Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would have to say the first few cars i drove where all V8 an my dads new car that i drove around for a bit is a inline 6 superchared... man that car could kick it... Im tired of seein some of you guy complainin about how slow G's are. :crosseyed :bored: Lets face it people we GOT STYLE we don need all that speed. :bandit:

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Fabius said:
Lets face it people we GOT STYLE
No according to most reviewers we GOT BLAND! :D

Sorry I couldn't resist. :p

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I love the style of my G20 Sport. It looks awsome and the interior is perfect (besides the cup holders). I wont say anything about the power of the engine...

If you want speed trade your G in for a domestic. If you want style and grace stick with a G20.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: Re: G's are pretty fast....

G-Forces said:

No according to most reviewers we GOT BLAND!
What i dont understand is why it is such a hit everywhere else in the world, getting rave reviews and good sales, yet here in N.A, it's got terrible sales and even worse reviews........what gives?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Re: Re: Re: G's are pretty fast....

Slickkedar said:

What i dont understand is why it is such a hit everywhere else in the world, getting rave reviews and good sales, yet here in N.A, it's got terrible sales and even worse reviews........what gives?
The domestic car company's have the magazine editors by their cajones (hopefully I spelled that correctly =)) here in the States.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The reason why we get worse reviews in N.A. is because over the years the G20 has become an overweighted luxury machine. It's power to weight ratio had become incredibly low and hardly any changes to the engine have been made since 1994. That's almost 10 years ago.
Around the world the Primera has the wonderful 190bhp SR20VE in it's GT model (P11 and later only). The VE engine is baiscally v-tech in a nissan. And as we all know the reviewers generally choose the top of the range car as their test car. And trust me, those VE engines kick ass! Saw one in fitted in a gutted and caged classic se-r by SR20Dev and it ran a 13.32 1/4mi. with stock internals and header.
But back to the weight. Infinity added extra features to the cars to make them sellable in the north american market (e.g. emissions stuff, larger bumpers). So, basically what it comes down to is a car that became a couch potato and got fat and didn't gain any muscle.:*(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: Re: Re: G's are pretty fast....

Slickkedar said:

because most americans have no taste when it comes to cars (among many other things)! :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Also remember that in North America things are very far apart compared to Europe. Europeans are used to high gas prices and underpowered cars (yes, they have Porsche, BWM, Benz, etc...but most people drive cars with less power). Americans are just used to relatively cheap gasoline and cars with lots of power. So, in comparison, the G20 is an underpowered car. If they had shipped the DET or VE model to the 'States, the reviews would be quite different, i'm sure. In fact, i would be willing to bet that the G20 would be in most people's Top 10 Budget Hot Rod lists (similar to the way the Subaru WRX is being touted now).

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Cue-Ball said:
In fact, i would be willing to bet that the G20 would be in most people's Top 10 Budget Hot Rod lists (similar to the way the Subaru WRX is being touted now).
No they would find something to compain about. :( Stiff ride, torque steer, BLAND looks. ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we should never turn our back on our G's... an my question is where could i get me an sr20ve engine... i was thinkin about a sr20det but this VE seems to have potential

·
Registered
880 Posts
You can get a VE engine from SR20Development in San Diego, California. But they will cost you a pretty penny since they are a realitively new engine.SR20Development

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
SR20VE

The VE isn't all that new. It was used in the Primera about the same time as the regular DE, if I'm not mistaken. However, it was only an SR16VE. Notice most variable timing engines don't go over 2.0 liters?

Well the SR20VE is in the new Primera as well as this trippy super auto transmission with a 6 speed sequential shifter...it looks like. The auto shifter is pulled to the left and you can select up to six other gear settings. Crazy...

Also: Nissan is releasing the first ever out-of-factory variable timed engine with a TURBO: the SR20VET in something called the "X-Trail." www.freshalloy.com

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
the X-trail has actually been out for a little while now. I believe this is it's second year in production? There was a lot of debate about this motor on the SE-R mailing list about a year or so ago. It's a very interesting idea.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Fabius said:
we should never turn our back on our G's... an my question is where could i get me an sr20ve engine... i was thinkin about a sr20det but this VE seems to have potential
You know the VE in fact has potential and as of right now is quite unique in America if you do drop one in, but even so i think i would still go with the DET becuase it is going to respond to mods better then a N/A motor and for the setup i belive it would cost about as much as the VE. But with the DET you add a Intake and get like 20 hp....Just a thought if your seriously considering either or....

·
Registered
102 Posts
i have to agree with you all. i have got alot of looks in my *G* and it is such a great feeling we be riding in style

·
Registered
429 Posts
Right so

"It is better too look good, then too feel good"
Billy Crystal had a G20........

·
Registered
61 Posts
I still think the NA P11 is the best looking car on the road. It doesn't have the ugly egg-shape like so many cars these days, but still has that "well put-together European look". The same idiots that complain about the G20 looking bland always give high ratings to Camrys and Accords. I think one of the main reasons that the G20 is so underrated is because 85% of Americans equip them with autos and then complain how slow it is. Take away the 5-speed, and the car becomes boring. IMO, its actually pretty zippy with the 5-speed, especially when combined with the G's excellent handling. Bottom line: Equip it with a 5-speed, and you have one of the funnest cars to drive on the road today, plus the added luxuries that come with an Infiniti.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts