Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to the shop and the Mechanic told me I would have to change all my
engine gaskets to prevent it from leaking.
He told me this job is going to be expensive. :rambo: :angry: :surprised

·
no rainguard clips...FML
4,132 Posts
zee11377 said:
I took my car to the shop and the Mechanic told me I would have to change all my
engine gaskets to prevent it from leaking.
He told me this job is going to be expensive. :rambo: :angry: :surprised
first off, find out which gaskets...

head gasket will be money for sure (if the mechanic will be doing the work)

but dont let him mess with you if its just a valvecover gasket....

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I did my valvecover gasket yesterday, took 35 minutes, but first find out which gaskets are the ones that need replacing, clean the motor, run it a couple of days check to see where oil comes from, I would think the bottom oil pan maybe upper are needed, but that's not a gasket but RTV, silicone sealant.... good luck bro, search around you'll find threads on everything you'll ever need, and if you cant just ask us and we'll fill you in.

BTW you can find gasket sets on ebay all gaskets for like 50 bucks, good luck.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Cam cover gasket is easy and cheap to replace.
Lower oil pan is relatively cheap to replace.

Any other oil leaks, forget it. One hour of labor cost from your mechanic will buy four years worth of oil changes.

Don't forget your driving a car that is 13 years old. It is not worth the excessive money your mechanic wants.

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
Let me clarify for zee.

The tranny pan gasket was leaking so I told my mother in law to take it to her mechanic and have him change it. The mechanic mentioned something about needing to change all the gaskets. I assume he thinks that he will be rebuilding the tranny and needs all gaskets. This is a simple drop pan, let drain, wipe off filter, put gasket, bolt lower pan back and refill.

HOWEVER! It may be too late. I think it was driven for some time without tranny fluid and I have been told it will barely move now when you give it gas. The engine revs nice and loud but it doesnt move. I will be checking it out tomorrow hopefully and I will update. Any suggestions otherwise?

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
junknstuff said:
^^upper and lower oil pans dont have gaskets. you're suppose to use RTV for those.

but the valve cover gasket you definitely want to purchase the actual gasket and use the RTV sealant in the half moon shaped areas.
He was talking about the tranny pan I think. That is suppose to use a regular gasket which I have already from Justin. The oil pan you use RTV.

I think I got a little more clarification today. The mechanic was saying two things. One is that the car needs the tranny pan gasket. Second that there are several other gaskets leaking. I assume the front main seal (crank pulley seal) and maybe valve cover gasket and oil sending unit. I gotta check it out tomorrow hopefully.

Mechanic said its over $1000 in work...wtf????? :zoinks:

·
I Gots More NISMO Then U!
2,913 Posts
dam $1k for all the parts and labor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG. do a swap for that price! getting ripped off. we dont even charge close to that at a dealership.

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
nut180sx said:
dam $1k for all the parts and labor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG. do a swap for that price! getting ripped off. we dont even charge close to that at a dealership.
I know! I will be talking to this mechanic soon. :bandit:

·
I Gots More NISMO Then U!
2,913 Posts
ya give him a piece of my mind to from all the way accros the country!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts