Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The car takes about 10-15 seconds to start unless I press the gas slightly while cranking. If I press the gas slightly, it starts right up immediately.

The car starts fine when it is warm, but the longer it sits the longer it takes to start (even 2 hours).

Priming the fuel pump doesn't help.

This is what I have recently replaced to no avail.

Fuel Pump, Entire Dizzy, plug wires, fuel filter, injectors. Cleaned TB etc. NGK copper plugs @ .035.

I am not sure if its the air regulator. The car also starts its idle at 1500 rpm then works its way down to 850 or less, so I think the regulator is working somewhat correctly.

This is crazy!!

Seems like fuel...or maybe it is the air regulator??

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
jj94auto said:
If I press the gas slightly, it starts right up immediately
Just accept the fact that you have to press the accelerator pedal slightly when you start it. Individual cars do have their odd quirks ...... It stops & goes & it ain't Brand new .... so live with it

If it gets worse over the upcomming winter months we will have to re-access the situation.

wots the milage & age of this motor ? :beard:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:eek: like 80K miles

:throwup:

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
It allways been this way ?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
J..M said:
It allways been this way ?
No, its recently gotten worse.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
merlin said:
I don't know I might be on the wrong track...but how's the battery and the starter? Have you tested them?

Also how are the grounds, what about checking MAF grounding. You mentioned so many things you've already done, just trying to think outside the box!
I have regrounded the MAF. Battery and Starter, well I haven't had them checked. Battery is 12.5 vdc and 14 vdc when running.

You know what though. As the car does get warmer, the idle keeps moving lower and lower until its at 600 rpm, then the idle gets rougher and rougher.

I think the two may be related...maybe I really do need to pull that air regulator apart.

Going nuts here lol.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Try cleaning your throttle body. I believe the throttle body interior has two very small passages for air to go through when the plate is closed, and if they get clogged up it could cause the problem you're talking about.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have cleaned the throttle body a few times over, but I have never done it while it was removed from the car. I am going to tear it all up and clean it carefully over the weekend.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I took apart both IACV and cleaned them. Removed the plenum and all.

Car still doing this.

It smells like gas now when I try to start the car. Almost like its being flooded.

By the time I try to hunt down the source of the smell, the smell is gone and never ever comes back.

If I try to restart the car when it is warm, it will restart perfectly time after time.

I am awaiting a fuel pressure gauge.

I now have a brand new cap and rotor on the car as opposed to just ones in good condition. Brand new set of wires and new plugs that are gapped correctly.

Timing is correct.

The coolant temperature sensor by the oil filter's resistance tests ok.

Battery is almost new.

I am thinking of pulling the plenum AGAIN and just getting a new ARV. I didn't like the amount of opening that I saw when I froze it (after cleaning it up etc).

I am pulling my hair out (well I don't have any lol).

Doesn't seem like giving it a little gas is helping as much anymore.

I am worried that my remanufactured injectors O-rings are leaking or something.

Guess I won't be able to tell if its a fuel problem until the gauge arrives.

Any new thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I had my 01 Sentra, I had this problem and it turned out to be the MAF sensor... piece of crap cost almost $800 Canadian and could only be purchased from the dealer. It also idled rough, was worse when the engine was cold and my problem had gotten consistently worse so that even if I gave a little gas, the engine died and had to be restarted. Good luck...

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks, maybe I can get a used maf (that works) on this board or the loan of one for testing purposes..?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgot to mention that I changed that to.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I'll go check it.

BTW I brought the car to the mechanic yesterday as I am beginning to get annoyed.

So the car started perfect everytime of course. I mean right away, even when it was cold.

I'd like to add that this is a thermal problem. It was in the 70's yesterday. I went outside later last night when it was 55 out and the car was cold, and the car acted the same way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts