Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm new to the group, I joined to see what problems people are having with their G20's. Right now I drive a Auto 96 Max, but in a few months I plan on buying a newer car because I will be going to school across the country and need to drive there plus its time for a new car :p, and I have always loved the P11 (I guess 99-02). Also I wanted to know what to watch for when looking at cars for sale, I know the basics CEL, and things like that, but I mean specifically for G20's.. I am only looking at 5-Speeds if that helps someone. Thanks guys, any input would be greatly appreciated! Right now I'm in love with the sport editions! :naughty:
Anyways
Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
our engine is infamous for shitty starters. 100k miles and youre bound to run into a dieing one. good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i have a 92 g20 and it runs like it is brand new. havent had any problems with it other than the ones i have caused. if anything does go wrong with your g20, i can almost guarentee that someone here knows how to fix it. good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ChickenWing said:
our engine is infamous for shitty starters. 100k miles and youre bound to run into a dieing one. good luck with your search.
haha thanks, it must be a Nissan thing, since my Max's starter went out at 65k!

dcmystery21 said:
i have a 92 g20 and it runs like it is brand new. havent had any problems with it other than the ones i have caused. if anything does go wrong with your g20, i can almost guarentee that someone here knows how to fix it. good luck!
Awesome, its the same engine right? Or has it changed from year to year?

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's the same engine code (SR20DE) but it's slightly tweaked from year to year.

I'm still relatively new to the G20 world myself, but something about the 1991 intake cams are supposed to be better performance-wise than the later ones, the 2000+ has a tad more HP and shorter 1st and 2nd gears, probably some other stuff.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Its like everyting else...... If you abuse your motor & don't maintain it properly. O'course its gonna be a pig ........... Look after it & it'll look after you :beard:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I've got a 92 also about to hit 141k and it still running like a baby, and its with the original engine...but not for long :p

Rob

·
Registered
304 Posts
My 2000 G20 (i just realized it wasnt a 1999) was $10K w/ 53k miles around 3 years ago... dunno how much it would be now. After about a year or so, the starter became shaky... then ultimately died. Then the dealership replaced it for free, even though my warranty was expired.

Before i bought the car, i drove it to an infiniti dealership. They checked it out for free, and let me know little specifics about the car, like how the brake pads werent OEM and how there were hairline cracks on the corner lens.

Other than that, I havent had any problems since.

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
The starter is definately a weak point, and the motor mounts only seem to last about 80K but other than that it's a great car. When I traded my P10 in it had over 170K on the odometer.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
SgtDGun said:
seems like the fuel injectors, egr system, Idle air control, and cranks sensor are common failures.
Those are mostly problems on the P10s because they are higher-miles. I think the starter is the only real trouble spot on the P11s unless they have unusually high miles. I do agree about the sludge though -- although it's only a problem if the previous owner(s) neglected the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, so look for sludge, and listen to the starter when I test drive? Anything I should look for when shifting? Never owned a 5 speed so is there anything I should feel for? Hey ILikeMyRiceSpicy how did you get your starter replaced for free?

·
Registered
233 Posts
ILikeMyRiceSpicy said:
My 2000 G20 (i just realized it wasnt a 1999) was $10K w/ 53k miles around 3 years ago... dunno how much it would be now. After about a year or so, the starter became shaky... then ultimately died. Then the dealership replaced it for free, even though my warranty was expired.

Before i bought the car, i drove it to an infiniti dealership. They checked it out for free, and let me know little specifics about the car, like how the brake pads werent OEM and how there were hairline cracks on the corner lens.

Other than that, I havent had any problems since.

Cheers.
I called dealerships in the area and they said they'd charge me $100 to check it out. :mad:

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Jellyfishian said:
Anything I should look for when shifting? Never owned a 5 speed so is there anything I should feel for?
The P10s had an issue with 5th gear pop-out but the P11s don't seem to have that problem. Check how the clutch feels though -- you don't want to have to replace that (or pay to have it replaced) immediately after you get the car.

·
Registered
304 Posts
JustAnotherG20 said:
I called dealerships in the area and they said they'd charge me $100 to check it out. :mad:
That sucks. Say you'll take it to them for service if they do it for you, then never come back :naughty:

Edit: you're from san francisco. the dealership that checked it out for me was serramonte infiniti. Tell them your friend got his infiniti checked out there and referred you to them. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts