Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was that all about? I hop in my car this morning, put my key in, turn the ignition and the damn thing took about a minute before it started!!! Actually I had to repeat the process more than once before it actually fired up!! What could that be??? Is it my battery? An air problem?? Fuel?? The starting was perfect until week or two, it started getting sluggish and it seemed that the power of the car got weak... I thought it was the air filter I had put with the adapter... So I replaced it back with the OE airbox... SAME CRAP!! Sluggish and idle drops were on me like I was a magnet! Then I thought about the battery... Still why would it get weak all of a sudden?? The car's been slow to start for just two weeks now, but this time it was bad cuz' it wouldn't fire up at all!!! ... someone... help....

By the way: I'm doing an engine swap in the upcoming weeks (getting my JDM engine this week-end) I plan on getting new Distributor Cap/Rotors, Head gasket, Spark plugs/Wires, Oil/Fuel/Air filters...and most likely a new Battery... . Does anyone know good brands at good prices and good places I could to get these things all together???? Anyone??

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No way...

Nah... This car hardly spends a day parked somewhere... I drive it pretty much everyday... so it couldn't be that... :-\

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...helllooo..

Please do not ignore this thread! It's important!! Read and share any knowledge you have!!! :-\

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Ummm...fuel pump? What have you tried, and what seems to help it work a little better, if at all?

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
....Mmmmhhh...

Two VERY important and interesting points you guys have there...

Ummm...fuel pump? What have you tried, and what seems to help it work a little better, if at all?
I haven't done anything yet about the problem... I posted it in order to get suggestions... But now that you've mentioned FUEL PUMP, I can recall hearing a ticking noise on the outside (my door was opened) around the fuel tank, when the ignition was struggling... When I heard it, I pointed my 'ears' towards it and thought that maybe the fuel wasn't even going to the engine, I 'pumped' the pedal... but it didn't really help... :-\
this may be another stupid question but are you using the factory recommended 5w30 oil or a heavier weight oil? If a heavier weight (ie 15w50) then that may be causing sluggish 'hard' starting.
It's funny you'd think it's a stupid question... I actually think it's a good one... I've been using 5w40 (heavier) oil because the reason why I'm doing the engine swap is because my current engine suffered Oil starvation at some point and the cams are knocking/rubbing metal-to-metal style... I thought that maybe Heavier oil would do more good as 'Lubrication' inside the engine than the regular 5w30... How ...heavy is 5w10 anyways??? Could that be the problem.,...? :eek:

Just to make it clear for everyone... This may look stupid but here we go anyways: What I mean by Sluggish/Hard start is this, when I turn the key... Instead of the car going:
HIN-HIN-HIN-VROOOOOMMMM!!
It goes:
HIN- HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-VROOOM!!
Get it???? HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-HIN-VROOOM!!
How's that for ... written... sound... :p Help!!

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hummmh..

I went to Autozone last night... returning a couple of things I didn't need... and asked the guy at the counter if I could get a bigger battery for my car, especially because of my new system and that power loss business!!... He told me that the problem could be my 'Alternator'... He told me that stock alternators are not made to deal with the kind of powers required by our hot systems (amps, subs, etc..)... He told maybe it's not spinning fast enough and I should get an aftermarket heavy-duty alternator at a specialty store... :-\ Any suggestions????

·
Registered
119 Posts
very true

ah yes the alternator....when you change anything on your car that effects the power supply, (i.e. amps for subs) it can easily fuck with the alternator...especially in an INFINITI....as for the oil, all I have to say is 5w-30 every 3000 miles....otherwise, you will have problems.

good luck
peace

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Fraychild said:
I plan on getting new Distributor Cap/Rotors, Head gasket, Spark plugs/Wires, Oil/Fuel/Air filters...and most likely a new Battery... . Does anyone know good brands at good prices and good places I could to get these things all together???? Anyone??
www.infinitipartsusa.com probably the best place to get the gear, and stay with the OEM items on which you just listed...thats the best way to go.

FF Drifter said:
Try the fuel filter too...just another shot here...

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Power Week-end!!

Alright, just to keep everyone updated!! It was my BATTERY!! :p
My positive connector was all f%$#* up and some 'greenish-acid residue-powder-looking-thing' was coming out of it and was F%$#@ing up the terminal!! I had to get a brand new "Die Hard - Silver" battery with 620 CCA (Cold Crank Amp) from Sears... What was shitty was that the highest CCA batteries they had for a 92' P10 was only 640 from their Gold category!! The battery that was originally in my car was a freakin' "Die Hard Silver 'Maintenance-Free'" with 700 CCA!! I asked them if they didn't have any of them, and they said they didn't carry that kind anymore!!! :-\ ... Oh well...:depressed: but now my 'Hard Start' problem is gone... :knockout:
I still think I should change my 'Alternator' at some point... but do you guys think I should replace with an OE one or what 'Specialty Store' do you know that would carry them???
I'll definitely check that site Yahnozha, Thanx a bundle!!
Also, I got my JDM engine this week-end!!! :lol: I'm a happy crook!! :bandit: I know now to ONLY use the good Ol' 5W-30 and I'll make it ALL synthetic!!! HE hE hE!!:p

Thanx again to all of your help!! I'll keep the updates on the swap!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts