Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just have to get something off my chest.

Anybody take their car to the track?
What kind of 1/4 mile times are being run by modified G's?
Is it worth modifying them?

Modifiying cars is a fun hobby, but pointless when you get spanked by 328's (eh Oasis?). Unless you get an SR20DET or a 300hp Supertouring motor, this will happen! Besides, they will always be front wheel drive. I bought my car for comfort, looks, and reliability. Not speed, or even potential for speed. Stillen kits, crazy paint, and loud exhaust turns the G from class to rice (unless it is at least a 14 second car). Sorry guys.... just my opinion. If you want speed get a different car.

Perhaps I just need some positive feedback or a really fast G to set me straight. Help me! I want to change!

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Dirty Sanchez said:

Modifiying cars is a fun hobby, but pointless when you get spanked by 328's (eh Oasis?). Unless you get an SR20DET or a 300hp Supertouring motor, this will happen! Besides, they will always be front wheel drive. I bought my car for comfort, looks, and reliability. Not speed, or even potential for speed. Stillen kits, crazy paint, and loud exhaust turns the G from class to rice (unless it is at least a 14 second car). Sorry guys.... just my opinion. If you want speed get a different car.

Perhaps I just need some positive feedback or a really fast G to set me straight. Help me! I want to change!
Yes
look at my sig.
yes

Pointless is all in the eyes of the beholder. I have my G20 mildly modified and I know for a fact I can hold my own on the track (it all depends upon the driver though.... I still have a LONG ways to go as far as improvement). The potential for speed is there. Yes, rice is evil.

Anytime you (or anyone for that matter) is in Az send me a message and I'd be happy to meet up and bs about cars. Hell, if you could make it to a track event sometime out here I'm sure either myself or Kyle would be able to show you how fast a G20 can go on the track (Kyle would be MUCH faster-much better driver).

BTW, how about a better thread titles next time, ok? =)
Oh yeah, if you don't believe what i said above just do a search and look at everyone else's past comments about their cars.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Dirty Sanchez said:

If you want a G20 to race you are in the wrong car genius. If you want to be a speedster start with a 6cylinder for starters. You modify to improve factory performance not to run on the track. It would be nice to run ocassionally to see if your car can put the power down but its not a RACE CAR!

Modifiying cars is a fun hobby, but pointless when you get spanked by 328's (eh Oasis?).

BMW vs Infiniti???? Are you on crack? I wouldnt even think about that. 318 maybe 325 I doubt it. 328 hells no! You must be on some serious stuff.

Unless you get an SR20DET or a 300hp Supertouring motor, this will happen! Besides, they will always be front wheel drive. I bought my car for comfort, looks, and reliability. Not speed, or even potential for speed. Stillen kits, crazy paint, and loud exhaust turns the G from class to rice (unless it is at least a 14 second car). Sorry guys.... just my opinion. If you want speed get a different car.

Maybe you should just sell your car and get a 5.0 cuz its nowhere near a race car. Its luxury with a bit of performance. Ever hear of give a lil take a lil? Well if you have luxury you can have excellent performance.

CAn you tell me one 4cyl luxury sports sedan? tell me one and I will rest my case. Just give me one that will touch an Infiniti and then you might have a slight point but until then SHHHHHHHHHUSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Re: Re: G20's Are Slow!

GTA_G20 said:

BMW vs Infiniti???? Are you on crack? I wouldnt even think about that. 318 maybe 325 I doubt it. 328 hells no! You must be on some serious stuff.

Maybe you should just sell your car and get a 5.0 cuz its nowhere near a race car. Its luxury with a bit of performance. Ever hear of give a lil take a lil? Well if you have luxury you can have excellent performance.
[/B]
What about the Primera Touring cars? :p

BMW's are nice, but a LOT more expensive. For the same price of a stock 3 series I could have a REALLY kick ass G20 for half the cost, mods and all, it'd be faster too.

Mustang 5.0's are ok, but I wouldn't own one. Especially not for track racing. That's just me though....

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
I still don't understand everyone's fasination with 1/4 miles and 0-60 times. :-\

I've taken my car to a 'real' track for some hot lapping. Even on shitty tires it does well. I've done pretty well at the auto-x events I've go to as well. The only bmw I'd buy would be the M3, even then there are other cars I'd rather spend that kind of money on.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Re: Re: Re: G20's Are Slow!

JustinP10 said:

What about the Primera Touring cars? :p

BMW's are nice, but a LOT more expensive. For the same price of a stock 3 series I could have a REALLY kick ass G20 for half the cost, mods and all, it'd be faster too.

Mustang 5.0's are ok, but I wouldn't own one. Especially not for track racing. That's just me though....

Sorry Justin Im talking about cars in thier stock form. Mod for mod aswell they would eat the g20 alive. 5.0 and 3 series(minus the 318)

Im still stressin the fact that we have a 4door family sedan with a 4cyl. Not a 2door sports coupe

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: G20's Are Slow!

GTA_G20 said:

CAn you tell me one 4cyl luxury sports sedan? tell me one and I will rest my case. Just give me one that will touch an Infiniti and then you might have a slight point but until then SHHHHHHHHHUSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH [/B]
GTA_G20 said:

Im still stressin the fact that we have a 4door family sedan with a 4cyl. Not a 2door sports coupe
The Lexus IS300 aka the Toyota Altezza/IS200 originally comes with a 4 cylinder, the same one as in the the old MR2s I believe. In Japan, I think the Altezza was meant to compete with the Primera as a "nice near-luxury" touring-type car.

Yup. The car is what it is, and we love it for what it is, not for what it SHOULD be. If you really wanted to go all fast, there's plenty of other cars you could've gone for, but the package put together in the Primera/G20 is one that suits MY taste, and I'm sure it suits the taste of many others on the forum too. Near-luxury, good looks, nice handling.... the fact that it holds the potent SR20DE is just a happy coincidence. The potential for speed is a welcome side-effect.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
..and

I would NEVER recommend a G20 or similar 4-cyl heavy lux car to anyone living in higher elevation with mountain terrain... the G20 is a total DOG in the mountains... struggling to keep up with Semi Trucks at 50mph and forget about passing anyone!

In my opinion, at sea level, in city traffic.. the G20 is fantastic and can easily hold it's own! It does what it was meant to do! ...and it is very VERY reliable transportation that is better than a Civic in my opinion of course!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: Re: G20's Are Slow!

GTA_G20 said:

CAn you tell me one 4cyl luxury sports sedan? tell me one and I will rest my case. Just give me one that will touch an Infiniti and then you might have a slight point but until then SHHHHHHHHHUSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH [/B]
How about the Acura 1.7 EL which is unfortunately available only in Canada. http://english.acuracanada.ca/models/el.asp

·
Registered
431 Posts
The Acura EL, huh.........

Living just a few hours from the Canadian border, we occasionally see these Canada-only Civics-in-an-Acura-suit on the I-5 freeway.

I'm surprised some local Honda-Ricey-F&F-wannabees don't get some EL duds for their Civics. It would be unique, high-quality, and in good taste ........ooooh - I think I just answered my own question!:confused:

Getting back to the main topic .... both cars are great, and I looked at both when I bought (used), but the simplicity of the mechanicals on the G (no fiddly turbo or nose-heavy V6), plus the handling & reliability steered me to the Infiniti.

BTW, my last 6 cars were European (VW's, Saabs, Triumph), so my bias was naturally to the Audi.

I love my G!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Oops! Wrong topic........ drugs are baaaad.

Commenting on the REAL topic, yes, the G20 is slow compared to some of its competition.

I've got to agree with Jason on this......what's the big deal with 0-60 times?

Leave that "racing" (hah!!) to the one-dimensional V8 Neanderthals.

:monkey:

·
Registered
354 Posts
alright what mods to my G would make it compete with the Lexus IS 300.

·
Registered
9 Posts
just for the hell of it I ran my 94 G20 at the 1/4 and got

[email protected] (2.5 60ft!!)

all it has is a maf adapter with filter, 17degree timing... and crap uniroyal tires... oh, and our track is typically ~0.5 seconds slower than some of the better mainland ones..

this is just a cheap daily driver that I bought(cheaper than 94 civics in our area), it's comfy, drives pretty well and a good overall car till I get a project SE-R started

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe you should just sell your car and get a 5.0 cuz its nowhere near a race car. Its luxury with a bit of performance. Ever hear of give a lil take a lil?
Did you not read what I said? That was my point exactly. G's are not performance cars, they are luxury cars, so why modify them in ways which take away from their classyness and add rice? You cant make a race car out of a dog, so why bother trying? This is why I choose to floss instead.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anytime you (or anyone for that matter) is in Az send me a message and I'd be happy to meet up and bs about cars. Hell, if you could make it to a track event sometime out here I'm sure either myself or Kyle would be able to show you how fast a G20 can go on the track
I have raced on the track here many many times, alot more than most people. But I had a well modified Civic that ran faster times then any N/A G20 (excluding SuperTouring) I have come across. But a Civic is a small light car, and by no means a luxury or classy car, so modifying it seemed worth it at the time. So to see a G20 try to race a Civic like my old one, and lose, just makes the car look like crap. Slow and flossin is better than notsoslow and rice'in (in my opinion).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about the Acura 1.7 EL which is unfortunately available only in Canada
Trust me....its a dog too. Just a fancy Civic. Sister has one. Gay! I dont even want the G20 to be compared to them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Are you guys talking about the 5spd or auto G?? The auto is yes kinda slow. But the 5 speed is a different car. Bring your weak ass Super Civ and I'll show you how fast the G is!!! I WILL CRUSH that!!! No the G is not an S4 or a Vette or even VR6, but for its class it is ok. Look at my sig and you will see the mods that I have. All together about $800. in mods. With that I can CRUSH any Civ 4banger or Accord(also a Super Civ) V6 minus NO2!! Does anybody watch Speedvision. If you do you will see that the Premeria does very well in the GT class. I know that my G is not a "race car" but when I race I usually win. WHAT!!:evil:

·
Registered
778 Posts
My "slow" stock 97 P11 Primera 2.:rambo:i GX so far has smoked:

BMW 318, 325
Alfa 156
Audi A3,A4
VW Golf IV VR6
and many other european cars I couldn't recognise any more.

It makes toast of most Civics, Toyotas and Mitsubishis.

Only when I met a Mitsu Lancer EVO VI it really hurt:( .

But: I like my car, my girl friend likes my car, her girl friends like my car and I like to drive my car filled with up to 5 women surrounding me telling me that they like the comfort of my car!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.