Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, when you buy a car from out of state, who's plates do you wear going home?

for GA, your tags are supposed to follow the driver... so when i get to NJ and pick up my car, do I just slap my old plate on there or what?

insurance co. said they can insure me on the spot, so i know that end is good, i just don't know what to do if the guy in jersey says i can't use his plate to drive home.

when gellian and i sold her car, we let the south carolina guy use our plates, and he mailed it back.

what do you guys think? do i take my plate with me and put it on the new car?

ga dmv website is useless.

·
Registered
20,855 Posts
I don't know why anyone would keep it unless it was a personal plate. Never heard of the tag being associated with the driver. If the NJ plate on the car is up to date you'll be fine for the trip home and X number of days till your required to register it in your name. I know in washington as long as the year/month tabs are current you have 15 days to register it. If the tag is expired or missing, you can buy a 3 or 5 day temp permit that you fill out when you need it and stick in the back window and if you end up not needing it then as long as you didn't fill out the car info and date you can just hold onto it for later use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts