Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running a heavier clutch than OEM on their 5 speed?

I am looking at going with a more performance oriented clutch when I need to change the OEM one.

Couple of questions:

1. does it take some getting use to?
2. do you like it?
3. how much different is it from stock?

thanks

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Just a thought.. I used to run an ACT on my turbo Sentra (it was also my DD). I will say that never again will I get a heavy clutch! I hated it with a passion! It was too heavy and sitting in traffic sucked ass.

Now the JWT clutch I had before hand in the same car was great (while it was na). It had a light pedal feel and held up good to my abuse. If I could do it all again I would stick with the JWT and replace the disk with a better one. Mind you this was 5+ years ago. I know JWT makes a few more clutch set-ups now and they are all supposed to have good pedal feel while being able to hold a lot more power than they used to.

Mike

hamzter said:
Anyone running a heavier clutch than OEM on their 5 speed?

I am looking at going with a more performance oriented clutch when I need to change the OEM one.

Couple of questions:

1. does it take some getting use to?
2. do you like it?
3. how much different is it from stock?

thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JWT... I will definitely have to keep that on the list... They make such good stuff...

·
Prince of Joy
4,614 Posts
Mark... I wouldnt recommend going with a really heavy duty clutch with a stiff pedal feel (a la ACT) in your car. Youve got a cable tranny and the weaker P10 bell housing too. If it were me, I'd only go with the JWT performance clutch. It has a long engagement and a very soft pedal feel, but it is very gentle on transmissions and has tons of grab. The JWT PP will support well into the high 200's if not 300 whp. Just match an appropriate disc to it (either the ACT SS disc or the JWT 1-side metal disc for high power, or just a 2000 SE disc for <220 whp).

On a P11 I really like the ACT HD PP, but it has the luxury of hydraulics and a stronger transmission case to sway the decision over JWT's PP.

- Greg -

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
That's the HP Capclutch which is a Daikin cover and plate Greg, do you think that's too heavy duty ?? It's supposed to hold approx 221 lb-ft of torque.

It only cost me about £95 inc postage iirc it was fitted to an Almera then removed because they couldn't adjust it correctly...

·
Prince of Joy
4,614 Posts
markbuts3 said:
That's the HP Capclutch which is a Daikin cover and plate Greg, do you think that's too heavy duty ?? It's supposed to hold approx 221 lb-ft of torque.

It only cost me about £95 inc postage iirc it was fitted to an Almera then removed because they couldn't adjust it correctly...
I dunno Mark.. won't know till you try it I guess. The fingers look pretty beefy, similar to the ACT HD. The ACT HD is quite stiff on a cable clutch, and the XT is downright annoying. However the ACT HD on a hydraulic setup is quite nice. Of course, thats my opinion -- you might disagree after you try it ;)

- Greg -

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MrFancypants said:
Mark... I wouldnt recommend going with a really heavy duty clutch with a stiff pedal feel (a la ACT) in your car. Youve got a cable tranny and the weaker P10 bell housing too. If it were me, I'd only go with the JWT performance clutch. It has a long engagement and a very soft pedal feel, but it is very gentle on transmissions and has tons of grab. The JWT PP will support well into the high 200's if not 300 whp. Just match an appropriate disc to it (either the ACT SS disc or the JWT 1-side metal disc for high power, or just a 2000 SE disc for <220 whp).

On a P11 I really like the ACT HD PP, but it has the luxury of hydraulics and a stronger transmission case to sway the decision over JWT's PP.

- Greg -
You're right... and you would know since you rebuilt my tranny... I reused the old clutch that came with the car. I fear that I will need to get a new clutch soon. It does feel like it slips only sometimes... so... I am looking into the JWT PP...

However... I don't want to put anything that will or possibly damage the tranny...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts