Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well, to add to this topic. I had bought a P11 with 112,xxx miles, was shifting kinda hard from 1-3 on acceleration. Changed the RTV because it was leaking, added fluid, drove it and it shifted very smooth.

It now has almost 140k miles and still shifting lke a champ.
Previous owner was a chick that was anal about maintenance. So i'm guessing that keeping up with the schedule has alot to do with it. If this one dies, i will replace it with a JDM tranny.....BUT i work for Chrysler and hotdamn them trannies limp into the 6 figure mileage range only after replacing the trannys at least 2 times.....

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Ooooh maybe it is cursed?
oooh maybe it is cursed, my tranny went 160k miles smoothly until i replaced it the same time i put in a lower mileage DE (50k miles on both) back in Nov of '06, no problems with shifting or anything, i just got rid of it iin favor of a lower mileage A/T

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2000 P11 with a auto tranny. When it's cold it shifts hard from 1-2 gear and the OverDrive won't kick in. Sometimes it stays that way and sometimes it goes away after driving a while, Is there an easy fix for this like the ground wire thing that I read from someone else or will this be a full tranny repair and cost me lots of $$$$? Any Help would be great.

·
LAST5DOA
2,348 Posts
I have a 2000 P11 with a auto tranny. When it's cold it shifts hard from 1-2 gear and the OverDrive won't kick in. Sometimes it stays that way and sometimes it goes away after driving a while, Is there an easy fix for this like the ground wire thing that I read from someone else...
It depends on how hard of a shift you are talking...Mine had a slight head jerk (sometimes a little worse) at low speeds from 1st-2nd or 2nd-1st...The ground wiring took care of that, although I still experience it every once and a while...Plus you can never go wrong with a GK for the price!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
You're wrong, HONDAs have the worst trannies
My 01 Acura LC Type-s with 65k went through 3 trannies Thats the worst!!!!!

Thats why all my cars after that were Stick shift
I dont know how many trannies i've had to replace on Hondas w/ 45K, 60K, 80K.
At least Honda finally became aware of this and extended the warranty from 36K to 45K, but we still get them all the tiiime.
Multiple trannies too.
And its not just the autos, the manuals too! Although not as much

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
guy at work had 01 cl type S. He bought it brand new and went through 4 transmissions before the car even hit 100k miles. He drives an 08 g35 now :)

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
CVTs are the crappiest and gayest trannies on Earth. They're "comfy" thats the only reason pussy @$$es buy them so they dont have to feel shift shock because it hurts their anuses.
Oh GOD dont get me started on CVTs....

·
Registered
23 Posts
It depends on how hard of a shift you are talking...Mine had a slight head jerk (sometimes a little worse) at low speeds from 1st-2nd or 2nd-1st...The ground wiring took care of that, although I still experience it every once and a while...Plus you can never go wrong with a GK for the price!
I actually had it Chirp 2nd gear on a turn and a hard shift last night. I was a little hard on the gas but, for that car to chirp 2nd it was kind of cool. Keep in mind this is an automatic. On the other side, it probably isn't good that it's doing this. so, what ground wire should I replace? From the Battery or the ALT?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
my auto tranny never gave me a problem before I swaped to manual but then again I hated autos the second I started driving...although one day I was driving home baked and I must say having the auto and cruise control made that drive sooooo easy and nice...too bad when I swaped to manual I lost cruise :( does anyone know of how to remedy this?

·
Registered
164 Posts
CVTs are the crappiest and gayest trannies on Earth. They're "comfy" thats the only reason pussy @$$es buy them so they dont have to feel shift shock because it hurts their anuses.
Oh GOD dont get me started on CVTs....
The one on our '07 Altima is great. :-\

I don't like my Civic's auto, it is stiff in 2-3 and 3-4, but it has been 180k miles, so I can't complain.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
The one on our '07 Altima is great. :-\

I don't like my Civic's auto, it is stiff in 2-3 and 3-4, but it has been 180k miles, so I can't complain.
Nissan is starting to disappoint me with their love of stuffing the stupid CVT in all their vehicles. What are we gonna get next, the CVT Titan? Good luck towing with that :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
yeah CVT's are getting out of hand, they should just replace autos. I miss the 6 speed maximas. But people get all whiny about shifting and whatnot, but i bet they shutup when they see how much they have to pay per quart for CVT fluid... $27 per quart, and they take an upwards of 11 quarts i think, so 300 bucks just for service thats a dent in the wallet that i wouldnt really like to pay for

·
Registered
2 Posts
i drove 70k miles on my old g20 auto and NEVER had any shifting issues, compare that to the multiple tranny rebuilds/ replacements my mom went through in her pontiac over the same time period/miles i would say my auto g20 was great.
i drove 70k miles on my old g20 auto and NEVER had any shifting issues, compare that to the multiple tranny rebuilds/ replacements my mom went through in her pontiac over the same time period/miles i would say my auto g20 was great.
So the old g20 has 70k miles on the odometer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
A friend has been borrowing my G for the last few weeks while her tranny (Saturn with only 80K) gets replaced. My car, the one she is driving around, has over 220K and the auto tranny just is a bit jerky like others have mentioned before.

I was about to recommend she buy an older G for the price of the Saturn tranny ($3k) but her dad works for GM so she is sort of stuck with GM. Her loss.

And I would agree with the earlier threads that ripped on Dodge tranny's...which is why they had to do the lifetime powertrain warranty.
What year is your g20?

41 - 60 of 61 Posts