Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I don't really want to buy a new head unit, so I'm trying to figure out all of my options before I end up doing it. I want to hardwire my ipod into my head unit. I've seen a lot of people do it in p11s, but I can't seem to find anything about p10s.

Anyone know anything?

Thanks
Ksax

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I just saw a link for a P-10 radio to which someone had added a miniplug adapter for an ipod. I believe it was here and pointed to an eBay item, but I can't find it now. It was the old 94-96 head unit with a wire dropping down with the socket for the ipod. While it may be true that there is not a direct plug-n-play option for connecting the ipod, there has to be a way to tap into the preamp in the unit to solder in a mini plug socket. I believe if you searched here long and hard, you'd find a How-to.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Actually I think there might be a way and this is why...

This is my setup in my whip. The previous owner said that when he bought the car in 95' CD players weren't standard and he wanted the option to listen to his older cassette tapes and this is what the dealership did. CD player and tape deck down in the bottom which typically a empty storage slot. So in my car when I pop a tape in it automatically overrides whatever the CD/Radio is doing and plays the tape maintaining the volume, bass, etc. etc. controls still working on the top deck. The top CD deck looks like a regular stock G20 CD player with no button for external "tape" deck which makes me believe there must be a "aux" line input and a "aux" trigger/switch in the factory wiring to the CD player HU (at least in mine). I would have to take a look back there to see how its doing it but technically you get it right?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I've been using a tape player adapter (looks like a dummy cassette tape with a wire out)on my P-11 for my Shuffle, which works well for me, but then I'm hearing impaired so it could be hissing like crazy and I wouldn't hear it.

It would seem, if you have a dealer installed cassette deck on a P-10, that there is a way to plug directly into the head unit. Iirc, there is a Phillips socket on the back of the head unit??

·
brave little...
2,648 Posts
you can test the wires on the cassette to see which ones are the audio and which one switches and overrides sound.

try getting a AA or AAA battery with two pieces of wire. strip the wire about a 1/4 inch and put the exposed side on the battery + and another piece of wire on the - use electrical tape to hold the wires on there and now you have a legit speaker tester.

use the positive and negative to test some wires. use the process of elimination to figure it out. start on one side with one wire and touch every wire to see if you hear a "pop" or static sound coming out of the speakers, if nothing go the next wire and test all the wires again with that wire. the voltage on the battery is small enough that you wont blow any fuses or cause any problems.

always hold the negative wire the the wire you are testing and the positive just touch the potential wire for a second, too much time will cause the voice coil to heat up and not work probably.

as for the wire that overrides the sound from the cd player, your going to have to test that too. you can pull your dash apart, get a multimeter and test everywire when you put in a tape, to see which wire sends a signal to the deck telling it to play the tape instead. it will probaly be a constant signal while the tape is playing or you will only see voltage pass through when the tape is first insearted and then nothing. if its the later of the two then you will have to wire up a relay and junk to get it to work, any car stereo joint could do it if you dont know how. but that = more $spend

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, these must be newer setups than what I have...

...there must be a "aux" line input and a "aux" trigger/switch in the factory wiring to the CD player HU (at least in mine).
yea, I would love it if I knew which one it was w/o having to dig too much.
I just have the stock radio/cassette player:

I guess I'll have to do what iamthejae said...

I don't know if its possible, but I saw a set up in a VW one time where the person put their ipod into the cassette slot. they had a second head unit that had ipod capabilities, but I'm curious if I can get a setup like that in the g w/o getting a second head unit.

Anyways, does anyone know what that second input port is? I know the one on the left is for the antenna, but what's the black one for?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
That's the Phillips connector I was talking about. If you had a wiring diag you might be able to figure out the contacts, get a plug from Radio Shack, wire it to a miniplug socket, and you'd be in business.

BTW, if you've got the cassette player, why not just use the dummy cassette tape/output adapter?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my experience with them is that they are really inconsistent. my friend has one in his celica and it is has pretty crappy sound quality, yet i know someone else that uses it in her camry and it apparently is pretty good. so I'm not sure how it will sound in the g. I guess I need to go borrow it from one of them and see what its like.

o.k. i guess a day of research is in order then.

thanks again for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts