Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there, i had a question about my headlights, it seems that they are covered in what seems to be a hazey couldyness. it feels to the touch like its on the outside, but no matter how hard i clean its still there.. if it got on the inside of the lamp, is it cleanable? it makes my headlights seem so dim, and its frusterating the crap out of me.

Ps. also was thinking of attempting the DIY Stealth headlights mod, so would i be able to clean it up while its open?

·
Registered
504 Posts
The haze you speak of could very well be on the inside of the headlight lens, but even rigorous cleaning might not get rid of it if it's on the outside. My headlights are still mostly clear and haze free - but they were scratched up pretty bad. It was really only visible at night with the headlights on, and I doubt it had a drastic effect on the brightness - but I bought some of Meguiar's PlastX cleaner, and it was able to minimize the scratches. The bottle says that it works well to remove cloudiness and haze as well, so you might give it a shot. The guy at AutoZone recommended a similar product from 3M, but they were out, so I just went with Meguiar's. It's essentially a micro-abraisive rubbing compound for clear plastics.

If you do decide to crack open the headlights, then you could definitely use this stuff on the inside of the lens, too.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thankyou! ill defiantly check that stuff out, 3M 9 outa 10 makes quality stuff, as well as meguiars. i belive i will defiantly be opening them up, the more i look at the '02 lights the more i like them.

on a side note, anyone know what causes that foggy film to get there? if it happend once, id like to try and prevent it from happenig again.

Thankers.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Jaded_Panda said:
...ill defiantly check that stuff out...
That's an awesome quote. :smile: It might just go in my signature.

Jaded_Panda said:
...anyone know what causes that foggy film to get there?
It's either a combination of moisture/sun/ozone/pollutant damage to the plastic, or the underpants gnomes - I haven't figured out which.

·
♥
3,947 Posts
Jaded_Panda said:
on a side note, anyone know what causes that foggy film to get there?
on the exterior the sun degrades the plastic, and then dirt makes the swirlys for ya...(easy fix with a buffer and compund)

the inside will obtain moisture spots if its not sealed properly.(wipe it out and seal it up good)

·
Registered
504 Posts
As a caveat, however, it's important to realize that the success of PlastX or any other similar product is based on how deep the oxidation extends into the plastic. If the oxidation is just a surface issue, then most polishing compounds should do the trick. If the oxidation has reached deeper into the lens, however, either sanding of the plastic is in order, or just complete replacement of the lens. I don't know how old your car is, but I'd assume if it's fairly new then PlastX or the 3M stuff should work.

Plastic Restoration Kits (For deep oxidation issues, explains why surface treatments might not work)

·
Registered
504 Posts
UncleShasta said:
i remember seeing a DIY...
The PlastX worked pretty well on my headlights, but I've still got some scratches and a few small patches of haze - they look much better, but it wasn't a complete fix. The thread you posted seems very promising - the combination of a stronger abraisive for the first step and actually using a buffer instead of elbow grease should be much more effective. I'd like to try it, but the thing that concerns me is that if you buff too deep into the lens, you might run the risk of removing the most protective outer coating/layer - which could hasten the return of future oxidation. I'll probably do something similar someday - but I'd like to see what the buffed headlights look like in a few years. I guess if all you had to do was use some PlastX every few washes to keep up with protecting the plastic, then that'd be alright.

·
Registered
504 Posts
cavern said:
Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish.

You think I'm kidding, but for how cheap it is, it gets all the grit out too...

- Jon
My aversion to this process is that it seems too abraisive. The plastic on headlights is sealed with a clear "top coat" that protects the plastic underneath from scratches and UV damage. It isn't especially thick, and ironically, it usually is what becomes cloudy or hazy (at least initially, it is on the outside after all). If you buff the headlights too drastically, you can remove this outer coating and expose the fresh plastic, which will look great for a while, but without any protection, it will weather faster than before.

If we could see some of these buffed headlights 5 or more years down the road, they might be really hazy without continual upkeep. Mag and Aluminum polish works so well because it is more abraisive than PlastX , 3M, or any other plastic polish. I just don't want to strip my headlights of the outer layer prematurely.

Right now, my headlights are 99% clear - the main problem is some lateral scratches that appear to be from some previous owner's overzealous cleaning attempts (probably trying to remove some really baked on bugs or something).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts