Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! I am in a bit of a desperate situation with 1999 Infiniti G20t (emissions). I am getting two error codes on my OBDII Scanner, P0440, and P1448. As I have discovered with some research, P0440 basically means the computer is saying "I have a problem with the EVAP system", and the P1448 code, says "The purge canister solenoid valve is stuck open". I pulled the purge solenoid valve out, and examined it. It's perfectly clean internally/externally! it actually looks brand new, almost as if its never even moved the valve inside at all! and it has new bolts fastening it down to the intake manifold (it was probably replaced by the previous owner). This raises a concern, because if it is indeed "functional" then the computer might not be sending the signal to move the valve (if that is how it works) which means i would have to get a new computer. The other question I have is this: How do you test the solenoid to see if its working? I've determined that the wiring harness does indeed give 14v-15v while the alternator is running but I haven't gotten a pin out diagram for the harness, so i cant be sure where to apply voltage to the coil(s). Also, on another note, where is the purge canister located? Can't seem to find solid info.

Thank you everyone who takes the time to respond, any help i can get is greatly appreciated!

here are some pictures of the solenoid valve, looks clean and new (i had already put it back together by the time i took pictures so there isnt a picture of the inside, sorry).

https://ibb.co/mmswuf
https://ibb.co/ds6Wuf
https://ibb.co/c5VD70
https://ibb.co/iuQPEf

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
As it turns out... I replaced the purge solonoid (the correct one) and reset the computer, and the same codes came back after a couple days.
I think what happened, is that your purge solenoid was working fine, that's what in MMD's post he recommended

"You can test the valve by blowing into the outlet where the hose was connected. With no voltage to the terminals you should have free air flow. With 12 volts to the terminals (see FSM for polarity) there should be no air flow."

So, I strongly believe, where you are at right now, is when the ECU is attempting to close the purge control valve, it is detecting a leak. 99+ g20's have metal tanks, they can rust on the top of the tank and develop a leak there, or hoses/evap can itself. Another possible option is that there is a break/loss of continuity in the wire/plug that is not allowing the ECU to open/close the purge control valve (less likely option, but also something to look into).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you ferrari21 for that insight. I was not aware of the rusting gas tank, but my dad mentioned checking for voltage on the harness (I will do this next). I did check if the solonoid was holding a seal by blowing in it, and it wasn't letting air through, but I put the new one in anyways. The weird thing is, both old and new purge valve do the opposite of what was said. When no volts is applied, it is sealed, but when 12 volts is applied, it's open and let's air through. Strange. Maybe I have the wrong part, and have had the wrong part The whole time (I didn't get the one that MMD used, cuz I had already purchased a $20 one on ebay before posting this thread, that is exactly like the one that was on the car already). The other thing is, how would I go about checking where a leak is? I'm not terribly experienced in car repair, but willing to learn.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How odd. I just rechecked the FSM (although it's for a 2001, hard to believe it would be different for the '99). You should have free air flow with no voltage. You can push the plunger up with a small thin screw driver and then get no air flow when when you blow thru it. I would double check the part number to be sure if it's the right one for your car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find it crazy how difficult the info for this car is to obtain. this is the "Vapor canistor purge solenoid valve" That i put on my car following MMD's instructions: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vapor-Cani...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

now that i think about it, it does say "Vent CUT valve" i guess thats also the wrong part huh? if that is indeed the wrong part, why was it exactly where MMD said it was going to be xD. maybe the actual solenoid we are talking about is nearby it? i would have to go jack up the car to find out. any ideas? btw what does "FSM" stand for, couldnt find out with google.

·
Registered
46 Posts
FSM - Factory Service Manual. Downloads here:

https://nicoclub.com/archives/infiniti-g20-factory-service-manuals.html

That part you linked to is not the one I referenced. The terminology isn't good and I can see your confusion. The valve you want to inspect is attached to the canister itself. Look at the EC chapter of the manual. It's the only one that is attached. You should be able to locate it fairly easily once you find the canister (black plastic box).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That makes so much more sense now! Well I'm glad there's still a good chance it's something easily replaceable (hah, easily, as I pick dirt out of my eyes). Thank you for being patient with me btw, MMD and ferrari21 you guys have been wonderfully helpful, and I will be taking another run at this as soon as my new Dorman 911-501 OE arrives! I do have one more piece of info to add though, and I really should've put this in the original post, but here it is: My G20 has had a weird "Jerking/Lerching" issue. When I'm in 1st and 2nd gear especially, if I'm accelerating and I let off the throttle, it jerks rather violently forward and back as it slows down. The reason I bring this up is because my dad, who is experienced in car repair, thinks it is directly related to the EVAP system. Any ideas? Sorry I just love picking brains, lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to update this thread and say it is solved! I replaced the correct part, and after a few days the monitors all completed as "OK". I then went and passed emissions and got my tabs, thank you MMD for getting me the right info!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts