Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at head units for my G at Cartoys and the salesman told me that a new CD player wouldn't amplify the interior speakers. He said I would have to get all new interior speakers. I need some input on this. And one more thing, I'm not too audio inclined so what do you call the speakers inside so I can stop calling them interior speakers?

·
Registered
50 Posts
interior speakers

Before i joined the navy i worked for a car audio shop for three years. you can view it at www.car-fi.com. I have a 96 g20 with an alpine head unit and i am using the factory speakers. all you need to do is bypass the internal amps. mine are located underneath the back deck in the trunk. now I do have a aftermarket amp on the factorys because with my jl15 w3 the bass is too overpowering for just the head-unit power. even though you see ratings on head-units of 60x4, 45x4 even on realiable brands such as alpine, kenwood, etc. that is peak power, you are really only getting 12-16 watts continous. I have a small two channel amp that will run your mids and highs (the same one i have in my car) that i would sell if you are intrested. as for what they are called (spkrs) you can refer to them as fronts & rears or you probally have a componet set up front (which is a mid driver and a tweeter) and in the back either 6 1/2 or 6x9's. If you have any more questions you can e-mail me or call the store at 417-882-5511. ask for jerome or jay and tell them you got their name from brandon kern. Jay was ranked the 11th installer in the nation for 3 years and jerome is my best friend. neither will lie to you and if you want to purchase something they will ship it to you and cut you a good deal if you mention my name. I am in pensacola, fl and they are located in springfield, mo so when or if you call please tell them hi from me. Jerome has thurs off and jay usually the same. any ?'s just ask.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mista McCoilover said:
I was looking at head units for my G at Cartoys and the salesman told me that a new CD player wouldn't amplify the interior speakers. He said I would have to get all new interior speakers. I need some input on this. And one more thing, I'm not too audio inclined so what do you call the speakers inside so I can stop calling them interior speakers?
The guy that told you this is half correct. The new HU will make the speakers slightly louder, but your distortion rate will also rise. This is also in most cars. When the factory puts together your radio, they tune it to work within itself.....ie: your HU controls your amp which is tuned for your STOCK speakers. When bypassing the factory amp, you are also changing the frequency the speakers get.

In turn, for cleaner sound you would change you speakers and/or add an amp to them. An aftermarket amp will give you more flexibility on crossover points. Then making the speakers see the close to correct "tuning" they need.

The cheaper/ easier way is to just change your speakers with the new HU. The salesman that you dealt with was basically leading you in the right direction, just without the explanation of it.

Hope this helps.

--Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts