Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the car a while back, then decided to sell it to a friend in need of a nice platform. He said he'd give the G20 a try...he's hooked ;). He wanted me to find the lowest milage SR20DE I could find...done = 01 RR with 7,000 miles on it (yes only 3 "0") . Then he wanted me to swap it in and have it run, idle, drive around town, and not over heat. Done and Done. Here are the progress pics. Actual swap was done in about 4 days, just had to spread it out due to work and parts. Even before the engine was in the bay, I knew I had to get some parts made and source some electrical stuff, as well as redo the harness to fit the newer style engine. It was nothing hard at all, just had to take my time.

And the video of it running, idling, and revving, and then coming back to perfect idle... http://tinypic.com/r/15ewy2o/3

The engine mounts on the drive and passenger are solid hockey puck mounts, but the rears are brand new OEM ones, which I'll soon be removing to put a solid one in from Chris, there is still too much movement in the shifter, and I want to avoid 5th gear pop out on this car. I have other SR projects I am doing, but for now this is the only G20. It'll get turboed sometime before the end of the year as a stock engine.

·
Registered
688 Posts
good job when i was swapping mine it took me 5 months, but at times it would stand a month before i touched it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Nice install
Looks like you started with a highport OBD1 car - the 1993 in your sig?
Mostly curios about the specifics of the wiring harness modifications - main plug etc.
Also are what ECU did you use?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kept the factory OBD1 ECU and all sensors that went with it. The engine I got had a harness with it, but a bunch of the connectors were cut off. I just lengthened the IACV connectors, and also just unraveled the Coolant temp sensors from the harness and made them route along the bottom. The injectors are wired with 6.8 ohms 10 watt resistors inline that go to the ECU ground signal, so there are a total of 4 of those. The injector harness used is off the 01+RR engine and I just cut the wires at the connector and spliced in the power and appropriate ECU injector signal wires. That was about it as far as wiring went. No CEL present, no EGR present either, and I did not wire up the Air vavle under the manifold, but so far, no issues really when not running that valve. Used all electronics on the engine from the highport. About the HP, not much of a gain really. But the car was never running due to a dropped valve, that resulted in a destroyed piston and severly bent rod., oh and a hole in the cylinder wall, but all that was known upon purchase, so the plan was already to put a different engine in.

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
Interesting....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car hit 1,000 Miles this week, so I'd say she's pretty broken. So all is well with this swap. Next car is my B13... finally going twerbeau, after 2 months of owning the car. Too long IMO to have an NA SR20...Car will be heading to my friends fab shop for a custom intercooler setup and downpipe, and he is making 3 extra sets of the piping and IC setup to sell. Hope they turn out good. He has previous work on various cars, but his first FWD SR20DET ever to get fab work done. I'm sure he'll be cussing up a storm due to engine bay layout.

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
Broken ??? Or broken IN ? I gues the latter....

·
Registered
957 Posts
hows that 5 extra hp feel lol
i was wondering that also keke :teeth:

haha anywho plus points for mech exp. gaining and a succesful transplant! ^.^ but why didn't you just hunt down a ve or something instead? ... or budget ftl?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.