Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok first think i did to get getter mpg is a higher flow muffler whitch increased mpg from abou 190-200 miles on a 3/4 of a tank to about 240. then at about two fill-ups later it goes back to where it was. then i did a clean out f everything i could and mpg went up then back down again. after that got a high-flow air filter mpg went up and back down. and now may latest attempt at increasing mpg was re-grounding the moter and cleaning al the rust from the ground point where the batt i bolted to the frame and after THAT i got about 260 miles to 3/4 of a tank and now after only one fill-up it wnet back down to 220 on 3/4. does anybody know what is happening or why? please!

and sorry for WOT(wall of text)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Nothing you are doing is going to effect gas mileage very much. You probably need to do a tune up (plugs, cap, rotor, make sure air filter is clean) and check your timing. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. After doing all of this, check your mileage before moving on to the next "level" of fixing.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have advanced timing to about 17 degrees plugs are fairly new, cap is new, don't have money for wires or rotor, is there a way to perhaps clean the rotor? tires are inflated to proper specs.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have cleaned sr20 caps/rotors with contact cleaner and a wire brush and had fairly good results. I only did this because it was going to be almost a week before my replacement parts came in. Checking mileage to "about 3/4 tank" is never going to be accurate, you need to fill it up and drive it until the gas light comes on to get a halfway accurate representation of how much gas you've burned. It would be even better to fill it up, drive however many miles to the next fill up and then base your math on how much gas you were able to put into it on the second fill compared to the miles. That all being said, your style of driving has almost everything to do with gas mileage and is about the only thing i can see causing this much fluxuation in economy without the car running poorly. Good luck!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup. and X i don't drive too diferently between fill-ups so that isn't the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts