Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Custom Door Interiors Progress - Have you tried this?

hey,

I dont know if the door interiors on the G20 ar the same as the primera but in the centre of the interior is a section of fabric...

has anyone removed this to see what is behind it. I want to replace the fabric with carbon fibre and I'm not sure if the carbon fibre will stick over the fabric or if I should cut the fabric out first, but obviously i dont want to cut it out if there is lumps and bumps everywhere!!!

Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess not then!!!

if only i could find a door interior at a scrap yard!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Kev, do you mean the door cards? If so I believe that behing the fabric is just bare plastic - thought there will be some glue to scrape away. I've thought of doing this myself but had always wondered what to replace the fabric with - carbon fibre sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
If you track down a primera at a scrap yard then please let me know - there are some other interior trim parts I'm desperate to get hold of.

Cheers

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no probs mate,

I'm just going down to larkspeed to pick up some blue carbon fibre look sheeting (my car is blue so hopefully it will kinda match), if it doesnt stick to the fabric I'll just take the plunge and cut out the fabric. I new drivers door interior anyway because the previous owner did the worst stick on repair job and its really scratched so it doesnt matter too much as I will eventually have to replce it..... The Carbon fibre sheeting comes in a size that is just big enough (i think) to do all four door fabrics and will set you back about £35. I'm also going to spray the door grab handles and the speaker covers silver for a bit of contrast and eventualyl do the whole dash if I can be arsed, I'll post pics with progress.

Likewise, if you find a primera in a scrap yard I need a drivers door interior.

stay in touch mate.

Kev

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol,

right, I have removed the door panel and stripped off the material, The foam beneath it is mega bonded to the plastic so I am currently trying to scrape it off with a blunt kitchen knife.

Error number 1: I've already put a small scratch on the good bit of the panel, lucky this is a tester. *note* take extra care when scraping.

I'll post more news as it happens

Kev

oh yeah, the guy at the shop gave me the wrong stuff so its thicker than I wanted, although this might benifit me in the long run as the backing isnt perfectly smooth. we shall see

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well its on!!

some quick lessons to be learned.

Use the thinnest stuff you can, The stuff I got is too thick.

Make sure you have a hair dryer to hand which I did not.

Cut out a template first so you dont have to manually cut it out as you go

Make sure you have a clamp handy for the curved bits

ah well such is life..... I know how to make it easier next time. I will post pics tomorrow if I can when I get the door back on, or I will maybe wait until I have sprayed the bits silver... your probably not interested anyway lol

Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
29 Posts
Kev,
The film you used, was it real carbon fibre or the immitation stuff? Just wondered, 'cos I'm thinking of getting some of the real stuff to have a go with - and want to know if it's easy or not.

Maybe I'll wait to see your pics first!!

Greg

(In the meantime.....off to buy Revs maybe...)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no,

Mine was the fake stuff, no way I am trying it with real stuff until I'm sure it can be done with ease. Make sure you get the thinnest stuff you can tho because the stuff I got was thick and it doesnt stretch properly to cover the middle curve!!

but all in all its looking ok.... a bit wacky but ok!

I will post a pic of the finished article (although there are several huge mistakes lol)

I have learned a few lessons and will post a how to on exactly what you need to do when I do it for real. I still have to spray the handle and speaker cover silver but I will post a pic for you when its done.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol,

sods law has rissen its ugly head again,

I've got it Finished and my camera has run out of batteries!!!

I'm going to my girlfriends now but I will post you a pic taken with her camera over the weekend if I can...

Failing that I will post one on monday!!

hopefully it will be worth the wait!!

Kev.

P.S
as a test its pretty good, I think I can make a 30% improvement now I know what I am doing. hehe

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as promised I posted a few pics of the finished article. They are on a seperate thread.

Kev

1 - 11 of 11 Posts