Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so when I start my car this loud metal bang happens. Doesn't do it while I'm driving. its just in the morning when when I first start it. Anybody have any clue what that might be. sounds horrible and I want to fix this. one morning I started it, it idled for a few seconds then went down in rpms and shut off twice, Then changed a vacuum hose adapter and it started back up but did that loud clank when I started it again but didn't die

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only noise I heard the really loud valves which I know I need to change. its one big bang, I'm a freak about listening to every noise I can. the tranny is making noise I noticed. There is a random metal tapping noise that comes and goes when its idling, I went under the car and heard that. The piston slap what does that mean? It happens when the starter is turning over the motor and as soon as it actually starts there's that one bang and no more. I. my passenger side motor mount is in alright condition. I replaced the front, the tranny mount is good, but the rear mount definitely needs to be changed. I noticed this started to happen after the last time I changed my spark plugs. me and a friend also recently put in a new lower oil pan but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Could be something with your starter then, when it disengages from the flywheel.

Piston slap happens when a piston fits too loosely in the cylinder (for a variety of reasons), especially when the engine is cold and the metal hasn't expanded yet. When the motor first turns over, the rod pushes on the piston and the skirt (bottom part of the piston) literally smacks into the wall of the cylinder. Rare condition for even a haphazardly-maintained SR20, but not unheard-of. If it's really just one bang, and doesn't simply taper off, this probably isn't your problem.

I'd take a good look at the starter, mounting bolts, etc.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I went to take a video, but no sound this time. I'm wondering if it's because its not cold out anymore. Usually its when I start it in the morning to go to work.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks I went and researched it and listened to some vids on youtube and I'm pretty sure its not piston slap. I will definitely take a look at the starter when I get time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mine makes a pretty loud, tap tap tap. From a cold start. As soon as oil pressure comes up the sound disappears. I think it's just the head tapping till it gets oil.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Throttle position reading was all to specs, I'm going to check the base idle as as its not pouring rain on me. For a while I had a bad leak because of the oil pan, I was replacing oil ever other day. Hopefully that didn't do too much wear and tear. I've already replaced the timing chain tensioner, so the oil pressure tapping from that went away, but I do have that tapping coming from the tranny.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No 5th gear pop out, I just replaced the gear oil about 2 months ago if that. clutch was replaced 3k miles before I got the car, it had had 143k that was last year now 158 :(

·
Registered
533 Posts
My engine makes a ticking noise only when it is in gear and accelerating, not while idling or when I press in the clutch to put it into neutral. I will be checking the exhaust down pipe flange bolts. As I recall, one of the three threaded studs came out when I was going about removing the nuts from the studs in order to lower the downpipe during oil pan removal project. The down pipe's heat shield might be loose, too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts