Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..

Okay.. its week two of ownership of my '95 G20. Heres what happened.. Ive been driving the car for about 2 hours.. and i parked the car.. [engine still running] and was removing things from the trunk.. when i ask my brother.. do you smell something sweet? we look at each other and smelt the exhaust again.. and sure enough.. you smell a hint of prestone comming from the exhaust.. anyone have any clues? is my headgasket blown? The car doesnt smoke anymore than usual.. any way to check to see if it really is the head gasket? The engine light has come on again.. the dealership just replaced the entire exhaust system.. and i have a cat on order.. so the check engine light is on now..

Thanks..
Bernard

·
Registered
20 Posts
95p10 said:
Hi all..

Okay.. its week two of ownership of my '95 G20. Heres what happened.. Ive been driving the car for about 2 hours.. and i parked the car.. [engine still running] and was removing things from the trunk.. when i ask my brother.. do you smell something sweet? we look at each other and smelt the exhaust again.. and sure enough.. you smell a hint of prestone comming from the exhaust.. anyone have any clues? is my headgasket blown? The car doesnt smoke anymore than usual.. any way to check to see if it really is the head gasket? The engine light has come on again.. the dealership just replaced the entire exhaust system.. and i have a cat on order.. so the check engine light is on now..

Thanks..
Bernard
get someone to revv the car up to 5k and then let off the gas and check for white smoke out of the exhaust. check your coolant overflow tank to see if your car is drinking coolant. dont be too mad, i blew my engine 3 days after i bought my car and i still dont have it back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oKay.. rev it to 5k and let go and check for more white smoke? the weather up here is cold.. so it would be normal to see white smoke come out the exhaust.. am i too look for more than usual white smoke? i filled up the overflow tank two days ago with the motor hot. so it was at the full time in the bottle. Checked it yesterday and it was at half.. so i filled it up with coolent again, this time the engine was stone cold. and ran the motor till the rad fans came on, occasionally reving and maintaining 2-3k for a minute or two to accelerate the heat up proccess. Rad fan kicked in.. and went to check exhaust. It isnt as bad as the night prior, but you can still get a hint of Prestone. Could this be why the O2 sensor keeps going off? and why the cars running rich all the time? im going to check the coolant level now.

The over flow was full cold, and as the car ran it went up 1/4 over the full mark. Im going to check where it is now. If it is less than full.. am i to assume the HeadGasket is toast?

Thanks
Bernard

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
95p10 said:
The over flow was full cold, and as the car ran it went up 1/4 over the full mark. Im going to check where it is now. If it is less than full.. am i to assume the HeadGasket is toast?

Thanks
Bernard
Unfortunately, that is a pretty good assumption. :*(

Also, check your oil. Check to see if it smells like antifreeze as well. That would finalize your assumption.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay.. checked the coolant level this morning. Its 1/4 below the full mark. Things arent looking good. I talked to the dealer. They are going to check things out. If its going to be overly expensive im going to give the car back and pick something else up. To bad. i really love this car. but in the span of two weeks ive had to replace the o2 sensor. the entire exhaust system, new cat, and the tach doesnt work, the shifter vibrates in 5th and well.. im tired of having to bring the car back everyweek, each time with something else going. I'll see what they have to say about the coolant thing. man.. and i just started financing this thing as of the 8th of march.. so im stuck with this 11.000 dollar finance for the next 3 years potentially driving a lesser car ;o(

Bernard

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
95p10 said:
so im stuck with this 11.000 dollar finance for the next 3 years potentially driving a lesser car ;o(

Bernard
$ 11,000 for a '95. Give it back now!!!!! That is not right. I got my '96 loaded w/leather and 5-speed, only 42K on the odometer for less than $9k last March! Nothing replaced except the stuff I wanted to replace, oh and the clutch.

STEALERSHIP! By from a personal owner if at all possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry.. thats 11.000 *canadian* so.. $6936 USD.. cars got 174.000km on it.. i know.. perhaps i should have waited.. ;o(

Bernard

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
if you smell a sweet smell, it's not oil it is coolant, and it could be from a blown head gasket, but you might want to check your hoses to your radiator. it might be leaking a little, and you would still smell the smell from the coolant burning off of the hot engine. but if your head gasket is blown, you will see smoke out of your tail pipe.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Drain your oil

If you have any antifreeze in there u better take that badboy back

·
Registered
476 Posts
the longer you wait the more probs you'll have. antifreeze will eat up your motor so don't wait too long to have it fixed or make the decision to give it back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts