Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a shop that I take my G to that I trust. But I've been having some recurrent AC issues that are making me wonder. The first time I took it in, they converted from r12 to r134, evaced the system and recharged. Everything worked fine for 5 days. It stops, I take it back and a compressor seal has blown causing a big leak. So now I have to get the compressor changed out. I got a whole used system from davew7 (thanks Dave!) and a brand new dehydrator from Justin. They put in the compressor and dehydrator, evaced the system and now the condensor is leaking. Why that all of the sudden. I still have the extra but it was pretty beat so we'll see Mon. How common is this for each part to break individually? My $250 AC repair is quickly ballooning to $500+

·
Registered
862 Posts
the is an oriface that needs to be changed to convert to r134 in most cars. this may be the cause of your pressure problems.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am certified in ac systems the usual cause for something like the first incedent he could of over charged which cause the compressor to go. usually there are safety switches for over pressuring. Most likely the compressor was just beat from being old. ac systems are funky . Like mattb said make sur all o-rings have been replaced. If you were closer to NH i could help you out.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Parts get old. My AC was working perfectly when I bought my car over 2 years ago. Since then I have changed out the compressor, the seals and gave it a charge. I would doubt he is shady sometimes things just go bad.

OT: Nice car Justin! Good to see a fellow NH g owner!

Mike

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll see if they can do that - change the o-rings, that is. I know things get old and break, I mean it is 14 y.o. I've had the car in now 3 times for A/C work and each time they "fix" it only for something else to go wrong. I'd thought about the pressure thing, I thought r134 had to be a a different pressure than r12 because of the density difference. They thought that that may have caused the seal to rupture since it was already on its last legs. But the condensor was fine the first two times I had it worked on- it held pressure and didn't leak.
Bad luck I guess. I'll call them Mon afternoon and see what the verdict is.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
All '92 g20's are R12, I had my old G20 converted in the past as well.

Lemme ask guys, whats the prices for the evac and recharge average?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
P11jdnkola27 said:
the average is 120 for a rechatge.... thanks Mike what par of Nh you in
Damn 120, only becuase im gonna swap in a used compressor. Do you think it will be wise when I swap in a used compressor to just get a oil/freon recharge can from autozone, instead of vaccuum and refilling.... :shhh:

I just dont wanna pay $120 for a recharge, with a used compressor that might take a sh*t on me a year or less later. What ever u think is the best route to go, ill be taking btw. =)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this same issue on a 95g20t, first the high pressure hose replaced and a week later the dealer says the condensor was bad. I put up a fight and it seemed they had torqued too hard on the fitting (the lines can crack easily) they covered the part, I paid labor.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Overall!

I must say do it right the first time and get the pros to do the work... I guess $120 aint that bad after all. I wanna be cool this summer. =)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts