Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
LAST5DOA
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go the cheaper route, instead of getting a Remus or Greddy, I decided to go to local perf. shop and get an exhast.

I told them I didn't want anything LOUD. They suggested a MagnaFlow. So I looked through the catalog and picked out a daul tip, mirror finished, Street Series:
2.25 inlet, 2.75" x 2.5" Tip,
Single Wall, Square Angle,
Rolled, 7" Length

$190 U.S. + $50- $70(if bending is needed) installation.

Is this a good exhast/price??? N E 1 have one???

Here's link tho web page P/N 14833http://www.magnaflow.com/03mirrorstreet.htm

Any input is appreciated!!-Thanks =)

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
I have a Magnaflo. Pretty similar to what you're thinking of getting. I used the stock resonator and it was a little loud for me. So I had a bigger resonator put in and it seemed quieter but it was a little droney.

If you don't want loud then get them to put the biggest PERFORATED core resonator in. If it's a louvered core tell them to go to hell and don't buy anything they tell you if they say it's OK. Get a PERFORATED core resonator. That should quite it down a bunch.

·
LAST5DOA
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GR8! They say that it's a STR8 through PERFORATED steel core. And they say: No louvers, No baffles, and No sharp turns.

Do you think I"ll still need a "bigger resonator"? (is this the same thing as the perf. core). Would that be custom work or does MagnaFlow have different Perf. sizes that you can get???

Are you happy w/ your MagnaFlow's performance/appearance ???
I was thinking of painting the back+tips black to hide it. And what do you mean by "droney" ???

Getting an exhast is like playin' Russian Roulette (SP?). Better yet, like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get. =)

Thanks 4 tha HELP!!

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
"G"-sus! said:
GR8! They say that it's a STR8 through PERFORATED steel core. And they say: No louvers, No baffles, and No sharp turns.

Do you think I"ll still need a "bigger resonator"? (is this the same thing as the perf. core). Would that be custom work or does MagnaFlow have different Perf. sizes that you can get???

Are you happy w/ your MagnaFlow's performance/appearance ???
I was thinking of painting the back+tips black to hide it. And what do you mean by "droney" ???

Getting an exhast is like playin' Russian Roulette (SP?). Better yet, like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get. =)

Thanks 4 tha HELP!!
True it's tough. I've been though 3 different custom muffler systems. I'm still not happy, mostly because I didn't know what to ask for.

If you want it quiet get the biggest perforated core resonator you can fit. If you want to take a chance, skip it, save some money but be prepared to go back and get one put in. ;)

The muffler is probably already straight through perforated core, I would have assumed that already from Dynomax.

What I mean by droney is that at crusing speed on the highway you'll get a droning sound from the muffler. It's kind of hard to describe until you hear it. It'll give you headaches. Some people avoid it by cranking the radio. :D

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
About mufflers in general, is there a rule of thumb when it comes to choosing a muffler? I was thinking of getting a universal muffler after I get my Hotshot headers and I thought it probably won't matter what I get as long as it's a straight through design with a tunable silencer/resonator, right?:confused:

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
Well the web site I used to look up muffler parts is:

http://www.promuffler.com/magnaflow.htm#Offset-Inlet   /  Center-Outlet 

That link shows the muffler that would be best for a P10 (IMO).
I'm planning to go with the 2.25" stainless unit (single tip).
Over all length 24".

As for the resonator, I'm planning to go with the 18" length unit. and have it all welded it all together with mandrel u-bends.

I'd agree with Jason's comments on the resonator.. you can either pay me now, or pay me more later (reminds me of times I've given the business a recommendation on IT systems, and then them not listening!: )

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
G-Forces said:

That's the muffler I've got.

You need a resonator with this exhaust. I used the stock resonator at first, then upgraded to another resonator. I'm still not happy as I think they stiffed me with a louvered core resonator. It feels choked off at times. :(
When you say choked off, do you mean that the engine feels less responsive?:confused:
BTW, that muffler looks REAL nice.=) =)

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
G-Forces said:

That's the muffler I've got.

You need a resonator with this exhaust. I used the stock resonator at first, then upgraded to another resonator. I'm still not happy as I think they stiffed me with a louvered core resonator. It feels choked off at times. :(
Hey, great minds think alike! ; -) And I agree with Mr.Ryte, that muffler does look good. The only think I'd like better would be a larger muffler to help to keep the noise down, but then we might have fitment issues if it was too thick/wide.

I'm planning to go with that one!! BTW Jason, what kind of tip is that? And what's the cost?

Also, can you post a picture that shows the car from the back, from normal standing height, so I can see how that tip looks from that stand point?

Thanks.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
G20-Budo said:
I'm planning to go with that one!! BTW Jason, what kind of tip is that? And what's the cost?

Also, can you post a picture that shows the car from the back, from normal standing height, so I can see how that tip looks from that stand point?
It's a 3" or 3.5" Ractive tip. I don't remember the cost maybe like $50CDN? It was a long time ago and I can't find my receipt. :(

Here's a pic from behind.

Mr Ryte: I was refering to the new resonator I had the put on. I didn't really know much about them and while it was a bit quieter it also feels choked now.

BTW that magnaflo sounds AWESOME!

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
G-Forces said:

It's a 3" or 3.5" Ractive tip. I don't remember the cost maybe like $50CDN? It was a long time ago and I can't find my receipt. :(

Pretty nice.. I mean, even though it's on a P11!!:lick:

·
Registered
118 Posts
From what I know the Greddy EVO is a lot quieter then Magnaflo. And if that is still too loud...you can always try to stick a resonator on that thing.

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
fuzzynaval said:
From what I know the Greddy EVO is a lot quieter then Magnaflo. And if that is still too loud...
Ok, whats the cost on a Geddy EVO?

And where do you know of to get one?

·
Registered
118 Posts
G20-Budo said:

Ok, whats the cost on a Geddy EVO?

And where do you know of to get one?
In So Cal I go through Dynamic Autosports. I don't know where it where else you can get one. Maybe Luke can get you one. He has it fo 539.95. You can ask him for a better price.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
The Greddy EVO is P11 only. I think Greddy makes an MX for the P10's.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
G-Forces said:

Mr Ryte: I was refering to the new resonator I had the put on. I didn't really know much about them and while it was a bit quieter it also feels choked now.

BTW that magnaflo sounds AWESOME!
OK, so you're saying that the new resonator is causing some back pressure then?:confused:
How does the muffler sound at 60-85mph? WOT?

·
LAST5DOA
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna get the Magnaflow and see how it sounds first, then go back and get another resonator put in if it's too loud. I didn't know you can put different resonators in the exhast---am I understanding you correctly???

Is there a difference between single/double walls (sound?)? Plus I am getting the "Street Series" (supposed to be more quiet) is this the series you have J?

I'm really nervous about the sound, am I better off just getting headers put in??? What is the difference performance wise? I was told I would need an exhast w/ headers b/c may cause future problems (cracking).

Sorry 'bout all the ???'s

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
"G"-sus! said:
Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna get the Magnaflow and see how it sounds first, then go back and get another resonator put in if it's too loud. I didn't know you can put different resonators in the exhast---am I understanding you correctly???

Is there a difference between single/double walls (sound?)? Plus I am getting the "Street Series" (supposed to be more quiet) is this the series you have J?

I'm really nervous about the sound, am I better off just getting headers put in??? What is the difference performance wise? I was told I would need an exhast w/ headers b/c may cause future problems (cracking).

Sorry 'bout all the ???'s
I think the new resonator they put in is causing a restriction yes. I can't confirm it unless I tested different exhausts with my current setup. :-\

You will need a resonator if you want quiet. Like I said I used the same muffler and the stock resonator and it was too loud. Even now with the new one it's a little droney. You could get a header without an exhaust. The g20 exhaust is pretty good actually.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
G-Forces said:

I think the new resonator they put in is causing a restriction yes. I can't confirm it unless I tested different exhausts with my current setup. :-\

You will need a resonator if you want quiet. Like I said I used the same muffler and the stock resonator and it was too loud. Even now with the new one it's a little droney. You could get a header without an exhaust. The g20 exhaust is pretty good actually.
Well, you are right about that. The stock G20 exhaust is pretty darn good for an OEM. So instead of a whole new exhaust, perhaps I'll just get a shiny tip that can at least give it a good look.=)

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
G-Forces said:
The Greddy EVO is P11 only. I think Greddy makes an MX for the P10's.
DOH!! I thought he was saying the Greddy EVO was a universal Muffler.. if it's the cat back, you're correct, for the P10 it's the MX, but I'll pass!

Personally I don't care for how the muffler looks on a P10, nor for out it hangs way down..

I'll go with the magnaflow.

(thanks for straightening that out Jason).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts