Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , I have a question for whoever has gone through a simmilar situation. I had both front cv boots replaced last week because they tore. I have new cv boots on there no but was driving with the torn ones for mabe up to a month prior becasue I wasn't aware what happened. My question is that the car started feeling a little rough right before I took it to get the cv boots replaced, and now that new ones are on , it still feels like it harder for it to go. Could the half shafts be damaged due to the lack of lubrication ? Some people I talked to said I should replace the half shafts at the same time as the boots but that seemed a little much if they were fine, but now I'm not sure. Well, let me know if anyone had a simmilar experience.
Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had a CV boot break a while back, and here's what I found out: You can run with a broken CV boot for a couple of days at the absolute most without damaging your CV joint. That's assuming you drive much at all. Though it's possible to run with a broken CV boot for several months, the half shaft must be replaced. Sorry to tell you this, but it looks like you're gonna have to go back to the shop. :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what would happen If I don't replace the half shafts ? Also, I plan to do a DET swap next summer, so if I get the motor with tranny and all, will the halfshafts fit my transmission ?

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you choose not to replace them, they'll keep getting progressively worse and eventually fail. When this happens, it's possible to do severe damage to your car depending where and how it fails. Driving on the interstate at 70mph is not the time for one of your CV joints to give out! :eek: As far as fitment goes, it depends on how the transmission your getting differs from the one you currently have. MT, AT, LSD?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts