Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
got a clunking problem and it goes clunk clunk clunk in a straight line and its pretty loud. at first it only did it while i was turning then later in the day it did it in a straight line. the only thing i can think of is i'm only using 3 wheel bolts because one snapped off when trying to remove it, anyway i got the other three down fairly tight so i don't think that is the prob, but i could be wrong. so any clue as to what this might be? PLEASE HELP!!

and it only does this under load, i put it on jack stands and i did not have the sound.

·
♥
3,947 Posts
the remaining lug has no pressure on it anymore. this can cause it to seat itself to far in the hub making that noise. iv had this problem... i would suggest to first have a new lug put on, and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sounds like an axle problem. Did the sound turning come only when you turned specifically to one side? If so, look and see which boot is messed up and replace accordingly.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is not an axle prob i've checked it and all the boots are still on so lack of grease is not an issue. and i just checked the lug it is still where i left it some time ago.

and it only does this under load, i put it on jack stands and i did not have the sound.

·
Registered
494 Posts
unless its your hub and wheel bearing which have seperated? There are only a few types of noises...can you be more specific?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe it's a banging sound?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the right-front side, near the wheel.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok!! me and my dad figured it out. they are stress noises coming from the other 3 lug bolts, i guess you can only run on three for a little bit before they start to get weak.

so now does anybody know how to take the bolts off and put the new ones on?

p.s. thanks to everybody who helped me out.

·
Pining for "DMSentra"
5,558 Posts
I have replaced several lug studs before without removing the hub from the car. The biggest hurdles are usually getting the old stud out from behind the hub and the new one in there. Look closely at the situation and maybe try fitting a new stud up in the gap between the hub and knuckle. If you can get the new one in there easy then you've got it made.
Of course, take the new stud back out before you start removing the old one. When you buy the new stud get a couple extra standard nuts to go on it, with a couple flat washers. To remove the old stud take the wheel, brake caliper and rotor off the car if the rotor is a slide off style( I haven't had to do brakes on G20 yet??). Turn the hub so that the bad stud is almost straight up and wedge a piece of metal between the hub and the knuckle, making sure that the wedge isn't behind the stud. It'll maybe take two people to accomplish this. Using at least a two pound hammer drive the remaining old stud out, after checking for clearance behind. It may sound funny but a small hammer will do more damage than a big one in this case, if you don't miss. The push of more mass makes for a smoother drive. The wedge behind is to protect the wheel bearing, which is not very good at taking shock loads. Make sure that wedge is doing the job. If you beat on the hub without something to protect it you may not notice any damage to the bearing for quite a while as it'll start with a small chip or crack and develop from there.
Feed that broken stub out of there and snake the new one in. Lube the threads and between the washers with Neverseize, or another real good lube, and install the washers and a nut. You can screw the nut on and it'll press the stud in. I'd go halfway and switch to the other nut. That'll keep a better thread form in the end. Put a bit more lube on at the same time. You'll feel it bottom out with 1/2" drive ratchet, and with a couple of torquing checks over a couple days of driving it'll be good to go.

Oh, a piece of heavy flat bar over one good stud and under another and braced on the floor will hold the hub from spinning. Round bar will burr the threads.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks dude i just got all four done and all i need to do is wait for a couple days to tourqe the rest of them down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts