Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So were getting to the last point of building my engine and we followed the timing chain procedure actually had to use the chain from the jdm motor cus the new one was 4 links too short, but even after when we are trying to install the sprockets the chain still doesn't have enough slack to fit on everything. Now we haven't
totally done the cam tightening sequence yet but I would think it wouldn't make a difference to fit the sprockets in the correct place. Also the s3 cams don't even fully seat in place. We are stumped what noob thing are we doing?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I did what Charles said and torqued down all the camshaft caps the cams then seated. All lubed up got the exhaust side of the chain on no sweat but the intake side was such a pain in the ass I gave up last night. Will be back at it after work today.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I got the timing chain on both cam sprockets, exhaust is at 12 o'clock and intake is at 10 o'clock. now im nervous though because if I remember correctly when taking apart the engine last year. I'm pretty sure I could easily move everything by twisting the crank pulley if I wanted to, but now I can barely budge it. Is it just me or does this sound horribly wrong??? the crank is at TDC also just to be clear

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Easy way to tell if you are going to crush valves or if the motor is set properly, is to pull all 4 spark plugs with everything installed. Turn the motor slowly with a breaker bar from the crank pulley. The motor will not build compression with the spark plugs removed, should be easy to turn for the most part, and you can literally feel if the timing is correct on the motor.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
K thanks I will try that today
Don't force to turn the motor either, you can still potentially bend or break things. Ideally it is still best to pull the cams off, pull out the spark plugs, set the motor to TDC, then put the cams back on with the timing marks lined up. I wanted to warn you in case something goes wrong, and I don't want to be the ahole that gave you bad advice. I don't know how off your timing currently is, so I am providing advice based upon what has been written.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I stopped anyways till I can get a chain wrench for the pulley so it won't spin. I had already marked the pulley from when the crank was set at tdc and the cams were exactly where they needed to be

1 - 13 of 13 Posts