow my race car.
:-\

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I raced what seemed to be a worked audi A4 turbo with my 99 G(just a CAI and muffler @ the time) and I was able to keep up with it. Not pass it though but it definetly had some things done to it. The driver also appeared to be about 300lbs. I weigh less than half that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since I've owned my G20 ( 3 months to date) I can honestly say that the fast reving SR20DE would take an A4 because of its turbo lag. On the other hand a 2.8 A4 would take the win in my opinion.

·
Registered
73 Posts
? what you guys talking about???

I racet my big brother today in his 99 audi 1.8T (NO CHIP) 1/4...I did loose...but whit about one (1)m. So i dont now about the G but my GT eat his as to 62mp/h. No problem! And when i get my HEADER i guess i will smoke his AUDI like a ciggarette 1/4!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Can't say I post much, but...

The A4 is a gorgeous car, and has some wonderful engineering behind it. About the only thing I can say bad about the car is that it has been almost over-engineered, and therefore weighs a bit more than it could. However, AWD makes up for the extra weight with extra control, and the interior of an Audi is beauty to behold. I have a '96 G20t, and its -very- nice (esp the racey seats) but it really can't hold nearly that well against my fathers A6 Avant. Also, I think the looks are very nice, because just about whenever I see an Audi I have to say that its easily the most gorgeous car on the road. Hell, check the recent C&D where they road tested 11 sports sedans, and they rated the Audi as the most gorgeous car of the bunch, against just about any other manufacturer you can think of. Not sure if that was an A4 or an A6, but even so I think the styling lines hold over well.

As for racing...

First I'd suggest checking the stats on the cars.
A4 is rated 0 to 60 at 8.5 seconds. 16.3 second for the good ole 1/4 mi. time. Compare this to the G20: (2000 G20t model specs, only I found) 0 to 60 in 9.3, and the quarter in 17.1.

Unless the driver is a moron, he'll smack you around right off the bat. Throw the 3 litre V-6 in the Audi, and he'll drop you even faster.

Now, for more tracky races it gets a bit trickier. It's really hard to tell normally who would win, because like someone said on another chain here, people who are commonly at one track can beat Porsche 911's with their G20's, given that the Porsche 911 driver has never driven the course before. The G is a nice car, but the driver has FAR more to do with how well someone does than anything else. None-the-less, you can always check things like lateral acceleration, and slalom speeds.

The A4 comes in with .82 g's on the skidpad, and a slalom speed of 62.3 mph. The G? Close with .81 g's on the skidpad, and 60.9 mph in the slalom.

This one isn't nearly as cut and dry as above. I think if both people were of equal skill, the A4 with its much stiffer body and all wheel drive would be able to pull ahead, but it would be very easy for a better G driver to beat him though skill.

Of course, I think it's important to note (before all of you flame me) that the A4 costs a LOT more money, and therefore you'll get better things for it. Getting what you pay for: Check.

Finally, as for the engineering: I don't see any five valve / cylinder cars anywhere but Audi/VW. It doesn't take an idiot to look at the power curves on these engines and see why 5 valve technology is super powerful, and an incredible show of engineering skill.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
FWIW:
When you factor in the the reliablility and maintenence costs as well, the G20 comes out on top even more.;)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts