Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my experience this morning I have to say that I am NOT impressed with Nissans automatic transmission on the sr20de. It is by far the worst automatic transmission I have ever encountered. If anyone ever even thinks of buying an automatic, DON'T DO IT!

The validity of my argument consists of replacing the transmission in my p10, might have to do it again because this morning it won't shift out of 3rd gear. Also spent $400.00 replacing the shift solenoids on my girlfriends '99 G20 and it still shifts like crap. And driving in numerous other automatic g20's and feeling how shotty they are.

·
Registered
13,196 Posts
I know of a 99 automatic tranny here in chicago that worked great if you need another one :(

but I haven't owned many automatics to experience automatic trans problems I guess..

I heard some GMs are the worst though.. at least that's what I heard.. lol

·
Registered
13,196 Posts
i drove 70k miles on my old g20 auto and NEVER had any shifting issues, compare that to the multiple tranny rebuilds/ replacements my mom went through in her pontiac over the same time period/miles i would say my auto g20 was great.
see... like I said, I heard bad things about GM auto trannies.. lol

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
My 01 Acura LC Type-s with 65k went through 3 trannies Thats the worst!!!!!

Thats why all my cars after that were Stick shift

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should've been a little more specific. I was just venting without thinking too much on my first post. But compared to other foreign vehicles I'd have to say they are probably on the bottom of the list.

I appreciate the offer Chris but if I have to put another transmission in I am going to do a 5-speed swap since I have everything but the 5speed trans and clutch kit.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i guess it depends on how you treat it. i beat the shit outta my transmission and car all together, and it hasn't given me a single problem...i suppose it would if i boosted it. Once in a while it shifts kinda funny, but i think it's just because it can't take the massive hp/torque im layin down :)

·
Registered
13,196 Posts
I should've been a little more specific. I was just venting without thinking too much on my first post. But compared to other foreign vehicles I'd have to say they are probably on the bottom of the list.

I appreciate the offer Chris but if I have to put another transmission in I am going to do a 5-speed swap since I have everything but the 5speed trans and clutch kit.
ok.. that makes sense to me.. g-luck with your saga :(

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Our first G20 a 93.5 with AT went over 220,000 before we sold it still running strong.

Still, craigslist seems to always have G's listed with bad trannies so I would agree - I don't think they are as durable compared to other foreign cars at least.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Drive a VW automatic tranny. Worst design ever. These things suck. My G's auto gear box is OK, except it is soooo slow. Mine has 170K on the original gear box.

·
Registered
13,196 Posts
Drive a VW automatic tranny. Worst design ever. These things suck. My G's auto gear box is OK, except it is soooo slow. Mine has 170K on the original gear box.
yeah.. stay FAR away from VW automatics of the 80s and 90s.. lol

and the non tiptronic versions of this milenium...

...although the DSGs are doing VERY well now.....

..think about it.. IN the rest of the world, (mainly Germany -- home country of VW) only about 10% of cars are automatics so they didn't spend much time focusing on the automatic trannies IMHO.. so they are horrid...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
i beat it and it keeps ticking. 100,000 miles+ of abuse.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts