Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Mine just jerks out of first but after that it's fine. Been like that for years
I've owned an auto s14, pathfinder (r50) and a p10. Every single one did this! Fresh fluid smoothed it out but it was still there. Once the vehicle is warmed up it's not so bad but in the winter time in a not fully warmed up vehicle it's a bit harsh. BTW the p10 has 132k, s14 was at 170k ish and the r50 was at 180k ish.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Hrmm those kits look interesting. I might have to check it out.

After looking at them a while it looks like they are all meant to be installed during rebuild which I am not going to do so scratch that.

·
Dude, your bed is a car..
4,567 Posts
Is just like anything else, sometimes you get a really good one and sometimes you get a really bad one. but out of the bunch i should say they are good. i don't have an auto myself but Ford or GM's are up there in the list of "SOB-WTF Trans!" Awards...

·
Registered
144 Posts
A friend has been borrowing my G for the last few weeks while her tranny (Saturn with only 80K) gets replaced. My car, the one she is driving around, has over 220K and the auto tranny just is a bit jerky like others have mentioned before.

I was about to recommend she buy an older G for the price of the Saturn tranny ($3k) but her dad works for GM so she is sort of stuck with GM. Her loss.

And I would agree with the earlier threads that ripped on Dodge tranny's...which is why they had to do the lifetime powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
You're absolutely right about them being garbage. I just replaced mine last month. It lasted 145k miles.

·
Original Owner Bitch.
3,099 Posts
Sorry to go off topic, but has anybody had bad experience with auto trannys on Audi's?

About to get an '08 A4 for the Mrs. and was curious. I'd rather her gas and brake than burn out a clutch trying to work a manual.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hrmm those kits look interesting. I might have to check it out.

After looking at them a while it looks like they are all meant to be installed during rebuild which I am not going to do so scratch that.
id want to speak to a transmission shop before buying one of the kits but i clicked around awhile and found a guy on ebay selling these. he doesnt have the best price btw. but in his ad he states " all parts and gaskets included. no special tools required". no special tools = not specifically for a rebuild = weekend project. its kinda funny, i was just at the b&m site to see if they had anything for us slowmatics. they didnt :( then this thread pops up. i had forgotten about transgo. thanks! :)

almost forgot. my trans appears to be original with roughly 208k miles. still works great.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Mine went out at 185K, replaced with JDM one which blew reverse gear seal right away(!). They may not be most reliable trannies ever, but they sure fun in Power mode. I love my AT after all its done to me. I beat on it very hard every day. It is smoothest tranny i had, and i drove a lot of cars.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The only thing I have to complain about my AT (except the fact it's an AT :smile:), is that it is shifting a bit hard from 1st to 2nd when cold.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
lol.. what's funny is my dad never had a problem with his former 1994 dodge caravan auto tranny... and now he owns a 2005 caravan.. I suggested he trade it in for a new 2008 with lifetime powertrain warranty but the amount of money he would loose in trade in/upgrade more than pays for a new tranny if he ever needs one after the 7 year powertrain warranty runs out...

·
Registered
53 Posts
The only thing I have to complain about my AT (except the fact it's an AT :smile:), is that it is shifting a bit hard from 1st to 2nd when cold.
Yeah, same here, the car pretty much jerks itself into second gear but then after that, it's smooth sailing. Guess once mine dies, gonna go ahead and do a 5 speed swap.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, same here, the car pretty much jerks itself into second gear but then after that, it's smooth sailing. Guess once mine dies, gonna go ahead and do a 5 speed swap.
When mine dies, I believe it will be high mileage, so I would get another one for modding and get another car as a DD (as I'll be rich when it happens).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mine jerks from 1st to 2nd as well, but I've yet to change the fluid...that's one of my plans for this weekend if I make it home.

Aside from our trannies seeming to be not incredibly durable, my complaint is that they feel so sluggish compared to auto trannies in other cars I've been in. They're slow to downshift and the torque converter seems to be very...sluggish I guess would be the best word I can think of. My bro's auto '96 Civic and the auto '94-'99 Celicas I've driven have much better feeling trannies IMO.

Though I don't regret getting an automatic G20 instead of a 5-speed. I spend most of my time driving in downtown Seattle and in traffic, and the auto tranny is great for that.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Major reason I stick with manuals...

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
or a ford
Exploder trannies die all the time...at least the earlier models did back in the day!

My 01 Acura LC Type-s with 65k went through 3 trannies Thats the worst!!!!!

Thats why all my cars after that were Stick shift
I had the 2001 Honda Accord V6, bought brand new. The trannies (probably same as yours) were dying after 20-30k miles. I sold it after 16k miles. Didn't want to dick w/it...then Honda extended the tranny warranty to 100k. Good for them!

Major reason I stick with manuals...
Yup, we have two auto's. the G35 (which she drives 99% of the time) and the 442...well, which is still being restored. :lol:

21 - 40 of 61 Posts