Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Getting ready to swap in a used motor.

491 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  bhowle 
#1 ·
So I'm beginning to get things together to swap a low mileage SR into the G. The original motor is still happily (well, more or less) chugging along at 210k, but as SR's are known to throw rods at random, and this is my daily driver, I want to make sure it's a reliable car. Plus, I don't feel right putting money into mods on a motor that's pretty worn out. I'm about to pick up a compressor + tools, engine hoist and engine stand. I still need to get a higher lift jack + stands, and of course, a new engine. I did some searching, but I still can't figure out the best method for getting the engine out. I know it needs to come out through the bottom, but how do I get the car up high enough to do it, without using a lift? I've seen some pics of people on here using the engine hoist to lift the car itself, so I guess that could work, it's just a matter of where to attach the hoist to the car where no damage is caused. So, any suggestions you guys have that've been through this already, I'd appreciate it.

#2 ·
What I did is jack the car up using a floor jack and pop it on jackstands, and then once the engine was on the ground I lifted it with the hoist until I could slide it out from underneath. I then put the jackstands on cinder blocks (NOT recommended -- one of them developed some wicked cracks by the end and could easily have broken -- use some rhino ramps or something instead) and lowered the car onto them.

Of course, that created the problem of getting the car down afterwards -- so I put the jack on a cinder block, lowered the car halfway, put it back on jackstands, and then put the jack on the floor and lowered it the rest of the way.

BTW, get a GOOD floor jack -- I was using a friend's, but mine is a crappy little one that only lifts about 13". Your life will be so much easier if you get one that lifts 19"-21".

#3 ·
#4 ·
Hahaha, I think we probably have the same crappy floor jack. I hate that thing...

I did my swap without an engine stand and it wasn't incredibly hard to move crap around. I slid mine across the concrete but it's probably a better idea to put down some plywood if you're going to go without a stand.

Compressor link doesn't work.

If I were you I'd probably wait until the engine was broken to swap a new one in, but whatevs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.