Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend I was supposed to camping but since the gasket between the turbo and manifold blew out I figured Id spend some time on the G. Id like to thank whomever put the turbo originally on the car for using only two nuts to hold the turbo on, kudos to you.

But, I digress and to keep it relatively short, here are some highlights:

The bad:
The wastegate actuator needed to be shifted about 2.5" back and about 1.5" foward from its stock location. That requires fabbing up a new bracket and making the arm longer. Luckily, I had a spare motor lying around to use for mock fitment and as it turns out, it wasnt that bad to make. I was concerned with the angle of the actuator but with some heat and muscle, once you have the general s curve of the bracket made, just bend it into position. Be sure to make the bracket and fit it properly prior to trying to make the arm. And remember the arm must have enough adjustment to allow for the proper preload (this being to the point of barely being able to get the arm onto the flapper hinge with everything bolted up tightly).

Next big fish to fry. Intercooler piping. I had a 90 degree welded onto the outlet from my turbo guy (thanks [email protected] TURBO) and it required a little inginuity to make it work. Im sure everyone whos tried to turbo one of these pigs has fought with IC piping and the motor mount. Well, my solution (or actually the guy who had it before me solution) screw the front motor mount. It isnt there and I didnt have another one around so we'll see how it goes. If I crack the bell housing or diff housing then Ill worry about it. But thatll just be an excuse to get an 00+ trans anyway. Really, if youre trying to do this on your own and dont have a welder, I wouldnt recommend trying it unless you wanna drop 200bux in couplers. If you do, you need 4 90 degree bends to make it to the FMIC. One of those 90s needs to be fitted into an S cuve and you are home free. The UIP is two 45s and 3 90's. I actually didnt fab up all the pipes yet since I was running outta time but 2.25 lower and 2.5 upper is gonna rock.

After all was installed, and the car hit the road, it was breaking up severly. I attributed this to lack of fuel so I installed a Supra pump, Nismo regulator and turned the pressure to 45psi. Still it broke up so all that was left was spark. now this part kinda gets to me cause everyone on here says the stock ignition is suited for whatever you can throw at it. Well let me clarify. THE STOCK IGNITION IS NOT SUITED FOR HIGH BOOST if you are trying to run colder plugs with a stock gap. I really would say an aftermarket ignition or at least a better coil would do our cars wonders with cars running 15psi+. And btw, all my ignition components minus the distributor itself are new! So moral of the story, I am running a gap of 25 on the plugs which is pretty low, but no more breaking up.

The good:

The car breaks the tires loose into third with ease. In combination with the S4's the cars top end is phenominal for a full weight car. It is definately a fun time and I am pretty happy with the results.

So ah, anyone wanna race? :naughty:

PS-If anyone is trying to run a similiar setup, dont be afraid to PM me. Dont feel like your only options are a t25/28 for ease of installation, the hardest part is what Ive already dealt with so just ask! And on that note thanks FREAKTROLL!!!! for youre pictures of your setup

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, sorry gang, I'll take some pics tonight. Ive been slacking!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
c'mon... I am "G"ealous...

nice work... I don't know when I will get my boost installed, but I am looking at a GT28RS AKA the Disco Potato.

How big is the GT2871R?

·
G20 OG
6,684 Posts
hamzter said:
c'mon... I am "G"ealous...

nice work... I don't know when I will get my boost installed, but I am looking at a GT28RS AKA the Disco Potato.

How big is the GT2871R?
its just slightly bigger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts