Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that 94 and up G20s have the gas light warning when getting low on fuel but the 93.5 and below does not.. Does anyone have a 93.5 P10 or older that DOES have the gas light warning?

...and how about 94 and new without gas light warning? ..anyone?

...just curious!

:confused:

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
o.k.

I wonder if mine is just burnt out.. cause it NEVER goes off and I've gone close to fumes before...

I'd just hate to take the dash apart and find there is no place for a bulb or something crazy like that...

..but if your 91 had it?!?

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Re: o.k.

Chris said:
I wonder if mine is just burnt out.. cause it NEVER goes off and I've gone close to fumes before...
Mine has only lit up a couple of times. There is a lot more gas than you think so it rarely comes on if you fill up when the guage reads almost empty.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Re: o.k.

Chris said:

I'd just hate to take the dash apart and find there is no place for a bulb or something crazy like that...

..but if your 91 had it?!?
Are you sure you went low enough? You have to go past "E" for a while then it'll come on. ;)

If the bulb is busted, it is replaceable. I've taken it out before, but I forgot if it's a 194 or 74 bulb.

My money is on all P10's having the fuel light. :p

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
o.k.

I wanted to have it functional before my Alaska trip -- hate to get stuck somewhere without gas in the middle of nowhere! I'm already taking some extra fuel just in case..

...so I guess I'll take it apart next week to check and see!!!!

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Chris said:
I've heard that 94 and up G20s have the gas light warning when getting low on fuel but the 93.5 and below does not.. Does anyone have a 93.5 P10 or older that DOES have the gas light warning?

...and how about 94 and new without gas light warning? ..anyone?

...just curious!

:confused:

I have a 93.5 and had a '91 before and they both have it. Do either of them work NO! My 93.5 used to work a few yrs ago when I bought it but not anymore. My gas gauge is really screwy and drops alot under WOT then comes back up after you shut the car off.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Chris said:
I wanted to have it functional before my Alaska trip -- hate to get stuck somewhere without gas in the middle of nowhere! I'm already taking some extra fuel just in case...
if you've been checking your mpg then you should roughly know how many miles you get per tank. i get high 200 or very low 300 miles per tank (btw-i've been getting better gas milage now that i've converted to mobil one). so i would go off of that to judge how you actually are on fuel.

what kind of extra fuel are you taking? i hope you aren't putting a gallon of gasoline in your trunk...very unsafe. they have some stuff, i forgot the name, that is specifically to be used when you run out of gas and never any other time. i would recommend getting some of that stuff.

and as for the light, i have a 93.5 and have never seen it come on. i've taken my guage deep, but never extreme. so either it's burned out or i just haven't gotten crazy enough.

·
Registered
153 Posts
greekman said:

if you've been checking your mpg then you should roughly know how many miles you get per tank. i get high 200 or very low 300 miles per tank (btw-i've been getting better gas milage now that i've converted to mobil one). so i would go off of that to judge how you actually are on fuel.

what kind of extra fuel are you taking? i hope you aren't putting a gallon of gasoline in your trunk...very unsafe. they have some stuff, i forgot the name, that is specifically to be used when you run out of gas and never any other time. i would recommend getting some of that stuff.

and as for the light, i have a 93.5 and have never seen it come on. i've taken my guage deep, but never extreme. so either it's burned out or i just haven't gotten crazy enough.

Wow :surprised 300 miles to a tank? I can run to about 420-450 in my G.

·
Registered
201 Posts
kbslacker said:
Wow :surprised 300 miles to a tank? I can run to about 420-450 in my G.
i've never gotten anything close to that, even when i bought it w/ 48k miles (i have 84k now). most of the time i'll fill up when it gets between 1/4 tank and E, but those 300 mile romps are when the guage gets closer to E. usually when i fill up, i get around 10 gallons.

why do you get more miles per tank? is it something i've missed?
:-\

·
Registered
153 Posts
greekman said:

i've never gotten anything close to that, even when i bought it w/ 48k miles (i have 84k now). most of the time i'll fill up when it gets between 1/4 tank and E, but those 300 mile romps are when the guage gets closer to E. usually when i fill up, i get around 10 gallons.

why do you get more miles per tank? is it something i've missed?
:-\

Well, if you get 10 gallons on a fill up, try running out the rest of the three. I think I hit almost 13 when I fill up. Maybe it's 12..

·
Registered
201 Posts
kbslacker said:
Well, if you get 10 gallons on a fill up, try running out the rest of the three. I think I hit almost 13 when I fill up. Maybe it's 12..

i'll give it a try on the tank i have in now. i'll let you know.

·
Registered
306 Posts
13 gallon?

My tank on my 95t is 16 something gallons. Early models have a smaller tank? I ran it down to the warning light and filled up and found I still had another 4 gallons. Roughly 100+ miles. I am getting over 30mpg and an easy 400+ miles per tank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i own a 91 g20 and i've seen my light go on quite a few times ... so it def works ....
i also get about 250-300 miles per tank ... plus mine's a stick (no slush box for me) ;-) so i guess my driving style consumes a lot of gas ...

just passed a 115k ...

·
Registered
194 Posts
My experience tells me

All P10's have a 15.5 gallon gas tank. I can't speak for the P11's, but I imagine they are similar in size. The fuel light will come on when there's approximately 3 gallons left as long as it's not burned out. If you usually are putting 10 gallons in when you refuel, you'll never see your warning light blink. If you do like I do and put in 12 to 12.5 gallons when refueling I usually see the light blink for 25 miles or so. First off, for comparison's sake, my engine is 100% stock with Mobil1 5w30 engine oil. As for mileage, I always get 420 to 440 miles per tank unless I grow a hevier foot to show off or to vent some frustrations. (I know they say not to drive angry, but nothing gets me in a good mood faster than squeeling tires and 7000+ rpm's.) In this case the mileage drops off dramatically (mid 20's). Mileage improves as octane rating increases, but the difference is very minor and hardly noticible if you don't drive the same way on the same route over and over each day like I do. I hope this helps answer some questions that were asked.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the mystery continues...

O.k. I have indeed verified that I have a gas light... and it is even functional! (tested the bulb)... BUT I have never seen the light go on either.. so this means that I either have not gone down low enough OR my sending unit is kaput in the tank...

I have gone as far as needing 11.9 gallons for a fill up and thought that was right at E if I remember correctly...

go figure!!!

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
When you see the light you will pump in a lot more gas than 12 gallons.

I don't know when you will run out of gas but it is a lot further than the E.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When my light comes on, I need about 13 gallons to fill up. I usually drive for some time with the light on. The most gas I have put in was 14.8 gallons, and I have never ran it out of gas. My fuel light works just peachy, as does the fuel gauge.

With me driving with my foot in it all the time, I usually get about 23.5 MPG. That means I fill up around 300+ miles to the tank. If the gas tank size truly is 15.5 gallons, then I should be able to safely go 340 miles or so before I need to fill up.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
o.k.

I'm gonna keep a log of what my gas mileage is with fill-ups... Although I'll probably give up in Canada 'cause I won't be able to deal with the liter to gallon conversion!... but I'm hoping to get a solid 30mpg or better doing just highway driving.. I'll have to update the board what the results are!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts