Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I can't decide which motor to get. I understand the differences and I am not looking to make my NA sr turbo.

My gut feeling is to go with the avenir engine because it came from an auto trans and more or less wasn't beat to hell. Gtir engine was made for performance and I'm a bit afraid of getting a beat to snot one. Share your experiences with these 2 engines.

Any help can't decide lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any experience with the vendors out your way in Jersey? I've researched a ton it and I think I would going with jdm engine zone for a gtir. Although jdm New York has a decent looking w11 for sale on eBay.

·
G20 OG
6,684 Posts
I got my old VE from the place in Kearny I believe. I dont remember if it was that one or the other in NJ. All my other motors were from another place in NJ that isn't around anymore. I plan on getting my Avenir from one of the two Jersey places

·
Registered
136 Posts
i say neither. If ur DE is healthy throw a t25 on it and be good.. Wit either motor u might want to do the bearings.. Don't forget these motors have been sitting for a while, plus its easier wit all the wires and sensors and cheaper to stay DE

·
Registered
946 Posts
How much HP are you shooting for?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
How much HP are you shooting for?
This.
I'm shooting for 450-500 daily driven at some point down the line so I started by building the bottom end on a GTi-R block. I'm a good $3500 away from that HP goal though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like I said, I'm not looking to turbo my DE. I come from a mitsu backround and having made serious power with a 35R I'm not messing with an NA block.

My goal is 500 hp. Car is not my daily driver.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Charles (Snickers) has safely run 500hp on a stock GTi-R block with S3M cams and GT30R (I think) turbo, and not sure what else was done. I imagine FMIC and exhaust at the very least. Stock rods can handle a lot more than the Avenir ones.
In other words, to get 500HP safely out of an Avenir motor would take a lot more modification of top and bottom end than it would on the GTi-R (54C).

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
If you really want 500hp then get the GTiR

GTiR
S3M cams
Gt30r or GT35R .82 housing
Tubular manifold
44mm wastegate atmosphere dump
Large intercooler
2 1/4" - 2 1/2" IC piping
3" exhaust
750-1000cc injectors
Z32 MAF

If you want to rev beyond 8000rpms then I would get some valve springs. Tomei, Jun, make dual drop in springs. The supertech 100lb seat VE springs will work too.

I had a setup very similar to the one above and I was above 500whp reliably and actually couldn't keep the tires sticking to the dyno. Would just burn out. I think I got 60,000 miles out of that setup. Full boost at 5000rpm

Biggest issue will be the trans. You will need a 00-02 p11 trans and a 6 puck unsprung and XTPp or a twin disk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great info. I am looking for a gtir motor, have to make some calls to these jdm vendors.

Snickers- I'm aware if these weak Nissan trans. I have a 6 speed on hand that I will be using:smoke:

On your setup- how did the engine react to timing vs. boost ? In my mitsu days I could get away with a ton of timing and 38psi on an forced performance 3582HTA obviously on race fuel, built motor. Also broke all 4 wheels loose on the dyno lol

Are the intake and exhaust ports large on a gtir head?

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
I had a jwt ecu and a Gtir ecu. Driveability and gas mileage was the best with jwt. But best power with the Gtir. I had a safc2 and corrected with that. I think I left base timing at 20*. I never really did any tuning other than minor fuel correction and left the timing where it was the happiest.

That setup I had ran awesome and made 450whp with a T04S and about 20-22psi. Later I swapped in a T67 and that was what broke 500whp. Above 22psi it would just burn the tires on the dyno.

Ports are good sized on the Gtir. I just got a good one And left it stock and it ran forever.

Just don't get the engine and decide that OEM is junk and tear it apart.

If you have a nice sized oil cooler and radiator and intercooler it should las a long time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So it looks like I am going vvl. I've contacted jdm star motors, they sent me a compression video and the engine ha 180psi in all 4. Now I have done some searching but can't find any real answers if 180psi is fine on a vvl..?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.