Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone know what this cable plugs into, the guy i just bought this off of had a low mileage imported engine installed and it runs rough, this cable is wrapped with the cables going to the injectors does anyone know what it plugs into? Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I'd check the IAC/ACC system. What color are the wires?? Is it one of those plugs with a latch or one with the wire bail?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
scooterzsl- that would make sense it looks like from other pictures they deleted the old egr system when they installed this "new" engine.

lysander - found the iac thing next to the oil filter (correct?) what are the symptoms that that could be bad? basically it fires right up and idles at about 1300-1500 then "settles down" after it warms up to about 800-900 but it has a strong vibration that goes thru the car and especially the steering wheel then if you give it some gas it revs up and idles at about 1300-1500 then slowly goes back down to 800-900 again.

Heres a pictures of the plug if it helps:

edit: for you time:

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
Haha, no need to post scantily clothed women to get results... but damn, that sure does help.

But, I am 99.9% sure that the plug is an EGR related plug, which was probably deleted due to the JDM swap. The cause for your irregular idle is probably due to the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) This is basically a screw that you open or close to adjust your idle. In order to due this correctly you will need to unplug the tps sensor and set it. I hope this helps, I've had a little too much to drink tonight so bare with me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Idle control system would make it stall out at low revs. The cable/plug is from the body to the motor (US) or motor to body (JDM)? Color of wires (so it can be looked up in FSM). If the plug/cable is from the JDM setup, it won't be in the FSM. There's also the possibility that the plug has nothing to do with why it's running bad.

BTW, I've got a parts car I bought that has a bad engine (bad compression one cyl) which appears to be a JDM swap-out like yours. These JDM engines are imported all crated up and supposedly checked out. Is there a mechanical reason WHY they are parted out in Japan and end up salvage??

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lysander said:
Idle control system would make it stall out at low revs. The cable/plug is from the body to the motor (US) or motor to body (JDM)? Color of wires (so it can be looked up in FSM). If the plug/cable is from the JDM setup, it won't be in the FSM. There's also the possibility that the plug has nothing to do with why it's running bad.

BTW, I've got a parts car I bought that has a bad engine (bad compression one cyl) which appears to be a JDM swap-out like yours. These JDM engines are imported all crated up and supposedly checked out. Is there a mechanical reason WHY they are parted out in Japan and end up salvage??
i think its original, can't tell what the colors are right now, i actually lived in japan for a winter and with out googling it to find out for sure i was told that they actually cut the front half of the car off and send it over as a car, they arn't allowed to actually import the engine itself but they can import a car, so they cut them in 1/2 and when they get over here part them out and recycle the bodies, thats what i was told when i was over there talking to a guy, they have annual car inspections that they either call the Japanese Car Inspection (JCI) or they have to have it inspected to get Japanese Compulsary Insurance (JCI), it could have failed the inspection, but more than likely its thier culture they have to have new cars their cars drop in value like a rock over there and i heard that the japanese government gives a car an official value of $0 after its like 15 years old or something (even mercedes, bentleys ect) either way driving around in an older car over there is sort of disgracefull and thats probably the real reason people get rid of them. A typical 10 year old car over there has 1/2 as many miles as it would i America and is worth usually 1/2 as much if it has dings or dents then it isn't worth basically anything so thats probably why they can scrap them so cheaply.

I'll try cleaning the iac out but it looks like fun so it'll have to wait for a sunny day.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I actually went a took a look at my '92 parts car- the plug is definitely to the EGR, two round items, assorted cables and hoses that sit on the top of the intake manifold on low ports. Your EGR setup is missing altogether. Not sure how that would effect performance. I'll look for a pic.

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
lysander said:
I actually went a took a look at my '92 parts car- the plug is definitely to the EGR, two round items, assorted cables and hoses that sit on the top of the intake manifold on low ports. Your EGR setup is missing altogether. Not sure how that would effect performance. I'll look for a pic.
There are no ill-effects performance wise if you are lacking your EGR setup, like I said... I chose to remove mine, it makes for a cleaner engine bay. However, it will have an effect on your emissions if your particular city tests your car. But my guess is even then you probably don't have to worry about it. Your car is an OBD-1 and to test that they just stick a sniffer up your exhaust to test the gases, you should be able to pass even with it removed (I did in my old Honda when it was registered in Cincinnati)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts