Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
G hoarder
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it actually began, when i realized how much uncle sam was gonna be givin me way back in january.

so i schemedand, planned, and thought about what i could do with all that cash, and then i bought this(the Blue one) with a small chunk of it:

moved her to the garage, great day to wrench:

Finally started rippin into it last weekend:

Got serious today:

found out the knock was in #4 when we opened the oil pan. pulled the cap of the rod and NO BEARING it was all right here:

couple questions:

what car does an engine with the stamp 78e come out of?

which t25 is this? so i can id the engine and get more info if/when i have the bottom rebuilt

is this normal for the cuts on the x-member and is its strength compromised? kinda hard to see but there are 3 cuts 2 in the middle for engine ribs and one near the end for the fmic

what size belt so i can eliminate this 25lb pos a/c compressor? i have read either 805mm or 845mm both on this forum:

my original plan was to swap in the motor from my old 92 and make this a daily while i worked on my 2000 and then sell this, but thats not happening. my white p11 is gonna stay stock for now since this car is proving to be a slightly bigger project than i had originally schemed

Well i have 3 options at this point:
1) grab another jdm det swap, tune, and sell, unlikely but my third choice
2) grab a new det bottom or find a bored, assembled det short block and plug and play most likely atm since its the middle ground cost wise and will mostlikely yield the most reliable car
3) bore this bottom end and do the complete rebuild myself $$$

if i do 2 or 3 i will most likely keep this car and sell my p11 if i do 1 i keep the p11 and drop a grand or 2 into it

i am doin this project to learn, i have no ego as far as my mechanical skills go so if you see something i missed in this thread please ask or suggest. i am looking for a reliable yet fun car and some knowledge to boot.

thanks for looking

·
Full-Time Chiller . . . .
6,285 Posts
how are the cylinders? could you get new internals and rebuild that block?

for the belt just get one for a 91 sentra ser without ac.

·
Registered
543 Posts
dont forget the bracket the a/c mounts to its heavy too

·
G hoarder
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the thing is i could get new internals but i would still have to have it bored to 87mm get pistons rods bearings and probably a crank and for that cost i might as well just get one that has already been built up by a pro and send my block back for the core

im gonna be doin some serious parts shopping come monday heres the list:
non-a/c belt
bored & built short block or pistons rods etc for a rebuild
gaskets(oil pan, head, vc, header, and probably anything else i can get)
driver side cv boots
fuel filter and return line
motor mounts
new intake filter
im sure there is more but its late

·
Full-Time Chiller . . . .
6,285 Posts
^that sounds like a fun little project. I wish I could've picked that car up, now i remember when it was for sale, you got a deal on that thing.

·
G hoarder
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got the 27 mm socket in at the part store so i could take off the crank pulley bolt. then i couldnt do it alone so i had to wait till my buddy was home( he drives truck so sometimes that takes a while, and asking my wife would just be asking for an argument)

well anyway, after the 10 day setback i coaxed the axle nut off and tomorrow the front cover, oil pump and water pump will come off. ill throw up some part numbers once i order to help anyone that ever goes through this

i am really starting to see this project come together and can almost see light at the end of the tunnel, and i can't wait to drive this beast

·
G hoarder
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the block is at the machine shop, along with the crank and the rods. crank rod journals will be turned 20 over. main journals maybe 10 over if not just polished, block will be hot tanked to clean it and polished. he said he would let me know if he thought trueing the rod that spun the bearing was worth it.

i figure i might as well start shoppin. someone on sr20-forum suggested i find a used rod, but wouldnt that be riskier than polishing and reusing my originals? if i did try this i would just have to find one with the same bearing grade marker right?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
nice to see you working on this thing man. damn that bearing really took a shit.

·
G hoarder
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Parts people are pissing me off. anyone know of someone who actually has det pistons and rods and gasket sets in stock? 3 places have said "ill check into part availability and pricing and get back to you" and weeks later i have heard nothing and i get no answer when calling them wtf. im spending over $1000 on parts, and thats not enough for these people to even give a shit.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
are they interchangeable with the s13/s14 det's? Just wondering because there are a few places that has parts for the silvia's. Such as www.240sxmotoring.com which is local to me and owned by a guy I know and www.srswap.com. Just trying to give you more options. I don't know if those stores carry pistons and rods but they have alot of stuff for rwd det's.

Here is a link to enjuku. They are big in the 240 scene. They seem to have OEM parts that your looking for too incase that's the route your were taking.
http://enjukuracing.com/-c-24_31.html

·
G hoarder
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the oem route seemed to be a dead end so then i started shopping aftermarket forged aluminum. which will kinda break my budget so i might have to up my final sale $$$ and go all out hp just to make a few bucks back. unfortunately it seems most of the "vendors" i have talked to actually just drop ship form some bigger CO and it takes a few weeks. i need to find who they buy from and just buy direct so ill get them sooner.

my goal was to be done by June 1st so i could have a summer and sell b4 winter. that goal is shot now.

thanks for the links

·
Registered
688 Posts
sounds like some project, i would love a det project. i dont see why the rear wheel sr's internals wont work on the front wheel sr's, the internals should be the same, right?

·
G hoarder
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
drove p10 to work today. now i have a list of things to fix before i can let the wife drive it to school.

brakes, soft pedal(fixed stainless with lines)
suspension is softer, im addicted to low(amr coilovers installed)
transmission whines in 3rd & 4th(fixed lsd trans from a 94 installed, now whines in reverse)
no tunes(jvc headunit installed)
sunroof dripped twice mysteriously, nothing appears to be wet...(fixed with worm clamps on drain hoses)
right front turn signal does the quick flash thing but the bulbs are fine.(fixed foglight wire was plugged into turnsignal bulb)
need to fill in fmic opening.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts