Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, I'm pulling my transaxle out to replace the blown up clutch in it. While it is out, I want to tear into it and replace the synchronizers, bearings, and whatever else (inserts, hub/sleeves, etc) that I may have damaged driving it in the south-eastern Ohio mountains with a clutch not disengaging. I would also get a grind up-shifting into third too fast or down-shifting into second; at 283,000 miles, it won't hurt. I would love the 6-speed swap but the lack of P12 bellhousings now and a full P12 Transaxle swap is ridiculous, I think I ought to keep my 5-speed!

Now, my model is a 2000 G20t with the VLSD, transaxle code RS5F70V. I'm striking out on readily available kits for this transaxle. I did find two kits but am waiting to hear back on the two kits I did find for my application. Now, I found the kit for the non-VLSD transaxle, code RS5F32A, easier and not priced outrageously.

SO, my question is, can I use the bearings and synchronizers from the non-VLSD kit, transaxle code RS5F32A, in my transaxle (RS5F70V) less the differential bearings as I know those are different (and effing expensive as I've priced the VLSD differential bearings)? They are the same basic transaxles but unsure if there is that much diffeence. Hopefuly so O.G. G20 guys can help out on this so I can get my car back on the road, this has postponed the rust repair!

EDIT: I am still unsure of the benefits of the B15 transaxle swap. Are they shorter gears which helps with acceleration or longer for better cruising?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have the 5th gear pop out kit if interested. It includes the hub/sleeve and 5th input. It's in the FS section if you want to see the part #'s.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How sure are you that you have a RS5F32V and not the RS5F70V?
I'm not. The car is sitting at my father-in-laws shop waiting for my lazy ass to rip it apart so I can't look at the data plate. I do know it's a viscous transaxle so whatever it is, I know it ends in 'V'. The 70-series does sound more familiar. I got those 32 transaxle codes looking at Amsoils website.

EDIT: It is the original transaxle so that would make it the 70V. <--- Where can I buy the stuff to rebuild that one?

I also noticed in the 2001 Sentra FSM that the QG18DE 1.8L Sentra uses the RS5F70A just like the SR-powered Sentra (non-VLSD). The final drive and fifth gear is slightly different. Wouldn't that transaxle be usable?

I have the 5th gear pop out kit if interested. It includes the hub/sleeve and 5th input. It's in the FS section if you want to see the part #'s.
I saw that for sale but I'm not having pop out issues, just grinding in certain gears at certain RPM. With that said, if I measure fifth gear clearance at the baulk ring and it's out and I can use your kit, I'll hit you up. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts