Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up at the bus stop waiting for my sister and I decided to adjust my steering column height. I adjusted it all the way down and at that moment it turned off...the entire car just shut off. My security light blinks and the dome light goes on when I open the door. Also if the key is in the egnition and the door is ajar the chiming starts. I checked my egnition fuses and starter fuses in the stirring column but none of them were blown. PLEASE I NEED HELP TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IS WRONG. Any thing will be of assistance.

·
Registered
978 Posts
you did try to adjust it back up...right? Maybe it's a fault in the ignition switch.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I adjusted it back up but nothing happened. I also tried disconnecting the battery but that didnt work either. I have a fear that when I brought the column down it cut a wire and I have to remove the lower portion of steering column. Thank you guys for your help and if anyone else has some suggestions I am all ears.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Look for a connectors that may have pulled open.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jjacob said:
Look for a connectors that may have pulled open.
are you saying behind the steering column?
I have to miss school tomorrow because this is my only car and I plan on getting up early just to try and figure out what the hell happend. Why does this have to happen to me?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am now looking at the inside of the steering column but cannot find any loose wires or anything looking out of place. I also noticed that none of the electronics are working except for the security light, door chime, and the dome light on the roof. I dont know if that might help any one deciffer what is going on but I hope it might.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You need to probably check all of your fuses, especially the big ones under the hood. When you moved the column you may have shorted a wire to ground which blew a main fuse. Moving the column back up and finding the fuse that is blown may fix it.

It may also still be a disconnected wire or connector.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The battery isnt dead because all the lights work...and I checked all the egnition fuses and starter fuses...one thing that seemed rather odd when I was checking fuses was that the bottom few row of fuses all had power (I used a electical light) but the top ones didnt. Also when I pulled off the passenger side fuse box cover in the engine bay and checked for life the A/C fuse wasnt blown but the part that supplies it with electricity didnt have a current running through it but the other fuses had currents running to them. I asked one of my friends at work and he said that it might be the alternator or I fryed the entire electrical system. Any thoughts on this opinion?

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
i thingk merlin is on point with his first post. If you moved stering and it car cut off inspect wireing in the collumn. it could have posibly bowen a fuse. What bad luck that is.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You either have a blown fuse somewhere or there is a short somewhere in the column. You need to check all of the wiring in the column. That is most likely where your problem is.
At some point you may have to take it to a professional to troubleshoot this for you.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had it towed yesterday...when they fiind out whats wrong I will edit this in hopes that if this ever happens to anyone else they will be able to know what might be wrong with their car...Also thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas on what might have happened, you guys are great.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well it kinda sounds like the same thing that happened to me a few weeks ago.
If it has the NATS , then there might have been a wire that was grounded from the antenna that sits behind the ignition switch that send a signal to the ECU. Check the fuse thats a 7.5 amp fuse it says " electronic parts " its in white bold & its at the upper right.
the same thing happened to me when i tried to short the OBD port. Is your CEL light on?

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
he does not have nats. it just makes sence that on of the wires tied with ignition switch grounded and turned the car off.
with nats mnulfunction the car will crank but not start. I have seens lots of keys be at fualt people drop them over and over and crack the chip is the most comun thing

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: I blew an ignition fuse from a faulty ignition. The guy I took the car to replaced the fuse and then the ignition began to get hot. He is replacing it and it should be fixed by tomorrow. Thanks to all who helped :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
siberianbackstabber said:
UPDATE: I blew an ignition fuse from a faulty ignition. The guy I took the car to replaced the fuse and then the ignition began to get hot. He is replacing it and it should be fixed by tomorrow. Thanks to all who helped :)

Cool , at least you got to the root of the problem , i know how crappy it feels to have something happen & not have any answers ....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts