Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up. Well riding around in my friends G20 for an hour and I decided it's one of the koolest nicest rides I've been in. And it's a car I can afford for a daily driver and a nice winter car. In anycase. I'm looking at getting a 91-94 style. I'm only looking to spend $2000-$2500. I've found a couple on Autotrader.. I've just been scouting for a good one. Well when I comes time. I will ask all the right questions. But i'm probably going to drive out and pick it up and drive it back to Omaha,NE. ..where I live. Well when I go out there.. someone can send me pics and describe and answer all the questions. An it may sound nice. But when I go to see and get the car in person I'm going to look it over and vigiously inspect it. Is there anything I should really look out for when buying that year area of a G20? I'm going to make a checklist of things to look for. Anything like the CV joints go bad at so many miles and you should check to see if those are fucked up or some helpful stuff like that. Please anything is helpful. I do not want to buy a G20 that looks nice an only had 89k miles on it only to find out that the "blank" is totally fucked up a week later. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
k, well I help a lot of people out.. come on peeps. Help a brother out for crying out loud. :tired:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Fifth Gear Pop-out is the Achille's Heel of the G20.

Make sure the previous owner(s) paid attention to the oil change schedule. SR20DE motors love fresh oil.

Get a 5-speed for much better performance.

Best to look for a 93.5 or newer (body colored side-moulding, shiny oem wheels are the visual cues) so you can avoid the annoying and troublesome seatbelt mouse-thingy.

As with any used car, look to see if the previous owner installed any cheesy aftermarket junk and an over-the-top stereo (a clue....he'll call it a "system"). These are sure signs the car was driven in an abusive manner in a feeble attempt to be "cool."

-That's all. Good luck!

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
As with all second hand motors make sure the car is straight and that it has'nt been an insurance right off.Also a full service history helps and make sure there is no outstanding finance on it,thats just the basics.Things to check on a g20/primera are smoky engines only on high milers,shabby interiors(on older cars) incorrect wheel balance,failed electric window lifts and just basically make sure the car aint had the tits thrashed of it and just general wear and tear.Apart from that they very very good reliable motors and you will not be dissapointed mate.

·
Registered
180 Posts
First go to carfacts.com or something like that where you can find out if the car has been in any accidents. Be wary of new oil as it might be a coverup. But also look for grit or dirty oil b/c it can mean that the engine has crap in it. Look at the underside of the hood for any splashes or the like to be signs of something that has gone wrong (ie if there is oil on the under part it's bad) Ask the person about what they did for maintaince and ask if they kept the recpit (tire rotaions, oil changes, etc) Look at the tires for unatural ware or signs of non-rotation. hmmm..... Get him to pay for a mechanic to look at it, and try to go to a nissan or infiniti palce if possible. Listen to the sounds at idle and let it idle for a long time and observe the temp gage. There is really no way to be completetly sure, but you can get a good idea of what kind of shape it's in by the owner, if he is a car guy or not. (my brother has no respect for cars, but i sure keep my in tip top shape)
Good Luck:confused:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Very true. Any used car can be a gamble. I'd say have an extra $500 set aside for...well,...anything(something may come up 2-3 months after you get it.).

You just never know.....:monkey: :paranoid:
;)

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
-broken power antenna(I'm willing to pay $50 that all you go see wont work)

-excessive wear onn the steering wheels and front seats

-hesitation between 2-4000 rpm

-blown shocks or struts

-original paint

-rust : inside front doors where hindle attatches to body
rear dog legs(rockerpanel)
front quarter panel attaches to bumper
beneath the trunk rusty welds on the body construction

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kool, thanks guys. Alot are what I would of checked anyways. But some refreshed my memory and others I didn't know about. Like the hesitation from 2-4k RPM. Isn't that something like you just have to clean out a vacuum line or something? I saw it somewhere, but don't remember where or what exactly it was. I do know throttle hesitation, this might be one of the causes. Also $500 ready for "shit". Yes good idea. I had a 92 Talon Tsi AWD that was spotless inside and outside on the whole damn car. Then it blew the gasket on the oil return line.. and that was a bitch to find the leak on that. (glad it wasn't the actual turbo though:nervous: ) All of this info is helpfull, it's what i'm looking for. Anything else not thought of? Don't all G20's have a very slight bit of metal shavings under the oil cap. My friend has a 91 G20 with around 110k miles. His has it. I went and checked a 96 G20 today. It had it, but I think that 96 was a POS. It had cobwebs and lots of dust under the engine... like it wasn't taken care of well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts