Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best/cheapest/easiest/cleanest way to get HD radio into my 2000 G20t?

Since "HD" is too short for the forum search, it makes it hard to find any threads...

·
♥
3,947 Posts
there are tons of hd radio head units available, buy one, and install it. its all personall preference, and how much you wanna spend.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think HD radio is too new. I haven't seen any threads about anyone installing one. I guess you'll be the first, so take lots of notes and do a good write up for those to come after you!

·
WCMIII/SR2012 FLAKER
5,201 Posts
my kenwood unit is HD & its sounded better in my last p10, coz my current p10t has no antena so it depends in the area (for strong radio signal) where your at.

LoSt said:
I think HD radio is too new. I haven't seen any threads about anyone installing one. I guess you'll be the first, so take lots of notes and do a good write up for those to come after you!
ya, that hd radio thing is still kinda new but its been in the market for quite awhile now, & one doesnt really hear ppls saying about installing/having hd-radio in there cars too.

Also, for whoever installs a hd radio headunit in there car, make sure you also upgrade to better speakers. I upgraded to the pioneer's best speaker, well actually is their 2nd best speaker after their "Premier" series, & it sounds great, but will sound much much better if I replaced the antena on my p10t.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cesarin_se-r said:
my kenwood unit is HD & its sounded better in my last p10, coz my current p10t has no antena so it depends in the area (for strong radio signal) where your at.

ya, that hd radio thing is still kinda new but its been in the market for quite awhile now, & one doesnt really hear ppls saying about installing/having hd-radio in there cars too.

Also, for whoever installs a hd radio headunit in there car, make sure you also upgrade to better speakers. I upgraded to the pioneer's best speaker, well actually is their 2nd best speaker after their "Premier" series, & it sounds great, but will sound much much better if I replaced the antena on my p10t.
well I really only read a couple of posts, but I saw something about needing to bypass the amp or something if I buy a new HU
...anyway, I have a p11, so does ur advice apply to me too

I live in Los Angeles, so I assume HD is pretty good here

·
WCMIII/SR2012 FLAKER
5,201 Posts
Royal2000H said:
well I really only read a couple of posts, but I saw something about needing to bypass the amp or something if I buy a new HU
...anyway, I have a p11, so does ur advice apply to me too

I live in Los Angeles, so I assume HD is pretty good here
Im in LA too (inglewood/so. bay area) & it works good, but I work outta orange county though & depending where in Santa Ana im in, the freaquencies sound shitty & thats with a proper working antena, & since ive been lazy to replace my antena on my p10t it really sounds shitty.

Good luck on youe install Royal, & dont forget to take pics & notes so you can do a Wright-Up for the rest of the members that wanna install HD-radio on their G's too...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
275 Posts
im a mobile installer for best buy and we carry hd units...but i have not been informed much about them, now as far as i know the headunit itself is not HD there is a seperate tuner box needed to recieve the HD signals...this is just what I heard...

And as far as bypassing the amp, just buy a harness for a p11 and hook all the wires up, including the factory amp turn on wire and 95% of the time it will work...if the speakers sound all crazy and distorted then you have to by pass the amp...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
whoknows said:
im a mobile installer for best buy and we carry hd units...but i have not been informed much about them, now as far as i know the headunit itself is not HD there is a seperate tuner box needed to recieve the HD signals...this is just what I heard...
Most aftermarket headunits that support HD radio require a separate tuner box to use it. Personally, I would recommend spending the $$ on a Satellite Radio unit, rather than HD FM radio. :lick:

And as far as bypassing the amp, just buy a harness for a p11 and hook all the wires up, including the factory amp turn on wire and 95% of the time it will work...if the speakers sound all crazy and distorted then you have to by pass the amp...[/QUOTE]

Please don't do this. I was a professional 12v installer for a long time, and your speakers will sounds like garbage. Your going to amplify and already amplified speaker, which will then distort and eventually blow. Plus, aftermarket radios and speakets are 4OHM. The Bose speakers in your P11 are not 4ohms... change the headunit, speakers and get rid of the factory amp all at the same time. :shifty:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Please don't do this. I was a professional 12v installer for a long time, and your speakers will sounds like garbage. Your going to amplify and already amplified speaker, which will then distort and eventually blow. Plus, aftermarket radios and speakets are 4OHM. The Bose speakers in your P11 are not 4ohms... change the headunit, speakers and get rid of the factory amp all at the same time. :shifty:

well i recomened this because it works. as far as blowing the speakers i have never had a problem with it, but yes you might as well by pass the amp, only takes a lil more time

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
whoknows said:
well i recomened this because it works. as far as blowing the speakers i have never had a problem with it, but yes you might as well by pass the amp, only takes a lil more time
I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm just saying that I wouldn't do it. A little more work will get you a lot better sound.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so you're saying...
If I get a new HU, it is already amping it as much as the old bose HU + amp did
so basically, you're saying change everything (HU + amp + speakers)
how much does a whole new system cost.... i dont want shit quality, but i also dont want to spend $1000 (call me cheap, but I dont live in my car)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Royal2000H said:
so you're saying...
If I get a new HU, it is already amping it as much as the old bose HU + amp did
so basically, you're saying change everything (HU + amp + speakers)
how much does a whole new system cost.... i dont want shit quality, but i also dont want to spend $1000 (call me cheap, but I dont live in my car)
Yes - that's it exactly. You can get a good sound for MUCH less than 1000 bucks. What's your realistic budget? I'm getting the Sony MEC BT5000 because it's the only deck on the market that I can stream STEREO bluetooth through. I can get it to connect to my cellphone and play songs from it directly while it's plugged into the car charger and I'm not killing the batteries.

It's going to set me back about 275 bucks shipped. For another 200 bucks, you can get pretty good speakers to put in the stock locations and have a system that sounds (much) better than the stock one and is far more flexible when it comes to adding things like XM or iPods on.

I don't think it does HD, but it was more for illustration than a direct recommendation. Figure 500 bucks and you'll blow away the factory setup. (and lose the crappy amps and have more trunk space!)

If at some point in the future, you decide to add an amplifer(s) and sub to your setup, you can always do so. Fun stuff. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts